The Student Room Group

getting old and don't know what to do with my life. little bit of help needed!

hi everyone. i am new to the forums and just wanted to get some advice really. i am in my late 20's and i am struggling to figure out a career path. i currently work in a poorly paid, dead end job and want to get out of it asap! i have been seriously considering returning to education. the main problem i am having right now is that i wasn't too good at school. i came away with bad grades but managed to scrape onto a college course.

since the college course i haven't really done much apart from work in dead end jobs because i'm unqualified for much else. would it be a bad idea to return to education seeing as how bad i did at school last time? university would most likely be very intense and i'm unsure of that route. i really would like to attend university and get a degree as i would be the only one in my family to do so, but on the other hand it could be a risk.

has anyone had similar thoughts before returning to education?

how did you cope with the transition?
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I would say in your shoes, don't just go to university for the sake of it. Having a degree isn't a guarantee that you'll end up in a better job than you have now. Ideally, you need to have more of an idea of what you want to do after uni so that you do the "right" course. Uni qualifications without that will just land you in debt in three years' time, for potentially no reason or return.

Having said that, it's OK to study for the sake of it, because you love studying or you're fascinated by your subject. However it doesn't sound like that's the case for you.
Original post by Klix88
I would say in your shoes, don't just go to university for the sake of it. Having a degree isn't a guarantee that you'll end up in a better job than you have now. Ideally, you need to have more of an idea of what you want to do after uni so that you do the "right" course. Uni qualifications without that will just land you in debt in three years' time, for potentially no reason or return.

Having said that, it's OK to study for the sake of it, because you love studying or you're fascinated by your subject. However it doesn't sound like that's the case for you.

hi, thanks klix88 for your response.

yes, you're correct, i am not entirely sure what i want to study, but on the other hand i enjoy reading about certain subjects.

the limiting thing with university is having to study only one subject.

do older/less academic students get extra help at universities?
Reply 3
Original post by Nature_junkie
hi, thanks klix88 for your response.

yes, you're correct, i am not entirely sure what i want to study, but on the other hand i enjoy reading about certain subjects.

the limiting thing with university is having to study only one subject.

do older/less academic students get extra help at universities?

I can only speak for my experience at one uni, where I started my undergrad aged 44. But no, I was given no extra help specifically because of my age. However there were free study skills sessions available to all students, plus one of our core first year modules was focussed on study and research skills.

You do need to be at a particular academic level to be able to cope with uni. However as a mature applicant, a uni will probably ask you to do a one year Access course before applying. These are aimed at giving you a uni-like learning experience and gearing you up for uni. It's worth looking into those.
hi everyone. i am new to the forums and just wanted to get some advice really. i am in my late 20's and i am struggling to figure out a career path. i currently work in a poorly paid, dead end job and want to get out of it asap! i have been seriously considering returning to education. the main problem i am having right now is that i wasn't too good at school. i came away with bad grades but managed to scrape onto a college course.

since the college course i haven't really done much apart from work in dead end jobs because i'm unqualified for much else. would it be a bad idea to return to education seeing as how bad i did at school last time? university would most likely be very intense and i'm unsure of that route. i really would like to attend university and get a degree as i would be the only one in my family to do so, but on the other hand it could be a risk.

I went a 21 a little apprenhsive but it was ok the transission was also ok it is hard work but so worth it you say it's a risk well nothing worth doing is ever easy dive in.
It's worth taking your time to explore potential careers. University is only for three or four years, but a career lasts for decades. If you can decide what you would like to do with the rest of your working life, then you will be in a better position to decide on what further training or education will be most useful to you.
Reply 6
It worked out really well for me, well so far lol.

I returned to full time education last September to do an access course and prior to this took an IGCSE in english language. I had been out of the education system since the 90s so getting back into it was very daunting but worth it as I start university next month.
I guess what I am trying to say is that you might understand the subjects better now and may well enjoy it too, so what have you got to lose?

Go for it x
Why not take a course or two on Coursera or one of the other MOOC sites? That would give you a free test run, plus perhaps help you narrow down what you'd like to study - and help you decide whether university is the best option for you.
Original post by Suemarie
It worked out really well for me, well so far lol.

I returned to full time education last September to do an access course and prior to this took an IGCSE in english language. I had been out of the education system since the 90s so getting back into it was very daunting but worth it as I start university next month.
I guess what I am trying to say is that you might understand the subjects better now and may well enjoy it too, so what have you got to lose?

Go for it x

I really want to go for it, but i'm very apprehensive. I suffer from social anxiety and general anxiety, so i get nervous in classroom situations.

i want to resit my gcse's. can i sit them online? is that how you did it?

well i certainly enjoy reading a lot more than i did when i was 18, and maths is interesting me more, but i got E in maths at school which was 10 years ago and i am kinda worried about it.

i have been told i can sit my gcse's independently, but how would i go about this?
Original post by KatetheLecturer
Why not take a course or two on Coursera or one of the other MOOC sites? That would give you a free test run, plus perhaps help you narrow down what you'd like to study - and help you decide whether university is the best option for you.

kate,

are the sites you mentioned good? i have never heard of them, but i am certainly willing to give them a try.

have you used those sites before to study courses, and what is your experiences of them?
Original post by Schadenfreude65
It's worth taking your time to explore potential careers. University is only for three or four years, but a career lasts for decades. If you can decide what you would like to do with the rest of your working life, then you will be in a better position to decide on what further training or education will be most useful to you.

Schadenfreude,

you are totally correct. it is just very hard deciding.
I really want to go for it, but i'm very apprehensive. I suffer from social anxiety and general anxiety, so i get nervous in classroom situations.

i want to resit my gcse's. can i sit them online? is that how you did it?

well i certainly enjoy reading a lot more than i did when i was 18, and maths is interesting me more, but i got E in maths at school which was 10 years ago and i am kinda worried about it.

I have been told i can sit my gcse's independently, but how would i go about this?

I had to find a suitable exam centre which is where I had to register and pay £90 as a private candidate. The majority of the iGCSE was coursework based and didn't count toward the final grade.

Also if you find which examing body covers your area they should have an online list/map of all the relevant exam centres that accept private candidates.
Original post by Suemarie
I had to find a suitable exam centre which is where I had to register and pay £90 as a private candidate. The majority of the iGCSE was coursework based and didn't count toward the final grade.

Also if you find which examing body covers your area they should have an online list/map of all the relevant exam centres that accept private candidates.

Suemarie,

thanks. how would i find out my local examining body? i have looked on google and nothing has appeared.

also, what is igcse?
Reply 13

Hello naturejunkie
I never had any GCSE'S, and in fact only ever had 2 years of primary education as a child, however I have always had a job, and this has affected my desire to study. I did an NVQ 3 in health and social care in my job, as well as a few other bits and pieces such as a literacy test, and applied to my local university 2 years ago to study social work. I didn't get in due to 'lack of previous academic achievement'. However I am now studying law with the Open University, I have been for the last two years. The Open University does not have any formal entry requirements like all other brick universities, so it is accessible to those who lack qualifications. They also do a range of introductory/ taster modules in different subjects. You can get student funding just like other universities, except the fees are lower compared to normal university. You get lots of support, and the tutorials are optional and usually once a month which would alleviate your social anxiety.
Suemarie,

thanks. how would i find out my local examining body? i have looked on google and nothing has appeared.

also, what is igcse?

IGCSE means international ....
I found the following info which I used to find my local exam centre which in my case was a college
http://www.edexcel.com/i-am-a/student/find-a-centre/Pages/Where-can-I-take-edexcel-exams.aspx

Unless you are very good academically and are passionate about a specific subject/career path, then I wouldn't recommend returning to uni. Returning to uni at your age, after so much time away from school, in addition to having not done so well when at school, could be a potential disaster.

You will be competing with students who have been intensely studying everyday of their lives transitioning directly to university.

Therefore I would recommend trying to find a career path that doesn't require a degree. There are many such jobs, such as personal trainer, bank teller, become an apprentice for a trade or whatever takes your interest. If you work hard at it I'm sure you will do well.

Good luck.
Reply 16
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Unless you are very good academically and are passionate about a specific subject/career path, then I wouldn't recommend returning to uni. Returning to uni at your age, after so much time away from school, in addition to having not done so well when at school, could be a potential disaster.

You will be competing with students who have been intensely studying everyday of their lives transitioning directly to university.

Therefore I would recommend trying to find a career path that doesn't require a degree. There are many such jobs, such as personal trainer, bank teller, become an apprentice for a trade or whatever takes your interest. If you work hard at it I'm sure you will do well.

Good luck.

People mature and handle study well, at different ages though. Just because the OP didn't do well at school, isn't necessarily an indication that they will do poorly now. A year on an Access course would give them a good pointer as to whether uni is for them or not. But they can't automatically assume that it isn't unless they try.

I managed perfectly well aged 44 after a study break of 23 years. I wasn't "competing" with the school leavers, as university marks aren't based on your position in the cohort.
Original post by Klix88
People mature and handle study well, at different ages though. Just because the OP didn't do well at school, isn't necessarily an indication that they will do poorly now. A year on an Access course would give them a good pointer as to whether uni is for them or not. But they can't automatically assume that it isn't unless they try.

I managed perfectly well aged 44 after a study break of 23 years. I wasn't "competing" with the school leavers, as university marks aren't based on your position in the cohort.

Just because marks aren't based on position doesn't mean you aren't competing. Those with the best marks will get the best jobs. If you are capable of receiving the top grade, you have nothing to worry about, but if you aren't and everyone else is, then you have a problem.

Someone who hasn't studied for years and did badly when he did study may struggle to attain the same grades as those who have just come out of school, but I agree it will depend upon the person and I think the OP should carefully consider both perspectives.
Original post by Doctor_Einstein
Just because marks aren't based on position doesn't mean you aren't competing. Those with the best marks will get the best jobs. If you are capable of receiving the top grade, you have nothing to worry about, but if you aren't and everyone else is, then you have a problem.

Someone who hasn't studied for years and did badly when he did study may struggle to attain the same grades as those who have just come out of school, but I agree it will depend upon the person and I think the OP should carefully consider both perspectives.

It does depend on the person, I did badly at school all those 20 years ago...my reason I guess is that I didn't fully understand their way of teaching plus I was a child in care so was destined to fail lol.

Anyhow skip to 19 years later and having retaken my english gcse and achieving the required grade, I then went on to complete a level 3 access course with merits to spare and I'll be starting at university this month.
kate,

are the sites you mentioned good? i have never heard of them, but i am certainly willing to give them a try.

have you used those sites before to study courses, and what is your experiences of them?

Sorry for the late response: been trying to have some internet downtime recently! I really like Coursera - I'm doing two courses over there at the moment, though as it's my last week of leave until next August, I suspect the one that's not been started long will get less attention after that!

I suspect, though, each course differs depending on who's teaching it and how much experience their organisation has with MOOCs: I'm very pleased with my experiences, though, and there are offerings from some of the top US universities on there - so you could roadtest life at the top, even if, like me, you were never going to go to Yale :-D

Quick Reply

Latest