The Student Room Group

What degree can i do?

Im starting my a levels in a week or so and i don't know what degree i would do after
What degrees could i do with a Alevel in
biology
english literature
sociology
and a AS in photography?

Also what jobs could i get? I would like a rewarding high paid job so if anyone has any ideas of jobs and their salary that would be brilliant :smile: thanks
Reply 1
Ditch the sociology for a more academic subject (history would do) and apply for Law.
You could do a degree in any of those subjects. If you really have no idea or no career desires in life. Just do the degree which you would hate the least then after graduation apply for typical graduate schemes - Ernst and young, p&w the usual companies targeting graduates

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by godd
Ditch the sociology for a more academic subject (history would do) and apply for Law.

I did history at GCSE but i do not want to take it for a level :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by November229

what made you choose those particular subjects?
Reply 5
Original post by TenOfThem
what made you choose those particular subjects?

They are the subjects i most enjoyed at GCSE and subjects i think i could manage at Alevel
They are the subjects i most enjoyed at GCSE and subjects i think i could manage at Alevel

OK.

Those are good reasons.

Do you have any careers in mind at all?
Reply 7
OK.

Those are good reasons.

Do you have any careers in mind at all?

I did want to go into veterinary medicine or animal science but they both include chemistry which i don't like and would not want to take at Alevel. :s-smilie::confused:
Reply 8
You should only really go to uni if your course is either something you really want to do or highly employable. If you pick something that isn't either of those things (like I did) then you'll have just wasted three years. Have a think about what you want to do for a job. Don't feel pressured to go to uni straight from school either; if you haven't figured out what you want yet then just go out and work for a few years or as long as it takes for you to figure something out.
Reply 9
Original post by xDave-
You should only really go to uni if your course is either something you really want to do or highly employable. If you pick something that isn't either of those things (like I did) then you'll have just wasted three years. Have a think about what you want to do for a job. Don't feel pressured to go to uni straight from school either; if you haven't figured out what you want yet then just go out and work for a few years or as long as it takes for you to figure something out.

Thanks, that is good advice. Can i ask what degree you did?
I did want to go into veterinary medicine or animal science but they both include chemistry which i don't like and would not want to take at Alevel. :s-smilie::confused:

What about zoology or animal behaviour or something similar
Reply 11
Thanks, that is good advice. Can i ask what degree you did?

English language. I wanted to do maths and physics at A level but my awful school didn't teach them, so I took IT, business and literature. From then onward, I had no plan. I kept applying for uni because the school wanted me to, but never actually going as I didn't have any interest in what I was applying for. After a year of trying to get work (which was very difficult) I gave up and just picked a course I could do with my a levels. The only job I got in that year was factory work and it was quite depressing, so that also scared me into doing a degree. I've graduated now with the best percentage in my year, but I'm still unemployed and applying for the same jobs I was in my year after leaving school. Regret it horribly as I've now figured out what I really wanted to do at uni but I've had my one allowed loan now.
Reply 12
Original post by xDave-
English language. I wanted to do maths and physics at A level but my awful school didn't teach them, so I took IT, business and literature. From then onward, I had no plan. I kept applying for uni because the school wanted me to, but never actually going as I didn't have any interest in what I was applying for. After a year of trying to get work (which was very difficult) I gave up and just picked a course I could do with my a levels. The only job I got in that year was factory work and it was quite depressing, so that also scared me into doing a degree. I've graduated now with the best percentage in my year, but I'm still unemployed and applying for the same jobs I was in my year after leaving school. Regret it horribly as I've now figured out what I really wanted to do at uni but I've had my one allowed loan now.

Well that sucks, surprised that your school didn't offer maths or physics! Wish you well for the future hope things turn out okay.
Reply 13
What about zoology or animal behaviour or something similar

I think i would enjoy animal behaviour so that would be a good back up if nothing else is on offer in the future. Thanks for the suggestions :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending