The Student Room Group

Who's done a masters thats completely unrelated to their undergrad?

So guys I've completed my undergrduate degree in (BA) Anthropology and have just enrolled on a MSc in Wildlife Biology and Conservation and wanted to see how common it is for people to study masters that are unrelated to their undergraduate degree?

The reason I'm interested is because I'd like to get an idea how common it is and its relationship to phd prospects. Like could I do an entomology phd even though my undergrad is completely unrelated?

Thanks guys!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bongo Bongo
So guys I've completed my undergrduate degree in (BA) Anthropology and have just enrolled on a MSc in Wildlife Biology and Conservation and wanted to see how common it is for people to study masters that are unrelated to their undergraduate degree?

The reason I'm interested is because I'd like to get an idea how common it is and its relationship to phd prospects. Like could I do an entomology phd even though my undergrad is completely unrelated?

Thanks guys!

Many people that i know did something completely different in their postgraduate degree in comparison to their undergraduate. For instance, the human resource management of coca cola in Cyprus came in my University to speak to us and he mention the big change of his life that lead to his current job. He studied computer science as an undergraduate in a UK university and for a master degree he studied Human Resource Management. Although i need to mention that their certain type of master degree/courses that you will need prior experience but some others are designed without a need of previous experience. Personally, i finished this year my studies in Management Information Systems and this September i am moving to UK for my postgraduate degree in Financial Risk Management that is an entirely different study compare to MIS.
Original post by Bongo Bongo

Thanks guys!

I studied Sociology/Criminology and did my MSc in HR Management. The writing skills you pick up and the fact that Sociology teaches you about different groups of people/cultures are pretty much the only major things I'd say that were similar.
Reply 3
Bsc Mathematics

Msc Finance and Econometrics

Never studied Finance in my life, didn't even know what ROE stood for. Didn't study econometrics at undergrad, name sounded cool though, so I did it.
Reply 4
I'm doing it now.

My Undergrad was a BSc in Finance and Economics

I'm about to start my MA in English Literature
Reply 5
Original post by DollyG
I'm doing it now.

How the hell did you get onto that MA?

Or do you have A Level English Literature?
Reply 6
Original post by DollyG
I'm doing it now.

Ditto
BA - Economics- Cambridge
MA Eng lit - Open Uni
Very excited to be starting a PhD in Eng lit in Sept at King's. Get the feeling that a master's is often the dream wish of 18 being finally fulfilled, albeit many years later, in some cases!
Original post by Am/pm
Get the feeling that a master's is often the dream wish of 18 being finally fulfilled, albeit many years later, in some cases!

Think you might be right actually - whatever possessed me to do a BSc in agriculture when I'm a social scientist at heart? 25 years between my first degree and (just-completed) Masters which definitely comes under your definition of 'many years later' :eek:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by godd
How the hell did you get onto that MA?

Or do you have A Level English Literature?

I'm doing it as a mature student, so work experience + solid proof of ability/interest. They like mature students with "life experience" for MA
Reply 9
BSc Biomedical Sciences ten years ago. Now about to start my MA in English Language Teaching/Applied Linguistics.
I did a wildlife conservation MSc after a history degree and career doing something else. I did it so I could tick the 'relevant education' box on conservation job applications, and get some theoretical framework for my practical knowledge/experience.
I did apply for a couple of PhDs afterwards, but only alongside other applications (I am assuming that you mean a funded PhD btw). My impression was that without a relevant undergrad degree you are at a disadvantage for some PhD projects. If a project has a lot of lab work, or modelling, it is a bigger risk to take someone without relevant, up to date, lab, or maths, experience. Personally I didn't get anywhere with my two PhD applications despite a MSc distinction and 81% dissertation mark, but two applications isn't many. I've got a job relevant to what I would want to do and I may try again for PhDs in a year. Or not.
Obviously your experience may differ, and tbh I wouldn't worry about PhDs now anyway, just concentrate on getting the best results you can on your MSc.
Yes, a lot of people do. Don't think you can get into a top university like that without substantial work experience though.
My undergraduate is BA Media and Cultural Studies and I'm applying for MA Medieval Studies. They told me it was perfectly fine to apply since I have the entry requirements and my dissertation was kinda related.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by donutaud15
My undergraduate is BA Media and Cultural Studies and I'm applying for MA Medieval Studies. They told me it was perfectly fine to apply since I have the entry requirements and my dissertation was kinda related.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm intrigued, what will you learn about on a Medieval Studies course?
Original post by King Leonidas
I'm intrigued, what will you learn about on a Medieval Studies course?

Pretty much medieval literature and history from early medieval times to about early renaissance. Also Latin and museum skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pretty much medieval literature and history from early medieval times to about early renaissance. Also Latin and museum skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds awesome:biggrin:

Are you starting this year or next?
Sounds awesome:biggrin:

Are you starting this year or next?

I'm waiting for a decision but if they accept me then I'll probably start this year but part time. Or defer for next year. Depends on my finances :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm waiting for a decision but if they accept me then I'll probably start this year but part time. Or defer for next year. Depends on my finances :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh, do let us know how you get on:smile:
Ahh, do let us know how you get on:smile:

I will :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by larusfuscus
I did a wildlife conservation MSc after a history degree and career doing something else. I did it so I could tick the 'relevant education' box on conservation job applications, and get some theoretical framework for my practical knowledge/experience.
I did apply for a couple of PhDs afterwards, but only alongside other applications (I am assuming that you mean a funded PhD btw). My impression was that without a relevant undergrad degree you are at a disadvantage for some PhD projects. If a project has a lot of lab work, or modelling, it is a bigger risk to take someone without relevant, up to date, lab, or maths, experience. Personally I didn't get anywhere with my two PhD applications despite a MSc distinction and 81% dissertation mark, but two applications isn't many. I've got a job relevant to what I would want to do and I may try again for PhDs in a year. Or not.
Obviously your experience may differ, and tbh I wouldn't worry about PhDs now anyway, just concentrate on getting the best results you can on your MSc.

Thanks for your advice. I know its along way away, I'll just try and enjoy the course for now and then maybe talk to one of my lecturers about my options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending