Hanna1214
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
Can any of you advise a combination of AS levels to take? (I can take 4)

The subjects I did well in at GCSE (A*) and the ones that I like combined are:
Art, Maths, History, Bio, (further maths)

I don't like english but if I'm going to an australian university I think i need to take it for AS so I don't need to do the TOEFL or IELTS exams.

Want to become an architect / idk really
What will keep my options open? please help!
BestProfileName
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well Maths is probably the most widely applicable subject anyone could hope to do. Definitely pick Maths.

After that, it's not quite as clear. If you want to become an architect, I suppose further Maths would help you more, and perhaps Art would if you've got to make sketches which I assume you do...

You'd have to give more information. If you are from the UK, why do you need TOEFL or IELTS? I thought that was for non-native speakers. Also, surely an English GCSE is enough?

At first sight, I'd choose Maths, FM and History...Might be worth picking at least one science too.
Hanna1214
Rep:
?
(Original post by BestProfileName)
Well Maths is probably the most widely applicable subject anyone could hope to do. Definitely pick Maths.

After that, it's not quite as clear. If you want to become an architect, I suppose further Maths would help you more, and perhaps Art would if you've got to make sketches which I assume you do...

You'd have to give more information. If you are from the UK, why do you need TOEFL or IELTS? I thought that was for non-native speakers. Also, surely an English GCSE is enough?

At first sight, I'd choose Maths, FM and History...Might be worth picking at least one science too.
Basically I want to pick AS levels that go towards the architect route but also keep my options open if I decide I don't want to do that anymore, ygm?
I'm from Australia but I don't live there and I go to a british school. GCSE english isn't enough, you need to either take it for AS level or take TOEFL or IELTS.

I was thinking maths, further maths, art, english,
or maths, bio, history, art
or maths, art, english, further maths.
lilixxx1000
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
For architecture I think physics would be highly recommended
LouieSax
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Some Friends of mine applied for a degree as an architect this year and they picked Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art, if that helps at all?
vanillapanda
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I think you should take math , further maths , art and physics . Then you can just take the ielts test .
Hanna1214
Rep:
?
(Original post by LouieSax)
Some Friends of mine applied for a degree as an architect this year and they picked Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art, if that helps at all?
Thank you!
badgerfox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I took English Language as my fourth AS alongside Biology, Maths and Psychology. If you're pretty analytical/science minded, which it looks like you are from your other choices, it will be a breeze. I ended up taking it on to A2 just because it was minimal revision if you have a basic interest in current affairs and the world around you enough to write about contextual factors!

As for Art, I actually planned on taking it but was discouraged by my tutor and older friends who had done it because my main interest was Biology. It takes up a lot of time and dedication which can be frustrating if it's not your main passion! However, it might be a nice contrast from the Bio and Maths, and as I said, I didn't take it so don't let me put you off haha

I would recommend Biology, Maths, History and English Language AS. They'll make a good range but still strong enough to set you up for most courses in my experience. Obviously check the entry requirements for the courses you like the look of though and see if any subjects are recommended/discouraged!

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
clareyyyyyyy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Art and Maths would keep pretty much all of your options open as far as architecture is concerned. Past those two, you're best playing to your strengths, as most UK universities require AAA. History could be useful from an essay-writing point of view I guess?

Also just a note on studying architecture abroad: In order to work in the UK you need to be RIBA chartered, a process which is broken down into 3 parts. Whilst you can still be accredited after graduating from a non-RIBA-accredited course, it's a lot easier to attend one of the reputable UK schools of architecture. (This only applies if you're planning on working in the UK after graduating! - and there are a few RIBA accredited courses abroad.)
cheshiremum
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Well done, and good luck in the sixth form/ at college

check the requirements on UCAS for a couple of architecture courses, but I think you need something creative like Art or Graphics to do Architecture...so if you like it, you're good at it and you want to keep Architecture open as an option, keep it. You can drop one of your subjects after year 12.

Then maybe speak to your teachers, but if you got an A* or maybe an A then Maths is good for options. If you didn't get an A* then consider carefully before doing Further Maths, and definitely speak to your teachers.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (191)
43.81%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (49)
11.24%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (34)
7.8%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (91)
20.87%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (46)
10.55%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (25)
5.73%

Watched Threads