The Student Room Group

My parents might have ruined my life...

I have 6A*s 3As and A*A*A(maths,bio,chem) at a level.

My parents forced me into a degree that I will be studying in 2-3 weeks time, I've already taken one gap year to get into this degree.
The problem is, I don't have an interest in it(that much) I want to do economics at university(SINCE I ACTUALLY ENJOY ECONOMICS AND MATHEMATICS) and I know that I could land a top job if I were to be able to go to one of the (oxbridge,UCL,LSE,Warwick) etc and my grades are good enough for UCL and warwick Im sure.

I've recently managed to allow my parents to apply for this course but, tbh, its too late I think... Would I be right in thinking these universities will not accept a student like me? Because I would have taken 2 gap years? I don't have much work experience in these sectors because, again, my parents wouldn't let me. Im going to try and BEG the universities tomorrow to take me, but I don't really have high hopes for this either.

I really don't know what to do :frown:
Has anyone been in a similar position before, or anyone know what to do??

Scroll to see replies

**** Your parents!!!!

Its your life!!! THEY WASTED YOUR LIFES 1 YEAR!!!

Stand up and do what YOU WANT!!!

Change Courses, move out/change UNI

DO SOMETHING!!!! There is still a bit of time! you can go through clearing!
Reply 2
So why don't you want to do Medicine?
Original post by ando181
I have 6A*s 3As and A*A*A(maths,bio,chem) at a level.

My parents forced me into a degree that I will be studying in 2-3 weeks time, I've already taken one gap year to get into this degree.
The problem is, I don't have an interest in it(that much) I want to do economics at university(SINCE I ACTUALLY ENJOY ECONOMICS AND MATHEMATICS) and I know that I could land a top job if I were to be able to go to one of the (oxbridge,UCL,LSE,Warwick) etc and my grades are good enough for UCL and warwick Im sure.

I've recently managed to allow my parents to apply for this course but, tbh, its too late I think... Would I be right in thinking these universities will not accept a student like me? Because I would have taken 2 gap years? I don't have much work experience in these sectors because, again, my parents wouldn't let me. Im going to try and BEG the universities tomorrow to take me, but I don't really have high hopes for this either.

Has anyone been in a similar position before, or anyone know what to do??

personally I haven't been in the same position but I'm sure with amazing grades that you have you will be able to get in :smile: don't lose hope smarty pants hope you do well :biggrin:
Reply 4
What degree did they force you to do? I assume medicine lol.
Original post by Blue230699
personally I haven't been in the same position but I'm sure with amazing grades that you have you will be able to get in :smile: don't lose hope smarty pants hope you do well :biggrin:

I don't think they'll accept someone whos taken 2 gap years and applied for a completely different course :frown: I don't know what to do

If I do my course, it'll lead to a well paying, respected job.
If I don't do my course and reapply, theres a chance they wont give me a place... and then I cant do anything...
How do your parents not let you do things? I assume you're 19, nearing 20, so you're an adult. They can't stop you from doing what you want.
To answer your question... What course are you doing in September? Is it possible to transfer to economics?
Reply 7
why on earth are you letting your parents dictate your future? Would you let them pick your car, house or future wife too? You need to do what you want to do!
Reply 8
Original post by ando181
i have 6a*s 3as and a*a*a(maths,bio,chem) at a level.

My parents forced me into a degree that i will be studying in 2-3 weeks time, i've already taken one gap year to get into this degree.
The problem is, i don't have an interest in it(that much) i want to do economics at university(since i actually enjoy economics and mathematics) and i know that i could land a top job if i were to be able to go to one of the (oxbridge,ucl,lse,warwick) etc and my grades are good enough for ucl and warwick im sure.

I've recently managed to allow my parents to apply for this course but, tbh, its too late i think... Would i be right in thinking these universities will not accept a student like me? Because i would have taken 2 gap years? I don't have much work experience in these sectors because, again, my parents wouldn't let me. Im going to try and beg the universities tomorrow to take me, but i don't really have high hopes for this either.

has anyone been in a similar position before, or anyone know what to do??

fight for your place at university. I let my bastard older brother bully me onto a degree that i hated and i never forgave myself.. Don't fall into the same trap...
Original post by ando181
I don't think they'll accept someone whos taken 2 gap years and applied for a completely different course :frown: I don't know what to do

If I don't do my course and reapply, theres a chance they wont give me a place... and then I cant do anything...

You can definitely get in having taken gap years. Economics is not like Medicine where you need loads of relevant experience, all you need is good grades and a demonstration of interest in that subject.
Reply 10
I don't see how the fact you'll have taken 2 yrs off will make a difference! I'm 29 and starting uni next month
Original post by llamaspoon
How do your parents not let you do things? I assume you're 19, nearing 20, so you're an adult. They can't stop you from doing what you want.
To answer your question... What course are you doing in September? Is it possible to transfer to economics?

They can, and they did. TBH, they were only happy when I told them I'd do the degree they wanted me to, its not that bad - but its not what i want to do. I told them that I enjoy mathematics and its application - but they would have none of it, until recently.

My course has absolutely no relevance to economics and no, I wouldn't be able to transfer.
Reply 12
Just do medicine man.

+Great career prospects
+ Good pay
+ Great prestige
+ Interesting Career

Don't **** it up for a job in the city that is too damn hard these days to get.
Original post by Kj2013
why on earth are you letting your parents dictate your future? Would you let them pick your car, house or future wife too? You need to do what you want to do!

Its not so much as to decide, but it was a way to please them. Its difficult to explain but thats the situation I was in
Original post by RAV 123
What degree did they force you to do? I assume medicine lol.

Close.
If you're already going to one of the unis you mentioned, you could stick with it and change course when you start. Seeing as you want to do something like econ though, you might be out of luck as it's a heavily over-subscribed course. You'll have to phone up and ask, I'm afraid we can't really help you. I wouldn't recommend a second gap year - you'll remember nothing!
Reply 16
Grow some balls and tell your parents that your life is your own, and you are going to do what you want to do with it!!!

I am not trying to be derogatory; I am trying to get you to see that if you don't stand up for yourself and have the courage to fulfill your own goals, you will regret it for the rest of your life, no exaggeration.

If you don't convince the admissions staff tomorrow, take another gap year: do not spend £30k on something that you don't want. Use that year to get work experience. This will benefit your application for next year and will allow you to get stuck into the field of work that you 'actually enjoy!'
Original post by godd
Just do medicine man.

+Great career prospects
+ Good pay
+ Great prestige
+ Interesting Career

Don't **** it up for a job in the city that is too damn hard these days to get.

It wasn't medicine, but it was close.
There are a lot of jobs in the city, all pay well for someone who goes to a target university.
Medicine doesn't have good pay lol, are you stupid?
Original post by ando181

If you ask me I think you should truly do what you want to do because at the end of the day it's your life. Do what makes you happy and do what you think is best for you. I think you have amazing grades so you have a good chance of getting into the university in my opinion good luck!:smile:
Original post by Getting_Started
If you're already going to one of the unis you mentioned, you could stick with it and change course when you start. Seeing as you want to do something like econ though, you might be out of luck as it's a heavily over-subscribed course. You'll have to phone up and ask, I'm afraid we can't really help you. I wouldn't recommend a second gap year - you'll remember nothing!

Im pessimistic, and I think this may happen...

Quick Reply

Latest