Miss_JDior
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
It is part of my summer work before I start AQA AS Physics in September, and the question is:
Unit 1 deals with particles and quantum phenomena. What is meant by quantum phenomena?
Any ideas??
uberteknik
  • Study Helper
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Miss_JDior)
It is part of my summer work before I start AQA AS Physics in September, and the question is:
Unit 1 deals with particles and quantum phenomena. What is meant by quantum phenomena?
Any ideas??
Quantum physics is all about how the universe behaves and is modelled at the very small (sub/atomic scales). It is quite unlike anything we observe in everyday life and is completely counter-intuitive.

What we think of as continuous, like light for instance is, in fact, made up of particles and 'packets' of energy which can only have very fixed and finite values called 'quanta'.

It's a bit like looking at a tall building from afar which seems to be solid. but get close and you can see it's made from individual bricks of two or three different sizes.

It gets more wierd. Light can behave like a wave (similar to the waves on a string) or individual particles. These waves and particles can appear in two places at the same time! And it does not stop there either.

If you have specific questions, try posting the in the physics study-help forum where plenty of people will help you out.

In the meantime have a look here:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics
Miss_JDior
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by uberteknik)
Quantum physics is all about how the universe behaves and is modelled at the very small (sub/atomic scales). It is quite unlike anything we observe in everyday life and is completely counter-intuitive.

What we think of as continuous, like light for instance is, in fact, made up of particles and 'packets' of energy which can only have very fixed and finite values called 'quanta'.

It's a bit like looking at a tall building from afar which seems to be solid. but get close and you can see it's made from individual bricks of two or three different sizes.

It gets more wierd. Light can behave like a wave (similar to the waves on a string) or individual particles. These waves and particles can appear in two places at the same time! And it does not stop there either.

If you have specific questions, try posting the in the physics study-help forum where plenty of people will help you out.

In the meantime have a look here:

http://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_mechanics
Thank you so much!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (149)
60.82%
I don't have everything I need (96)
39.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise