smallsvill123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Hi,

I'm retaking a module at uni for my politics degree as i never passed. i'm still trying to fully understand detente...if anyone could summarise up/lengthy explain it from their own understanding..i'd appreciate it so much. i'm worried and terrified and running out of time. i've revised other topics; but this one i am sure will come up (realisation of it suddenly came).

So if you could explain: the causes, the period of it and why it collapsed etc... i already have the gist and whatnot; but the more i read and get viewpoints the increase of understanding i'll have of it..

thanks.
TSR Learn Together
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Hi there,

While you're waiting for an answer, did you know we have 300,000 study resources that could answer your question in TSR's Learn together section?

We have everything from Teacher Marked Essays to Mindmaps and Quizzes to help you with your work. Take a look around.

If you're stuck on how to get started, try creating some resources. It's free to do and can help breakdown tough topics into manageable chunks. Get creating now.

Thanks!

Not sure what all of this is about? Head here to find out more.
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
"It was the thaw of the cold war. International affairs was permanently loosened"
^typical textbook summary

Basically people started to realise **** was getting very serious and very scary and very expensive and common sense kicked in. From the Soviet/US side of things it's a lot to do with understanding the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis in that it got them talking, once you've made one agreement it's not to hard to make another.

Without having a more specific question it's hard to give a more details answer without it being an essay. Plus I'm not especially hot on anything until after the Cold War.
smallsvill123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by BKS)
"It was the thaw of the cold war. International affairs was permanently loosened"
^typical textbook summary

Basically people started to realise **** was getting very serious and very scary and very expensive and common sense kicked in. From the Soviet/US side of things it's a lot to do with understanding the aftermath of the Cuban Missile Crisis in that it got them talking, once you've made one agreement it's not to hard to make another.

Without having a more specific question it's hard to give a more details answer without it being an essay. Plus I'm not especially hot on anything until after the Cold War.
That was helpful. I get that the soviets and USA tried to push their differences aside, and that the detente happening was a win win for both teams. USA got to have some form of control agreement with the outlandish soviets, and felt like they were supreme and the hegemony to some extent.. also after the Vietnam war, USA knew that they had to slow their row with finances in global affairs, and that handling communism in a non-war way is definitely ideal- and due to the back home anger with people being in war in Vietnam that the people in USA had made the president want to calm international tensions and involvement.. So I kinda get why it started, but just I don't get how detente got rocky and came to an end...I've read textbooks, but they bore me so much (the ones I own)- It isn't sticking in my head and the exams on Tuesday! GULP

If you know anything else; it'd be nice if you'd share it.

Tar
BKS
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by smallsvill123)
That was helpful. I get that the soviets and USA tried to push their differences aside, and that the detente happening was a win win for both teams. USA got to have some form of control agreement with the outlandish soviets, and felt like they were supreme and the hegemony to some extent.. also after the Vietnam war, USA knew that they had to slow their row with finances in global affairs, and that handling communism in a non-war way is definitely ideal- and due to the back home anger with people being in war in Vietnam that the people in USA had made the president want to calm international tensions and involvement.. So I kinda get why it started, but just I don't get how detente got rocky and came to an end...I've read textbooks, but they bore me so much (the ones I own)- It isn't sticking in my head and the exams on Tuesday! GULP

If you know anything else; it'd be nice if you'd share it.

Tar
Throughout the cold war there was smaller battles taking place all over the world which centred around communism vs capitalism and had he baking of whichever super power. But then Afghanistan happened after years of things being reasonably quiet and the US weren't happy with the Soviet involvement and all but revoked Detente in response. Reagan, complete with his evil empire attitude, got elected and reinforced the all but revoke.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (145)
42.9%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (39)
11.54%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (28)
8.28%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (72)
21.3%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.06%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (20)
5.92%

Watched Threads