Turn on thread page Beta

is university similar to college watch

ReputationRep:
    just wondered are the teachers as cool as college ones in terms of joking about and stuff. also are there ppl who mess about ie never attend lessons etc

ReputationRep:
    my tutors and lecturers are all really cool, its all a really relaxed atmosphere. On the last day before christmas the course tutor took us to the union and bought us all a pint instead of doing the lecture

There are people on my course who hardly ever turn up, but the wont be on the course for much longer thank god. I think it is really stupid not to turn up considering you uni course is meant to be something you enjoy and want to do...

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is very serious here and one of my supervisors is an out-and-out genius. I feel ashamed to be in his presence!

ReputationRep:
    The lecturers are all cool at my uni, but I found the dead-lines etc a lot more stricter (if thats a word)

ReputationRep:
    it depends. my physics tutors are usually quite old, and quite serious. but my maths tutor is a cool dude.

ReputationRep:
    thanx for the replies
    do they sometimes tell u off if ure late or uve not handed in work etc or do they just say its ure future

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Homegrownkitten)
    The lecturers are all cool at my uni, but I found the dead-lines etc a lot more stricter (if thats a word)
    one of my flatmates coursemates missed an assignment deadline to go to a funeral, but still had some marks knocked off. I thought that was a bit harsh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    I bet I know more about football than him!
    I always have conversations with one tutor about football. He supports Chelsea, and threatened to give me a bad mark if Chelsea didn't do well in the CL (which they didn't). Hopefully he got over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by horrorboy)
    thanx for the replies
    do they sometimes tell u off if ure late or uve not handed in work etc or do they just say its ure future
    A friend sprained both her wrists and got no extension. They will throw you off the course if you don't work hard enough, they have expectations. If you are considering University you should be commited enough to not be late (unless it's beyond your control) and to work hard enough to get things in on time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    A friend sprained both her wrists and got no extension. They will throw you off the course if you don't work hard enough, they have expectations. If you are considering University you should be commited enough to not be late (unless it's beyond your control) and to work hard enough to get things in on time.
    sounds like a similar atmosphere to college

ReputationRep:
    Uni teachers don't care about your studies as much as college teachers. For instance, if you're overdue with an essay, they won't remind you time and time again about it. Uni teachers have similar powers to college teachers, but generally, students at uni are very well behaved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Baron)
    one of my flatmates coursemates missed an assignment deadline to go to a funeral, but still had some marks knocked off. I thought that was a bit harsh
    That is a bit harsh, my lecturers would have granted an extention for that, or reffered the person to 'special consideration' or what ever it is...

ReputationRep:
    I had a chest infection and really couldn't come in to uni on a day when I had a chem practical. Afterwards, I had to have model data for the write-up, and could only passed that coursework with 50%.

ReputationRep:
    Lecturers generally couldn't give a damn - they get a bit pissy if loads of people come in late, but usually just ignore it. You don't hand in work to them (unless they supervise you as well), so they don't have anything to do with that.

I have never yet tried handing in an essay late, generally they're ok about it for a few days but expect you to get it to them. As for going to stuff, medicine is different I suppose in that you have to go to a lot of things, so there aren't really that many people who skive stuff, apart from maybe the odd lecture.

ReputationRep:
    are there genarally any fit teachers at uni :rolleyes:
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by alio)
    There are some great looking administrators

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    Most of our lecturers are a bit old for that. We had two identical twins demonstrating in the dissection room in our first term though - they were yummy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alio)
    lol, when i went to the edinburgh open day for psychology a couple of the lecturers were pretty fit

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.