Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any information on this rather mysteriously named geographical topic. Any websites or info would be appreciated. Thanks

Louise

ReputationRep:
    Presumably by "onion skin" it means in layers

ReputationRep:
    Yer I think it has something to do with that... I have been asked to write an essay though!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louise_1988)
    Yer I think it has something to do with that... I have been asked to write an essay though!!!
    Basically, rocks have layers. In the day the rock expands due to the heat and in the evening it gets cooler causing the rock to contract. If this happens continuously and the rock keeps expanding and contracting, it will put pressure on it and cause the layers to peel off like an onion skin (hense the name!). Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, should be able to drag that out into an essay!!

ReputationRep:
    Try this: http://www.physicalgeography.net/

ReputationRep:
    Onion skin weathering...brings back good memories from my GCSE days.

Nothing to add to the excellent geographical site above.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    Onion skin weathering...brings back good memories from my GCSE days.

Nothing to add to the excellent geographical site above.
    From the name, i though it would be an exciting topic, how wrong I was. Possibly one of the dullest things I have ever had to write about. The name is such a let down.

ReputationRep:
    The actual reason why they peel off like an onion skin is that the outside of the rock heats up and expands more than the inside of the rock, and clearly this results in the rock changing shape, which a brittle rock cannot cope with, and so joints appear between the different amoutns the layers of rock have expanded, and when this occurs repeatedly these joints eventually get large enough and the outer shells start to fall off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob24601)
    The actual reason why they peel off like an onion skin is that the outside of the rock heats up and expands more than the inside of the rock, and clearly this results in the rock changing shape, which a brittle rock cannot cope with, and so joints appear between the different amoutns the layers of rock have expanded, and when this occurs repeatedly these joints eventually get large enough and the outer shells start to fall off
    Thanks will add that.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.