Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    You all seem to be talking about LLB, do you not acknowledge BA in law as a proper undergraduate degree (do firms feel this way too?) Oxford's law degree is a BA.
    so is cambridge's........the fact the magic circle firms obviously take a majority of oxbridge suggests that the BA is VERY well respected

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by young_free)
    You all seem to be talking about LLB, do you not acknowledge BA in law as a proper undergraduate degree (do firms feel this way too?) Oxford's law degree is a BA.
    Young_free, I think people on here, when using the term llb, probably intend to refer to any undergraduate law degree. As I understand it there is not a great deal of substantive difference between the llb an the BA (particularly with regard to their reputation with employers).

We can compare this with the optional £10 fee at the end of an (undergraduate) Oxbridge degree which will see that it is 'upgraded' to a Masters. Are they substantively any different? No. Does it make you more employable? Highly doubtful, given the calibre of jobs you will be applying for.

See them merely as labels. It is the meaning that the word implies that is important. It is the high standard of education of Oxbridge that makes their graduates highly regarded. To be frank, an employer won't give a damn if your law degree is BA or llb.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sick of this. YOU DO NOT NEED TO GO TO OXBRIDGE TO WORK IN A MAGIC CIRCLE FIRM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111111111 111111!111ONE!111111111!!!!!!

Oxbridge may give you a very slight advantage but that is all. Very few firms actively seek Oxbridge candidates over other Top-20s. Providing you've been to a good university, all you have to focus on is getting the grades - a good 2:1.

Also, I had interviews at firms that didn't target my university (Newcastle) but they were mainly obscure American firms. Every MC and Top 10 firm recruited there with the exception of Slaughter & May who do, as far as I'm aware, have an Oxbridge bias.

Lesson of the day: Go to a good uni, get a good degree, apply to a wide range of firms for TCs. I also can't understate the importance of getting As at A-Level. You can have a 1st but if you've BBB at A-Level, you probably won't get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    The reason people are specifying LLB rather than BA, is that at non-Oxbridge, BA's aren't generally qualifying law degrees in terms of doing the LPC afterwards. I presume Oxbridge BA's are qualifying in that they satisfy the foundation criteria for the LPC.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.