Should I do a Travel and Tourism diploma or carry on with A levels?

Watch this thread
Ellismall
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm 17, and have just finished my AS levels. I got pretty bad grades - D, E and U in English literature, Sociology and Citizenship respectively. I did not enjoy college and found it hard to settle in and make friends. I also suffer with anxiety so I found it very hard to focus on college work. I have spoken to my teacher and he said that because my work all throughout the year was so good they will let me move up to A2 next year, in spite of the grade E in sociology. I would just have to take up another AS in place of citizenship in which I got a U. However I have been thinking about this and I am not sure it's going to work. I know it is very rare to improve AS grades at A2 and I think it is unlikely that I will be able to work even harder than last year and improve the grades, because of how my anxiety affects me (I get a lot of headaches and physical pain) and also because I'm not happy at the college. I have been thinking of instead doing a level 3 extended diploma in travel and tourism as I have an interest in this subject and may be more motivated to complete it rather than trying A levels again. However I would like to go to university and study English so I'm not sure if the travel and tourism is a good idea...So what do you think I should do? Is it realistic to think that I could improve my A levels results in English and sociology? Would travel and tourism be a good idea, seeing as I am better at coursework subjects? Or is it pointless to do travel and tourism if I want to study English at uni?
thanks x
simplylldxo
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I did 2 years of Travel & Tourism and it was a waste of 2 years. You don't need qualifications to work in the travel industry, just good customer service skills.

I'd stick with your a-levels.

Edit: I did a foundation year and I'm starting an English degree next month.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Physics Paper 1 exam go?

Great! Feeling positive (148)
29.02%
It went fairly well (242)
47.45%
It didn't go too well (77)
15.1%
TERRIBLE! (43)
8.43%

Watched Threads