jellylegs08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Hi there, for IB I'm not sure whether to take German ab initio or French standard level... What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm not too keen on languages so I want to go for what would be "easier" (I know this term is subjective and all but I'd still like to know the general consensus). I was originally thinking German as it's ab initio but then I heard that German was very difficult- possibly more difficult than French SL. However I did somehow manage to get an A* at GCSE for French so... what do people recommend?
username1464313
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by jellylegs08)
Hi there, for IB I'm not sure whether to take German ab initio or French standard level... What are everyone's thoughts on this? I'm not too keen on languages so I want to go for what would be "easier" (I know this term is subjective and all but I'd still like to know the general consensus). I was originally thinking German as it's ab initio but then I heard that German was very difficult- possibly more difficult than French SL. However I did somehow manage to get an A* at GCSE for French so... what do people recommend?
Hey,

It is a difficult one to call to be honest. My gut instinct is to say that French SL is harder than German Ab Initio because of the content of the course. If memory serves me right, Ab Initio is to build your knowledge from scratch where as SL is intended to "further" your knowledge of a language. So if you aren't to confident with your French ability, it might be worth doing German. I did German Ab Initio so I'm partially subjective to choosing it over French. The only thing I would say is difficult about German is just remembering sentence structures for your tenses. If you nail that, then the rest is pretty much remember vocab.

I know this is a bit of a vague review but I hope it helps nonetheless

If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me
littlelightwood
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I think it depends on which language you would prefer to learn! I, for example, prefer french as its just nicer sounding than german, which is comprised of hard sounds. I did IGCSE french last year and I'm doing SL French too, and so far it hasn't proved too much of a challenge! Also, remember that even though German is ab initio, they will try to take you beyond GCSE level in only two years, and it will be from scratch, thus I think it may be harder. At least for french you have the basics you can build on!

Good luck with whichever you choose!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (23)
8.52%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (38)
14.07%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (46)
17.04%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (38)
14.07%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (78)
28.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
17.41%

Watched Threads