The Student Room Group

Help choosing A levels

So I enrolled at college today, but I wasn't able to get the subjects I wanted, I'd originally gone to enroll for English Language, Literature, Psychology, and Business Studies. But came out with Psychology, Sociology, and Business Studies since I didn't have the B in English that I needed. I tried explaining that I do normally get A's in English, but because of 1 D in one of the English exams, it brought it to an overall C, but they said that it was irrelevant. I wanted to know if those 3 subjects would get me into university, possibly to study Law? I know I really needed the English subjects which is something I enjoy but they wouldn't let me take it at all and I just feel like those 3 subjects would be a waste of two years because it would be a struggle to get into uni with them
Original post by georgeaaxo
So I enrolled at college today, but I wasn't able to get the subjects I wanted, I'd originally gone to enroll for English Language, Literature, Psychology, and Business Studies. But came out with Psychology, Sociology, and Business Studies since I didn't have the B in English that I needed. I tried explaining that I do normally get A's in English, but because of 1 D in one of the English exams, it brought it to an overall C, but they said that it was irrelevant. I wanted to know if those 3 subjects would get me into university, possibly to study Law? I know I really needed the English subjects which is something I enjoy but they wouldn't let me take it at all and I just feel like those 3 subjects would be a waste of two years because it would be a struggle to get into uni with them

You should be fine provided you don't drop one of the A-Levels in the second year. If you did then you'd only be leaving with 2.5 A-Levels.

It really depends on which universities you're thinking of aiming for, and how much effort you're willing to put into the courses.

EDIT: You could also try distance learning, they're usually lenient on the requirements. Secondly, you could ask the college whether you can do higher tier English to get the B, then ask whether the teachers will allow you to do AS English for your second year.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Binary Freak
You should be fine provided you don't drop one of the A-Levels in the second year. If you did then you'd only be leaving with 2.5 A-Levels.

It really depends on which universities you're thinking of aiming for, and how much effort you're willing to put into the courses.

Thank you. No I wouldn't be dropping any of the A levels, I was originally doing 4 subjects and dropping one in the second year so I would have had 3 A levels and 1 AS. But I was recommended only 3 subjects. I was looking into places elsewhere such as my school last year as they could maybe offer me better choices and the A levels I wanted to take even if it wasn't a place I wanted to study it would better my application
Original post by georgeaaxo
Thank you. No I wouldn't be dropping any of the A levels, I was originally doing 4 subjects and dropping one in the second year so I would have had 3 A levels and 1 AS. But I was recommended only 3 subjects. I was looking into places elsewhere such as my school last year as they could maybe offer me better choices and the A levels I wanted to take even if it wasn't a place I wanted to study it would better my application

Please check the edit I made to my original post! :smile:

You may even find that some universities will ask you to take a gap year, then they'll accept you on the course, e.g. A-Levels > gap year > university
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest