Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    A friend of mine, rejected by Oxford for E&M, is considering rejecting the offer he received from LSE to read Economics in order to reapply to Oxford. Does anyone agree that doing this would be absolutely insane?

I think he'll see sense eventually...but the deadline's very soon and he's really dragging his heels.
    The lifestyle at Oxford is so much better than at LSE. You get so much more support at Oxford than LSE. So no, he is not insane. A risk taker though, but any economics student will be well aware of greater risks for greater rewards. Anyway, LSE does accept students who have declined their offers in previous years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hildabeast)
    E&M is the most competitive of all the unergrad courses. Rather him than me...
    Not strictly true, Law & European Legal Studies is more competitive yet.

ReputationRep:
    Oops! Ive just realised H&M beat me to that point some 3 weeks ago - apologies (always read all the thread before replying...always read...)

I may as well try and throw something semi-constructive into the melting pot now.

It is, in my opinion, ludicrous to reject the LSE offer to read economics - statisically, it is a triumph to get an offer at a place (and on a course) of this standing.

I can understand how several people who are yet to experience academic 'catastrophies' in life may react in the said way to an Oxford rejection. In my opinion though, rejecting the LSE and trying to gain admission to Oxford (for a second time) throws up more pitfalls than potential gains.

That is not to say though that your friend will not gain admission to Oxford - as mentioned previously, constructive use of a gap-year can only be a positive thing.

At the end of the day, what it comes down to (in my opinion) is a kind of obstinacy which is engendered by high academic attainment and the imperious self-confidence that sailing through GCSEs, A-level, IB etc. brings about.

I sincerely believe that your friend would make just as good a fist of it at the LSE as would be the case at Oxford. It may be the case that to achieve peace of mind, your friend feels it necessary to embark on a year of relative uncertainty, rather than opt for the sensible solution that sits on Houghton St.

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 21, 2004
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.