Which universities for medicine with these stats??

Watch
qwertymed
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
had a look at all the admissions policies etc.. but not sure where I could apply to give me the best chance of getting interviews

GCSE:9A*
AS: AAAA
UKCAT: 720 Band 1
not going to do bmat

thanks
WishIHadRevised
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say the world is your oyster with those grades! Pick the ones you really want to go to, cheesey but true.
06shawm
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by qwertymed)
had a look at all the admissions policies etc.. but not sure where I could apply to give me the best chance of getting interviews

GCSE:9A*
AS: AAAA
UKCAT: 720 Band 1
not going to do bmat

thanks
UKCAT

Aberdeen
Barts
Cardiff
Dundee
Durham
East anglia
Edinburgh
Exeter
Glasgow
HYMS
Keele
KCL
Leicester
Manchester
Newcastle
Nottingham
Plymouth
QUB
Sheffield
Southampton
St Andrews
St George's

Non-UKCAT

Birmingham
Bristol
Lancaster
Liverpool

Congrats on your excellent stats. I'd say you could apply to pretty much any medical school in the list above (providing you have a strong PS) with a decent chance of getting an interview.
ooxbridge
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Damn son, nice grades
I agree with the people above, apply where you like
I have my UKCAT tomorrow, do you have any advice on how to secure such a high score?
-Simon-
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
I'd say apply a little bit smarter than just anywhere you like, however, you do have a lot of choice. A guide:

1) Decide where you CAN'T apply (every BMAT uni, that's about it for your )

2) Decide where you SHOULD (and shouldn't) apply - there are some Med Schools that will love that your UKCAT/GCSEs/AS Levels are that high, consider them more strongly than others and be confident you're going to get an interview with them. You put yourself in a more vulnerable position by applying to Med Schools that either: don't use the UKCAT or use personal statements to determine interview....this doesn't mean you can't apply to them, just don't be surprised if they don't give you an interview.)

3) Decide where you really don't want to be i.e. any university you really can't stand the idea of going to.

4) Look at course structure (PBL, integrated, traditional....but also dissection vs. prosection, use of E-learning...whatever floats your boat)

5) Geography - do you want to live at home or away? How far are you willing to move away/commute?

6) Open days - once you have a little list, go and see the place/meet the students and it will quickly become apparent whether you fit in.

I don't plan on telling you where to apply (nor should anyone else) as I have no idea what type of person/learner you are or where you would enjoy most. Think about these questions, get a list of Medical Schools and start cutting it down.

Best of luck.
Hippokrates
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Go for kings and nottingham they'd definitely interview you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (126)
14.6%
I'm not sure (39)
4.52%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (261)
30.24%
I have already dropped out (22)
2.55%
I'm not a current university student (415)
48.09%

Watched Threads