Wandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Ok so you got your GCSE results and they weren't quite what you hoped for.

I don't know if my story might encourage one or two people, not to give up on their dreams and hopes for the future.

I didn't really get along with education, I was placed in a remedial class at 7 years old and there I sat till I was 9, by this time point in my life I was practically written off as a "no-hoper". I sat my GCSE's in 1990, my home circumstances weren't great and my parents weren't really bothered at all about my education. Consequently I got:

Child Development and Biology D
History, Maths, English Language and English Literature E
Physics F
French G
RSA 1 Typing Fail

I was focused and knew what I wanted to do with my life. I wanted to be a nurse. I decided to go to college, I was turned down for the "pre-nursing course" as my grades weren't good enough and deemed unable to meet the academic challenges of a BTEC 1st. So I went on to undertake the now defunct City and Guilds 331 in Family and Community Care, which even in 1990 most nursing colleges did not recognise. I also re-sat my GCSE's in English Language and Literature and Child Development. I attained C's In English Literature and Child Development but only a D in English. I passed City and Guilds 331 with 2 Credits and Distinction. I also passed the "Donald Charles Test", again this is now no longer in use, but it proved that I had the academic ability to complete a nursing course. Unfortunately as it took three attempts most nursing colleges wouldn't look at me.

So I got a job as a care assistant, I loved it, but it wasn't what I wanted to do "for the rest of my life". I then got made redundant, the care home went bankrupt. Though devastating at the time, it was the best thing that happened to me as I was offered a place on a pre-nursing course. At last I was on my way. I already had, two failed attempts at getting a place behind me.

A year passed on a pittance of a wage (it was essentially, an apprenticeship) I was, however able to gain 3 NVQ level 3's in Mental Health, Supportive Living and also Promoting Independence. Four years earlier I had been told wasn't capable of passing 4 GCSEs A-C in a year, now I had passed the equivalent of 4 A levels in a year. I also passed GCSE's in Human Physiology and Health and Psychology, both with Grade B's. At the end of it I was able to gain a place at University of Northumbria to undertake a Diploma in Higher Education in Nursing, which I passed in 1998.

In 2003 I went onto gain a BSc (Hons) 2:2 in Health and Social Care and two university certificates and in 2011 I completed a Graduate Diploma in Professional Development with 63%.

I am now a senior staff nurse in a job I love, last year my manager was discussing possible career options with me. I looked into them, but discovered that my lack of GCSE in Maths and English Language at grade C or above prohibited me from taking up many of these options. So at 39 years old it was back to college I went.

I found it really hard work juggling a full time job with part time study and my health isn't great either, my tutors were fab and really supportive. Last Thursday I got my results, to my utter joy I got Maths (foundation paper) C, English speaking and listening 4 and English Language A. I did far better than I expected.

My next plan is now to look towards a teaching qualification.
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Really good read. Glad it has all worked out in the end.

Hats off to you. :hat2:
2en1
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Amazing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Mr...
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
:congrats:
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well done dude :-) You have obviously worked very hard and deserve it!
RayApparently
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
You're an inspiration, I'm glad you got where you wanted to be.
funkydee19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
This was so inspirational. You worked hard, and you earned it. You deserve every success. Thank you so much for sharing your story :bumps::clap2::congrats:
Orwellianhipster
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Definitely shows you should always go for it, inspirational!
Wandal
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Thank you, I just hope I encourage one or even two people not to give up. You may not of achieved what you set out to achieve, or what you need to achieve to pursue your dream (I needed 5 GCSE's Grade A-C), but if you are really determined and work hard you can get there.
Kerrylewis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
So what is the equivalent to the family and community care does anyone know I got 4 credits and a pass in 1997
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (449)
56.48%
I don't have everything I need (346)
43.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed