The Student Room Group

Personal Statement Halp?

If you could proof read and maybe give suggestions that would be great!

Law is a subject that I, to some extent, find captivating. The fact that law is a massive part of the day to day lives of everyone makes me want to understand its’ practices to the fullest and be a part of it myself. Law makes the world go round, without it there would be no order and quite frankly the world would be a disaster. It helps us resolve conflicts, distinguish the difference between right and wrong and allows us to find common ground between each other. If you are ever questioning whether something is right or not, just ask yourself if it would be breaking the law and you have your answer. This just goes to show the power that Law has, whether you are an ordinary civilian or a government official, we are all required to abide by the Law.

I think that studying this particular subject will give me the chance to develop my analytical thinking, literature and debating skills. Debating on topics and ideas is an activity I take delight in as it helps me get my point across and widen my perspective which then gives me better judgement. When I was at school I was part of the Young Mayor Campaign team, where I was required to promote the YM candidate by putting up posters, handing out leaflets and accompanying the candidate to promotion events at the Idea Store. This gave me the opportunity to speak to the young public and tackle any difficult questions I had thrown at me.

Working for the Crown Prosecution Service as a casework assistant has given me a better understanding of law. From building cases that have come straight from the police stations to updating hearing outcomes when they come back from court, I am very much involved in cases throughout. I work in an office full of Associate Prosecutors, Lawyers and Legal Managers and am required to liaise with them on a daily basis. Over time I have built good working relationships with many of them. In fact it is through listening to some of their experiences of studying law that has pushed me to finally making this step in applying for law school.

During my first few months of working for the CPS, I made a visit to Westminster Magistrates’ Court to shadow an Associate Prosecutor for the day. This gave me the opportunity to sit in on several cases so I was able to get an insight of how everything works and observe the different roles held at the court. Sitting in that courtroom behind the AP, watching him present his cases made me realise how much I wanted this for myself and I could easily see myself up there in a few years. I am currently in the process of arranging a visit to the Old Bailey and one of my local Crown Courts.

Education has always been my forte; I am the type of person who genuinely enjoys studying. I take pleasure in learning, increasing my knowledge and having goals. Not being able to carry on my studies at college to work towards my A-Levels due to financial issues, and EMA funding being stopped the year before I was due to start college, is something I have always been disappointed about deep down. Every year since leaving school I have considered going back to college to study the subjects I had initially enrolled for. Law, Sociology, English Literature and Government and Politics, but it just has not been possible because there was no way for me to earn a decent amount of money whilst studying.

This is precisely the reason why, when I heard about Birkbeck University through one of my fellow colleagues, I have been researching and preparing to apply as soon as possible. It is the perfect opportunity for me, being able to continue working whilst studying a subject that I have always been interested in and that is related to my job. Being a Civil Servant means I am able to work Flexi Time which will allow me to manage my hours better to give me time to study, work and balance my social life. The commute from my workplace to the campus is very practical and cost efficient so I will be able to get to my lectures and seminars on time with ease. The CPS are very supportive, they are willing to help with fees for textbooks etc. and I will be able to reduce hours if I feel necessary.

In my spare time I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, going out to the cinemas, bowling, amusement parks etc. Reading has been a passion of mine since I was able to speak. I enjoy reading anything from romance to non-fiction to history, though I particularly like to read a lot of crime and thriller. I am currently reading the autobiography of Malcolm X. I also watch a lot of documentaries, my most recent watched being Zero Hour: The Massacre at Columbine High.

Ever since hearing about Birkbeck I have been fixated on gaining a place at the university. I was not aware there were any Universities out there that were so open minded when giving people chances by not using the traditional requirements for students. The past few years have been full of stress and regrets because I made the decision of not going to college like everyone else. I have truly missed studying and education as a whole and I feel that this is the break that I have been searching for.
Reply 1
Original post by FreePSForAll

Law is a subject that I, to some extent, find captivating. The fact that law is a massive part of the day to day lives of everyone makes me want to understand its’ practices to the fullest and be a part of it myself. Law makes the world go round, without it there would be no order and quite frankly the world would be a disaster. It helps us resolve conflicts, distinguish the difference between right and wrong and allows us to find common ground between each other. If you are ever questioning whether something is right or not, just ask yourself if it would be breaking the law and you have your answer. This just goes to show the power that Law has, whether you are an ordinary civilian or a government official, we are all required to abide by the Law.

I think that studying this particular subject will give me the chance to develop my analytical thinking, literature and debating skills. Debating on topics and ideas is an activity I take delight in as it helps me get my point across and widen my perspective which then gives me better judgement. When I was at school I was part of the Young Mayor Campaign team, where I was required to promote the YM candidate by putting up posters, handing out leaflets and accompanying the candidate to promotion events at the Idea Store. This gave me the opportunity to speak to the young public and tackle any difficult questions I had thrown at me.

Working for the Crown Prosecution Service as a casework assistant has given me a better understanding of law. From building cases that have come straight from the police stations to updating hearing outcomes when they come back from court, I am very much involved in cases throughout. I work in an office full of Associate Prosecutors, Lawyers and Legal Managers and am required to liaise with them on a daily basis. Over time I have built good working relationships with many of them. In fact it is through listening to some of their experiences of studying law that has pushed me to finally making this step in applying for law school.

During my first few months of working for the CPS, I made a visit to Westminster Magistrates’ Court to shadow an Associate Prosecutor for the day. This gave me the opportunity to sit in on several cases so I was able to get an insight of how everything works and observe the different roles held at the court. Sitting in that courtroom behind the AP, watching him present his cases made me realise how much I wanted this for myself and I could easily see myself up there in a few years. I am currently in the process of arranging a visit to the Old Bailey and one of my local Crown Courts.

Education has always been my forte; I am the type of person who genuinely enjoys studying. I take pleasure in learning, increasing my knowledge and having goals. Not being able to carry on my studies at college to work towards my A-Levels due to financial issues, and EMA funding being stopped the year before I was due to start college, is something I have always been disappointed about deep down. Every year since leaving school I have considered going back to college to study the subjects I had initially enrolled for. Law, Sociology, English Literature and Government and Politics, but it just has not been possible because there was no way for me to earn a decent amount of money whilst studying.

This is precisely the reason why, when I heard about Birkbeck University through one of my fellow colleagues, I have been researching and preparing to apply as soon as possible. It is the perfect opportunity for me, being able to continue working whilst studying a subject that I have always been interested in and that is related to my job. Being a Civil Servant means I am able to work Flexi Time which will allow me to manage my hours better to give me time to study, work and balance my social life. The commute from my workplace to the campus is very practical and cost efficient so I will be able to get to my lectures and seminars on time with ease. The CPS are very supportive, they are willing to help with fees for textbooks etc. and I will be able to reduce hours if I feel necessary.

In my spare time I enjoy spending time with my family and friends, going out to the cinemas, bowling, amusement parks etc. Reading has been a passion of mine since I was able to speak. I enjoy reading anything from romance to non-fiction to history, though I particularly like to read a lot of crime and thriller. I am currently reading the autobiography of Malcolm X. I also watch a lot of documentaries, my most recent watched being Zero Hour: The Massacre at Columbine High.

Ever since hearing about Birkbeck I have been fixated on gaining a place at the university. I was not aware there were any Universities out there that were so open minded when giving people chances by not using the traditional requirements for students. The past few years have been full of stress and regrets because I made the decision of not going to college like everyone else. I have truly missed studying and education as a whole and I feel that this is the break that I have been searching for.

This is precisely the reason why, when I heard about Birkbeck University through one of my fellow colleagues, I have been researching and preparing to apply as soon as possible. It is the perfect opportunity for me,

Should maybe change time-form/formulation. (I'm not sure though, I'm swedish :P). I suggest:

This is precisely the reason why, when I heard about Birkbeck University through one of my fellow colleagues, I started/began researching and preparing to apply as soon as possible. It is the perfect opportunity for me,

Just an idea :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by FreePSForAll

Are you only looking to go to Birbeck? You won't get any offers from other universities because you have mentioned how you want to go to Birbeck. If you are set on going there, just put them as your firm choice when you receive your offer and don't put it in the personal statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah, erm...you're going to need to redo your PS. It's already been picked up by Google here, and will essentially be flagged for plagiarism by Turnitin.

Next time, don't post it publicly on the internet, or send it to anyone whose credentials you don't know who could be applying to university.
Reply 4
Original post by Blackacre
Yeah, erm...you're going to need to redo your PS. It's already been picked up by Google here, and will essentially be flagged for plagiarism by Turnitin.

Next time, don't post it publicly on the internet, or send it to anyone whose credentials you don't know who could be applying to university.

Delete the thread and pray it's pruned from Google's index before it's time to submit lmfao... :/
Original post by Doomlar
Delete the thread and pray it's pruned from Google's index before it's time to submit lmfao... :/

Not worth it. Believe it or not, we see this thing as mods all the time - the odds of that happening are slim.
Reply 6
Original post by Blackacre
Not worth it. Believe it or not, we see this thing as mods all the time - the odds of that happening are slim.

I would have said its worth a shot, or move it to the hidden PS Help forum? Yeah, he'll probably have to re-do it anyway :s-smilie:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending