EPQ count as my 4th AS if my other fourth AS is a C grade?

Watch
missm786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I got my AS results; AABC, the subject I have a C (religious studies) in I have dropped in the second year. I initially planned to retake a module to bring the C up to a B. I then realised my EPQ this year counts as an AS subject. So if I can hopefully get an A this year for the project, will my C be overlooked?
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by missm786)
I got my AS results; AABC, the subject I have a C (religious studies) in I have dropped in the second year. I initially planned to retake a module to bring the C up to a B. I then realised my EPQ this year counts as an AS subject. So if I can hopefully get an A this year for the project, will my C be overlooked?

EPQ is regarded more as an extracurricular that shows your interest in your degree subject. Apart from unis that count it for UCAS points, EPQ is not considered for meeting entry requirements as not all applicants will have the opportunity to do it.
missm786
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
(Original post by theresheglows)
EPQ is regarded more as an extracurricular that shows your interest in your degree subject. Apart from unis that count it for UCAS points, EPQ is not considered for meeting entry requirements as not all applicants will have the opportunity to do it.
The universities I wish to apply to don't really specify whether they accept the EPQ as a fourth AS, so I will try to contact them about this. However Southampton do accept an A grade for the EPQ, as they state;
A levels:

AAA, including chemistry and biology, plus either grade A at AS Level in a subject not studied at A2 or grade A in the Extended Project Qualification. General studies and critical thinking are not accepted. Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. human biology/sports studies, maths/further maths) may not be offered in combination at A level.

The other universities are ambiguous about the EPQ in general, can you suggest a university who regard the EPQ as extracurricular please.
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by missm786)
The universities I wish to apply to don't really specify whether they accept the EPQ as a fourth AS, so I will try to contact them about this. However Southampton do accept an A grade for the EPQ, as they state;
A levels:

AAA, including chemistry and biology, plus either grade A at AS Level in a subject not studied at A2 or grade A in the Extended Project Qualification. General studies and critical thinking are not accepted. Subjects with material that overlaps (e.g. human biology/sports studies, maths/further maths) may not be offered in combination at A level.

The other universities are ambiguous about the EPQ in general, can you suggest a university who regard the EPQ as extracurricular please.

That's interesting about Southampton, I wasn't aware that there was anywhere that actually accepted EPQ in lieu of an AS .

Brighton like them as a kind of academic extracurricular, but not instead of a 4th AS.
Nottingham quite like them as well, but then they're not fussed about a 4th at AS anyway, so having an EPQ may give you an edge over those applying who just have 3 A-levels and no 4th AS or EPQ.
Newcastle like them, but only in terms of how you reflect on it in your PS and at interview (I think this is the view of many med schools).

I think most unis think that EPQ helps to improve your research and independent study skills, so they look favorably on it if you get an A in it alongside AAA at A-level; it give you something to mention in your PS that you can draw out at interview.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (33)
29.73%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (10)
9.01%
No I am happy with my choice (61)
54.95%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (7)
6.31%

Watched Threads