The Student Room Group

A-Level Choices

Hi everyone,

Originally my a-level choices were Biology, Chemistry, Sociology & RS. After researching and thinking over my subject choices, I was thinking of changing RS to 'Government & Politics'. I was also thinking of changing Sociology to Economics. However, without maths I do not think economics would be particularly useful to have and maybe I should have two easier A level choices to make it easier to handle the sciences?
Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Original post by jasmin_bhim
Hi everyone,

Originally my a-level choices were Biology, Chemistry, Sociology & RS. After researching and thinking over my subject choices, I was thinking of changing RS to 'Government & Politics'. I was also thinking of changing Sociology to Economics. However, without maths I do not think economics would be particularly useful to have and maybe I should have two easier A level choices to make it easier to handle the sciences?
Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Your original choices sound good to me - Biology and Chemistry are fairly academic, whilst the other two are respected but probably less academic, so you won't overload yourself. I would agree with you that Economics would not be very useful without Maths, and I suspect that Sociology would be more interesting! Economics would also not be any more respected than Sociology to be perfectly honest.

Governent & Politics instead of RS is completely up to you. If you took History at GCSE and enjoyed it then you'll probably enjoy Politics. Again, the difference between Politics and RS in terms of their respect is minimal.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :biggrin:
Reply 2
Original post by LeFailFish
Your original choices sound good to me - Biology and Chemistry are fairly academic, whilst the other two are respected but probably less academic, so you won't overload yourself. I would agree with you that Economics would not be very useful without Maths, and I suspect that Sociology would be more interesting! Economics would also not be any more respected than Sociology to be perfectly honest.

Governent & Politics instead of RS is completely up to you. If you took History at GCSE and enjoyed it then you'll probably enjoy Politics. Again, the difference between Politics and RS in terms of their respect is minimal.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :biggrin:

Sorry, but that is total BS.

Firstly, Economics certainly does not require Mathematics (at A-Level of course!). It requires basic numerical skills.

Secondly, not any more respected than Sociology? Since when?
Read these carefully;
Trinity College, Cambridge (Acceptable A-Levels) and LSE (Acceptable A-Levels). Scroll down to Subject combinations and 'non-preferred' subjects where it says; For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees.

Economics is perfectly respected, much more so than Sociology.

OP, Religious Studies is looked on higher than Politics by Cambridge (in terms of acceptability that is) but most other unis will not care.

In the end, you should do what would really interest you. Only this will get you the grades you want!

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
Sorry, but that is total BS.

Firstly, Economics certainly does not require Mathematics (at A-Level of course!). It requires basic numerical skills.

Secondly, not any more respected than Sociology? Since when?
Read these carefully;
Trinity College, Cambridge (Acceptable A-Levels) and LSE (Acceptable A-Levels). Scroll down to Subject combinations and 'non-preferred' subjects where it says; For example, Mathematics, French and Economics would be a suitable combination for almost any of our degrees.

Economics is perfectly respected, much more so than Sociology.

OP, Religious Studies is looked on higher than Politics by Cambridge (in terms of acceptability that is) but most other unis will not care.

In the end, you should do what would really interest you. Only this will get you the grades you want!

Please allow me to explain what I said.

Economics does not require Mathematics at A level, BUT IT DOES AT DEGREE LEVEL OR HIGHER. Therefore, without Mathematics, Economics is not of much use, as it could not be used beyond A level. A subject that gave skills that could be used later on would be more worthwhile, in my opinion. But I recognise that that is purely my own opinion, and many people may disagree. Still, I am posting my opinions on here, hence what I originally said.

Sociology is an acceptable A level at the majority of universities. At some universities, as it is a social science, it is accepted as a science-substitute. OP is hardly going to be applying to LSE without Maths...

RS and Politics, as I said, are similarly well-respected by the majority of universities.

It is OP's choice, not mine, and they are welcome to disagree with me. I simply gave them some advice. Feel free to give your own advice, but please try to do so in a respectful way.

:smile:
Reply 4
Original post by LeFailFish
Please allow me to explain what I said.

Economics does not require Mathematics at A level, BUT IT DOES AT DEGREE LEVEL OR HIGHER. Therefore, without Mathematics, Economics is not of much use, as it could not be used beyond A level. A subject that gave skills that could be used later on would be more worthwhile, in my opinion. But I recognise that that is purely my own opinion, and many people may disagree. Still, I am posting my opinions on here, hence what I originally said.

Sociology is an acceptable A level at the majority of universities. At some universities, as it is a social science, it is accepted as a science-substitute. OP is hardly going to be applying to LSE without Maths...

RS and Politics, as I said, are similarly well-respected by the majority of universities.

It is OP's choice, not mine, and they are welcome to disagree with me. I simply gave them some advice. Feel free to give your own advice, but please try to do so in a respectful way.

:smile:

I am sorry but, once again, you do not seem to understand the difference.

A respectable and a facilitating A-Level are two very different things. The former, which is what you wrongly said, means that a subject is very good for university study. Regardless of what you're going to study at university, it is still a very good preparation. It's like History for a Law degree. The former is not required but is still very respected (and recommended).

Economics is hugely respected (equally to English Literature, History and the sciences in some cases) not because it is necessarily required, but because the skills you develop during the course are useful for any degree.

Sociology, however, due its not so demanding specification (according to the universities that is, no personal opinion here), is not deemed as rigorous as Economics or History or English literarure etc.

The latter, which is what you meant to say I believe, is when the subject is required for university entry. In this case, Mathematics is facilitating because you need it in order to do Economics at university.

A-Levels, other than when a subject is explicitly required by the university, are chosen for how good a preparation they may be. Some are inevitable better than others.

And say you choose to apply to Trinity, Cambridge; if you had A*AA in Economics, Religious Studies and History your application would deem very suitable (with respects to the subjects that is).

If you, however, applied with History, Government and Politics and Sociology, they would -as they claim on the website- be unable to consider your application.

I hope I made this somewhat clearier.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by *Stefan*
I am sorry but, once again, you do not seem to understand the difference.

A respectable and a facilitating A-Level are two very different things. The former, which is what you wrongly said, means that a subject is very good for university study. Regardless of what you're going to study at university, it is still a very good preparation. It's like History for a Law degree. The former is not required but is still very respected (and recommended).

Economics is hugely respected (equally to English Literature, History and the sciences in some cases) not because it is necessarily required, but because the skills you develop during the course are useful for any degree.

Sociology, however, due its not so demanding specification (according to the universities that is, no personal opinion here), is not deemed as rigorous as Economics or History or English literarure etc.

The latter, which is what you meant to say I believe, is when the subject is required for university entry. In this case, Mathematics is facilitating because you need it in order to do Economics at university.

A-Levels, other than when a subject is explicitly required by the university, are chosen for how good a preparation they may be. Some are inevitable better than others.

And say you choose to apply to Trinity, Cambridge; if you had A*AA in Economics, Religious Studies and History your application would deem very suitable (with respects to the subjects that is).

If you, however, applied with History, Government and Politics and Sociology, they would -as they claim on the website- be unable to consider your application.

I hope I made this somewhat clearier.

I do get your point. However, OP is taking Biology and Chemistry, so taking Sociology and RS would be completely fine in their specific case.
I did Biology, chemistry and sociology. If you have any questions let me know!
aim in life or university preferences?
Reply 8
Original post by TheAlchemistt
I did Biology, chemistry and sociology. If you have any questions let me know!

Was it easier to cope with Biology and Chemistry with Sociology being an easier third subject?
Reply 9
Original post by economist2
aim in life or university preferences?

Want to go into Nutrition and would therefore be doing a Nutrition BSc degree...But this depends on the grades I get :tongue:
Original post by jasmin_bhim
Was it easier to cope with Biology and Chemistry with Sociology being an easier third subject?

Being honest with you, i thought it would be easier then i thought. It was actually quite difficult, ill say the same difficulty as biology.
There is so much content in sociology which you have to read, make sure you know my heart then write like an essay in terrible time conditions.
However saying that, its very interesting! I really liked education and religion as its so relatable so i would say its worth doing as it may be nice to have a change from science.
Just don't fall under the illusion which i did, its far from easy but i think you will enjoy it!
Reply 11
Hello,

I'm taking 5 a alevels: Biology, Chemistry, History, Psychology and Sociology. However, I was just wondering if anyone can enlighten me on whether History is really hard, demanding and if the essays are tough?

Quick Reply

Latest