The Student Room Group

How to start Skateboarding?

I am 21

Never skateboarded before

Wondering which skateboard to buy

How do I start learning to skateboard?

Where can I find others who skateboard?

How long does it usually take to become 'proficient'?
Reply 1
Original post by Joyful_soul
I am 21

Never skateboarded before

Wondering which skateboard to buy

How do I start learning to skateboard?

Where can I find others who skateboard?

How long does it usually take to become 'proficient'?

Find others who skateboard at a skate park :smile:

Depending on how good you are with balance will depend on how fast you will become 'proficient'. But dude, it's all about fun. Don't worry about becoming awesome fast :biggrin:

How to start learning, buy a board and push around on it to get used to riding the board :smile: For tricks... go on YouTube. There are trick tips/tutorials on every trick out there :smile:

Finally, when it comes to buying a board. Do your research, for a first deck you're going to want to buy a sturdy board that will take the punishment of a learner. Just do research for that :smile: Google strong skateboards or something :smile:

It's a really fun sport dude, if you get in to it then it's nothing but good :smile: Apart from society tends to judge us, but oh well :biggrin:
Original post by xmertic
Find others who skateboard at a skate park :smile:

Depending on how good you are with balance will depend on how fast you will become 'proficient'. But dude, it's all about fun. Don't worry about becoming awesome fast :biggrin:

How to start learning, buy a board and push around on it to get used to riding the board :smile: For tricks... go on YouTube. There are trick tips/tutorials on every trick out there :smile:

Finally, when it comes to buying a board. Do your research, for a first deck you're going to want to buy a sturdy board that will take the punishment of a learner. Just do research for that :smile: Google strong skateboards or something :smile:

It's a really fun sport dude, if you get in to it then it's nothing but good :smile: Apart from society tends to judge us, but oh well :biggrin:

Thanks man, really helpful info. :smile:

How long have you been 'boarding? :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks man, really helpful info. :smile:

How long have you been 'boarding? :biggrin:

On and off since I was 8-9? But bear in mind I didn't take it seriously till I was 13? I'm 19 now :smile:
Original post by xmertic
On and off since I was 8-9? But bear in mind I didn't take it seriously till I was 13? I'm 19 now :smile:

Dam, wish I started young

Think I'll pick it up at 21?
Reply 5

No reason why not, it's about fun. Great thing about skateboarding is that there is next to no discrimination. No-one cares about sex, race, age or anything else. So as long as you have fun with it, that's all that matters :smile:
Reply 6

Hell yeah man, go for it, trust me you'll find nothing else like it. In terms of the people and the entire culture you'll get involved with. Honestly I can't think of a group of more down to earth people than skateboarders. I've been skateboarding for almost 9 years and haven't come across a single skater who isn't friendly, go to your local park and skate with the guys there. You'll progress by watching and skating with them. It might also be a good idea to get into it with a friend, you'll push each other to get better.

In terms of getting your first board I'd say to avoid the internet. You wanna go down to your local skateshop wherever that is and ask they guy behind the counter, he'll be a skater and he'll for sure be able to help you out. Boards come in all kinds of shapes and sizes, you want to be able to physically hold and stand on the board you're gonna purchase, make sure it's the right and most comfortable size for you. Also, the dude behind the counter can tell you where the nearest parks are and give you better advice on how to start than any kind you'll find on here.

Quick Reply

Latest