Turn on thread page Beta

Will I be at a disadvantage? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Nothing is set in stone. The admissions are just guidlines the admissions staff have to follow BUT exceptions can be made. In this case I'd say don't talk to admissions just yet but find out who the head of department is (the department you want to study in) or course leader or basically who is responsible for teaching you. Write to them and tell them how much you want to do that particular course, that you were badly advised and picked the combined A Level but now realise you should have taken Lit. Ask what reading you would have to do over the summer to bring you up to the standard they want etc. etc. ask if you should get hold of the lit sylabus and past papers and work through those.

Put your self in the tutor's position, who would you want on your course? a student you know nothing about, or one who has not got quite the qualifications asked for but who has taken the trouble to contact you personally and is willing to spend their summer studying?
    Thanks I'll do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    It looks like I won't be off to Warwick then

I read York's, and they accept it. Most places do, I wonder why it's just Warwick that don't? I wish I picked Eng lit now
    A friend of mine is going to do English lit. at Warwick next year and he did English (not literature) Alevel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bananaman)
    A friend of mine is going to do English lit. at Warwick next year and he did English (not literature) Alevel.
    Ooh really? Tell me more. Did he do the lang/lit combined? Did they give him an offer after the interview and what was the offer? What other A levels did he have?

(Sorry for all the questions)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Ooh really? Tell me more. Did he do the lang/lit combined? Did they give him an offer after the interview and what was the offer? What other A levels did he have?

(Sorry for all the questions)
    English Language and Literature. He's also doing psychology, art and history. I don't think he had an interview, but he's predicted four As.

ReputationRep:
    English Language and Literature. He's also doing psychology, art and history. I don't think he had an interview, but he's predicted four As.
    I do three of those subjects (eng, psy and hist) as well as geog but I think I'm going to drop history after AS. That's made me feel hopeful that he got an offer. I think I'll still email the admissions people though. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    I do three of those subjects (eng, psy and hist) as well as geog but I think I'm going to drop history after AS. That's made me feel hopeful that he got an offer. I think I'll still email the admissions people though. Thanks
    If you're doing EdExcel's geography A-level, the A2 is not half so good as the AS course, by the way.

ReputationRep:
    If you're doing EdExcel's geography A-level, the A2 is not half so good as the AS course, by the way.
    Yeah I am doing Edexcel, and I'm not even really enjoying the AS! What's so bad about the A2? Is it much more difficult? If I get higher results for AS in history then I will drop geog instead probably.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Yeah I am doing Edexcel, and I'm not even really enjoying the AS! What's so bad about the A2? Is it much more difficult? If I get higher results for AS in history then I will drop geog instead probably.
    The course isn't half as interesting and seems to be really poorly put together. You have one big two-hour exam where you need to know the entire year's textbook. There's also a module which is half coursework and half exam, but the mark schemes are crazy and no one's got a clue what they're playing at. The set of questions to choose from for the coursework were all quite rubbish this year and whilst the exam topic ought to be the best bit (we did natural hazards, eg. big ****off volcanoes and such), it was really dry and no one really got it. There's also a massive step-up in technique as all of the two mark or so questions are gone and the minimum you'll have to write per part question in the exams is a side to a side and a half. The weather and climate bit's good, but there's no rocks and far too much development and macroeconomics (which are arse) for my tastes.

ReputationRep:
    The course isn't half as interesting and seems to be really poorly put together. You have one big two-hour exam where you need to know the entire year's textbook. There's also a module which is half coursework and half exam, but the mark schemes are crazy and no one's got a clue what they're playing at. The set of questions to choose from for the coursework were all quite rubbish this year and whilst the exam topic ought to be the best bit (we did natural hazards, eg. big ****off volcanoes and such), it was really dry and no one really got it. There's also a massive step-up in technique as all of the two mark or so questions are gone and the minimum you'll have to write per part question in the exams is a side to a side and a half. The weather and climate bit's good, but there's no rocks and far too much development and macroeconomics (which are arse) for my tastes.
    Hmm, that sounds....well, not the most interesting of things! I am enjoying history more at the moment but I got a C in the Jan module (which I'm retaking) and that's kind of put me off the subject, especially since it gets much harder next year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~Sam~)
    Hmm, that sounds....well, not the most interesting of things! I am enjoying history more at the moment but I got a C in the Jan module (which I'm retaking) and that's kind of put me off the subject, especially since it gets much harder next year.
    yes it gets slightly harder but if u retake ur modules from the first year u tend to better, admittedly i was ill on the day of my AS modules and i got 110, 67, 67 and so i retook a module and got 90/90, i didnt do all that much revision but becuase my style had got so much better my mark went up. the school is thinking about moving all the AS modules to then (ie u do all the work in the first year and then go to a weekly revision lecutre and take the exams in jan) so that people get better marks. however its full of problems n will probably never happen, as uve got so many complications of people not deciding whether to continue history etc

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.