JadeMay
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi I'm starting year 12 next week and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. Does anyone have any advice for these subjects or just advice for A-Levels in general? Thanks in advance
pryngles
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Psychology - constantly keep the information in your head, and always rewrite experiement/case study notes, when it gets closer to the time binge revise on multiple choice questions and 2-6 mark questions, as these are the easiest to mark by yourself, without elements of subjectivity.

Chemsitry & Biology - PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do every one at least once, but that's the absolute minimum, if you want to do well in these subjects past papers and mark scheme reading is essential. Also go through the specification closer to the exams and tick off what you're comfortable with, so that you know which questions to print off and go over.

Didn't take History, sorry
MiniMacaroon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hiya! To be honest, I'm useless when it comes to those individual subjects (I took French, Spanish, Geography and Maths), but despite what most people say, don't worry too much going into the year- it'll only make things worse!!
I go to a very small school, so it may be very different to your school. For me, the jump was smaller than I was expecting. Again, this may be down to subject choices and teaching.
Then, there's all the usual advice- do your homework on time, get enough sleep, work hard, but also remember to have a life outside school. Your friends will help you if work is getting you down, and it's important to get down time!
It may seem like overkill, but I found it helpful to make revision notes as I was going along. This meant I had more time to do the revision when exams came round.
Overall, make sure you try to enjoy it. There will ultimately be times when you feel stressed, but remember that there is a light at the end of that tunnel, and it will feel so good when it comes round to results day and your hard work has paid off!
Sorry for my ramble, hope you find some of it helpful!! ><
TammieBean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Just bear in mind how much harder A-levels are than GCSE's. You won't necessarily be set 'homework' as such, but don't take this as an excuse not to do extra work on that subject. If you want to get good grades, then they are not lying when they say you should be doing an extra 5 hours work out of the classroom for each of your subjects.
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JadeMay)
Hi I'm starting year 12 next week and I'm taking Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. Does anyone have any advice for these subjects or just advice for A-Levels in general? Thanks in advance
A-level History = :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I took GCSE History and absolutely loved it, we studied Nazi Germany and Medicine Through Time which I found to be interesting, varied topics. I looked forward to History lessons and got A*s in all the exams plus coursework.

Having loved History, historical fiction, history documentaries etc from a young age, it seemed natural for me to progress onto History A-level. Big mistake :facepalm: It is VERY different at A-level. In all honesty it is most likely dependent on which units you take. I took AQA History and we studied Tsarist Russia 1861-1917 and British Liberalism 1902-1918. Britain was great, I found the topics we studied very interesting an you could really delve into them (think Ireland & Home Rule, the rise of the Labour Party, decline of the Conservatives), and got full UMS in the exam. Russia, on the other hand....it as a disappointment. Maybe it was just the way I was taught, maybe just reflective of personal interests, because all my friends actually hated the Britain unit and loved Russia. I found the topics to be dreary, and everything flowed together. There were no boundaries between topics, and so time phases etc just intertwined too confusingly. Lessons were basically just us taking notes whilst our teacher told us a story - rather than debating different arguments for different factors, we simply made timelines every lesson, especially towards the end of the course.The topics just weren't of interest to me. I got an A in the exam, but it was a struggle and I hated it. It's also much harder at A-level, as I don't know of a single other person who got an A in both exams.

Sorry for the rant, this is VERY biased and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Obviously read hat other TSRers have to say, they may have had different experiences, but personally A-level History was jut not for me and was a disappointment.
peaaceandl0ve
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And note-keeping/revising for History - I got big books vaguely-related to both of my AS units from the Library, and kept renewing them for many many months I added extra details from them to my notes from lessons.

When you're revising at the end of the year, redo essay questions that you've already done with feedback on, making sure you take that feedback into account, and also improving your essay-style as you go on, making sure your answer is continuously linking and linking and linking back to the question, and make sure each point in your 12marker explain questions have the different factors clearly linked.

Get a ring binder and lots of plastic wallets.

Hope this helps

Do you know which exam board/units you will be studying?
LeFailFish
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Biology - There's A LOT to learn. I mean a lot. Start early - when you are first taught a topic, make revision notes then and keep going over them so the facts are in the back of your mind. Once it gets to be a few months from exams, start past papers and do at least one a week. If you run out of past papers, do them again and find questions from old specifications that are still related to what you're learning on the new specification. Talk to your teachers about what ALWAYS comes up in exams for your exam board. There's normally something. Ensure that you know everything on the syllabus back to front and can apply it in different ways.

Chemistry - This is about application. There's still plenty to learn, but more importantly, you need to be able to transfer that knowledge into things that you haven't learnt. Learn the key words which need to be included in pretty much every answer (and definitely learn when to use particle and when to use atom). IF YOU'RE GIVEN A DEFINITION, MEMORISE IT AS IT'S WRITTEN AS SOMETIMES YOU NEED THAT EXACT PHRASING TO GET MARKS. (Or maybe that's just an AQA thing). Once again, past papers and old exam questions are key in learning how to apply your knowledge.

Good luck!
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by pryngles)
Psychology - constantly keep the information in your head, and always rewrite experiement/case study notes, when it gets closer to the time binge revise on multiple choice questions and 2-6 mark questions, as these are the easiest to mark by yourself, without elements of subjectivity.

Chemsitry & Biology - PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS PAST PAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do every one at least once, but that's the absolute minimum, if you want to do well in these subjects past papers and mark scheme reading is essential. Also go through the specification closer to the exams and tick off what you're comfortable with, so that you know which questions to print off and go over.

Didn't take History, sorry
This is really helpful! Thank you
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by MiniMacaroon)
Hiya! To be honest, I'm useless when it comes to those individual subjects (I took French, Spanish, Geography and Maths), but despite what most people say, don't worry too much going into the year- it'll only make things worse!!
I go to a very small school, so it may be very different to your school. For me, the jump was smaller than I was expecting. Again, this may be down to subject choices and teaching.
Then, there's all the usual advice- do your homework on time, get enough sleep, work hard, but also remember to have a life outside school. Your friends will help you if work is getting you down, and it's important to get down time!
It may seem like overkill, but I found it helpful to make revision notes as I was going along. This meant I had more time to do the revision when exams came round.
Overall, make sure you try to enjoy it. There will ultimately be times when you feel stressed, but remember that there is a light at the end of that tunnel, and it will feel so good when it comes round to results day and your hard work has paid off!
Sorry for my ramble, hope you find some of it helpful!! ><
Really good advice! Thank you
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by TammieBean)
Just bear in mind how much harder A-levels are than GCSE's. You won't necessarily be set 'homework' as such, but don't take this as an excuse not to do extra work on that subject. If you want to get good grades, then they are not lying when they say you should be doing an extra 5 hours work out of the classroom for each of your subjects.
Ok thank you
JadeMay
Rep:
?
(Original post by peaaceandl0ve)
A-level History = :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I took GCSE History and absolutely loved it, we studied Nazi Germany and Medicine Through Time which I found to be interesting, varied topics. I looked forward to History lessons and got A*s in all the exams plus coursework.

Having loved History, historical fiction, history documentaries etc from a young age, it seemed natural for me to progress onto History A-level. Big mistake :facepalm: It is VERY different at A-level. In all honesty it is most likely dependent on which units you take. I took AQA History and we studied Tsarist Russia 1861-1917 and British Liberalism 1902-1918. Britain was great, I found the topics we studied very interesting an you could really delve into them (think Ireland & Home Rule, the rise of the Labour Party, decline of the Conservatives), and got full UMS in the exam. Russia, on the other hand....it as a disappointment. Maybe it was just the way I was taught, maybe just reflective of personal interests, because all my friends actually hated the Britain unit and loved Russia. I found the topics to be dreary, and everything flowed together. There were no boundaries between topics, and so time phases etc just intertwined too confusingly. Lessons were basically just us taking notes whilst our teacher told us a story - rather than debating different arguments for different factors, we simply made timelines every lesson, especially towards the end of the course.The topics just weren't of interest to me. I got an A in the exam, but it was a struggle and I hated it. It's also much harder at A-level, as I don't know of a single other person who got an A in both exams.

Sorry for the rant, this is VERY biased and needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Obviously read hat other TSRers have to say, they may have had different experiences, but personally A-level History was jut not for me and was a disappointment.
Thanks for your opinion. I enjoyed History at GCSE and the AS course looks really good, it's about Tudor Rebellion and Russia. Hopefully I enjoy it
MiniMacaroon
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Really good advice! Thank you
Pleasure!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (46)
26.9%
No (125)
73.1%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed