Who's done a masters thats completely unrelated to their undergrad?

Watch
piskantilia
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
Sorry if this is out if topic but I'm actually in a similar situation where I want to study something different from my Bachelors. I'm starting my last year in Mechanical Engineering this September but I want to study a discipline in Physics, most notably Astronomy. I have a 2:1 for the first year and a first class for my second year. It seems that many universities tell me that this will be difficult so I am wondering whether I should apply for a Postgraduate Diploma instead of a normal Postgraduate degree. The thing that I am afraid of is that I feel that a Postgraduate Diploma doesn't seem like a reputable degree type. I am aware that the only difference is that the research paper is absent in a Diploma. I'm sure you understand what I mean by this; the Diploma seems like something inferior to a normal Masters. I would like some advice on this.
knight_priestess
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by donutaud15)
Pretty much medieval literature and history from early medieval times to about early renaissance. Also Latin and museum skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
That's great!!! I'm also looking into going back to school for Renaissance/Early Modern (as they are so calling it these days) History. I have a BA in Anthropology from an American school and Im applying to a few Universities in the UK.
knight_priestess
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
That's the same area of study I'm interested. I have a BA in Anthropology from an USA university and I'm currently applying to study Renaissance/Early modern (as many are now calling) History in the UK
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DollyG)
I'm doing it now.

My Undergrad was a BSc in Finance and Economics

I'm about to start my MA in English Literature
What career do you want?
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Pretty much medieval literature and history from early medieval times to about early renaissance. Also Latin and museum skills.

Posted from TSR Mobile
What are Museum skills?

And how much Latin will you learn within a year? Will you be able to read Aristotle's Physics without using a dictionary every 10 pages?
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by knight_priestess)
That's the same area of study I'm interested. I have a BA in Anthropology from an USA university and I'm currently applying to study Renaissance/Early modern (as many are now calling) History in the UK

I am curious, do you plan to do a PhD and become a researcher? if not, what do you plan to do that the Masters will be useful for?
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by King Leonidas)
Ahh, do let us know how you get on
Just thought I'd update. I got in and deferred for next year. But not sure if I can go cos of finances.

(Original post by knight_priestess)
That's great!!! I'm also looking into going back to school for Renaissance/Early Modern (as they are so calling it these days) History. I have a BA in Anthropology from an American school and Im applying to a few Universities in the UK.
Good luck!

(Original post by Juichiro)
What are Museum skills?

And how much Latin will you learn within a year? Will you be able to read Aristotle's Physics without using a dictionary every 10 pages?
Museum Skills
You will be provided with a critical understanding of the history and nature of the museum sector in Britain. Taught at the Museum of London, the unit will use this institution as an example to explore the nature of museum collections, how these are acquired and cared for, and how museums go about using these collections to communicate to a range of different audiences.
( https://www.royalholloway.ac.uk/engl...alstudies.aspx)

The Latin thing could be up to the person. For me probably be a slow learner as I can only dedicate as much time studying it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by piskantilia)
Sorry if this is out if topic but I'm actually in a similar situation where I want to study something different from my Bachelors. I'm starting my last year in Mechanical Engineering this September but I want to study a discipline in Physics, most notably Astronomy. I have a 2:1 for the first year and a first class for my second year. It seems that many universities tell me that this will be difficult so I am wondering whether I should apply for a Postgraduate Diploma instead of a normal Postgraduate degree. The thing that I am afraid of is that I feel that a Postgraduate Diploma doesn't seem like a reputable degree type. I am aware that the only difference is that the research paper is absent in a Diploma. I'm sure you understand what I mean by this; the Diploma seems like something inferior to a normal Masters. I would like some advice on this.
Personally, I would not fork money for a Diploma unless I had solid proof that employers valued it. More often than not they won't know what a diploma is. While most of them will know that a masters is some sort of qualification above the undergraduate degree.
Lindissa
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Aristotle was Greek, so no amount of Latin would help
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Lindissa)
Aristotle was Greek, so no amount of Latin would help
My bad. Glaring error!

I have seeing your profile pic somewhere. Is that a female (Greek or Roman) scientist (either an astronomer or a mathematician)?
knight_priestess
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I am curious, do you plan to do a PhD and become a researcher? if not, what do you plan to do that the Masters will be useful for?
Loosely, I have specific interests in the above era and research would be ideal for me. I have contacts with people in history, archaeology and medicine and, in a mutual way, we could add to each others work. Museum work is another fascinating field.
Lindissa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
My bad. Glaring error!

I have seeing your profile pic somewhere. Is that a female (Greek or Roman) scientist (either an astronomer or a mathematician)?
It's Sappho, the Greek lyric poet
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
My bad. Glaring error!

I was making the assumption that you were talking about the translated version in Latin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sandtrooper
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
It's Sappho, the Greek lyric poet
You're doing SIX AS Levels?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Juichiro
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I was making the assumption that you were talking about the translated version in Latin.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lindissa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Edminzodo)
You're doing SIX AS Levels?!
I'm doing five this year. I took one last year alongside my GCSEs.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm doing five this year. I took one last year alongside my GCSEs.
Phew. Which one? How did it go? You must be so clever . . . !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lindissa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Phew. Which one? How did it go? You must be so clever . . . !
Haha, not really. English Lang, since a group of us did our English GCSEs in Year 10. It went well - I got an A - even though it was quite boring at times.
Sandtrooper
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Haha, not really. English Lang, since a group of us did our English GCSEs in Year 10. It went well - I got an A - even though it was quite boring at times.
Whoa. Do you want to do Classics at university?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lindissa
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Whoa. Do you want to do Classics at university?
Yes. What about you?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever considered or are you currently considering an apprenticeship?

Yes, I am actively considering an apprenticeship (66)
12.24%
I am actively considering an alternative to uni that isn't an apprenticeship (9)
1.67%
I have considered an apprenticeship but it's not for me (141)
26.16%
I am considering a degree apprenticeship (44)
8.16%
I haven't considered an apprenticeship (261)
48.42%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
3.34%

Watched Threads