Turn on thread page Beta

Promoting moderate Muslims, and dealing with the extremists watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    You have human rights in the UK don't you? And a fused church and state.
    Mis-use of wording. I should of said religion.

Still, I stand by my point. In the UK we have a fusion (in a small part) of religion and the state - but by no means does its rules and 'moral framework' become imposed upon us. However, in Islamic countries, it often is too fused into the state at which point you start to have a more theocratic rule and Islam as a religion isn't the best to uphold the Human Rights of today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by corey)
    Mis-use of wording. I should of said religion.

Still, I stand by my point. In the UK we have a fusion (in a small part) of religion and the state - but by no means does its rules and 'moral framework' become imposed upon us. However, in Islamic countries, it often is too fused into the state at which point you start to have a more theocratic rule and Islam as a religion isn't the best to uphold the Human Rights of today.
    Yes, the Queen being Head of State and Head of the Church of England isn't really the same thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    Yes, the Queen being Head of State and Head of the Church of England isn't really the same thing.
    yes, as she often uses her powers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Weren't the dark ages the fault of the Church? Perhaps there's a pattern emerging...
    I don't know. What I do know is that once the Roman Empire collapsed Western Europe fell into a 1000 year malaise when bugger all was really achieved.

If you consider how advanced the Romans were in engineering terms I have often wondered if, had the Empire not collapsed when it did, man might have achieved flight in around 1066!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Well put it this way, it was due to the Church's regime in my and lots of other people's opinions. Anyway the point is, perhaps fanatical Christianity or Islam = underachievement; would explain a few things.
    Well, the Russian Communists were quite anti-religion and that didnt help them. I think it has more to do with the distribution of power. Corruption + totalitarianism = missallocation of resources.

ReputationRep:
    Islamic countries were streets ahead of the Western world right up until the 12th century, when a series of clashes within the clergy was resolved by a lovely chap called Imam Ghazzali. This 'forward thinking liberal' declared that 'Faith was superior to reason' and in doing so, established the stranglehold of scholasticism that so characterises the Muslim debate.

The problem is that there has been no moderation in Islam. Clerics and scholars (no matter how batty) still hold great power within the community. All you need is some deranged lunatic - and there are plenty - with a grudge against the West, and due to the hardline nature of the religion, they will be given a degree of respect.

Fact; Moslems consider the word of the Qur'an and the ways of the prophet (Hadith) to be the only way to follow life. And the consequence? Clerics and scholars take a selective view of the Qur'an and hadith and come up with mind-bogglingly hateful rhetoric against moderate Christian soceity.

The Qur'an was written for the 7th Century; no-one has been allowed to 'update' it!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.