The Student Room Group

Doing another A2 in Gap Year

Hello,

I'm currently taking a gap year and planning to reapply to do Natural Sciences starting in 2015. I've achieved very good A2 grades in Maths, Biology and Chemistry, enough to surpass the overall entry requirements for my universities.

Having taken Physics AS last year, could I take the A2 section this year, to increase my module options available when at university? If I did that, would Universities make an offer based on this Physics A2? As I'd much prefer to have an Unconditional offer so I'm not stressed next summer.

Thanks
Reply 1
Hi, don't know if this will be useful or not but I just took a gap year and taught myself A2 Environmental Studies after I got a really good grade in it when I took it as an AS in my second year at college. I basically just bought the textbook from Amazon and wrote up notes and did past papers in my local library, and just payed to take the exams at my old college in June. It was fine because it was only written papers. Don't you have to do a practical exam for physics though?

I applied for uni in 2012 for deferred entry, (so to start this year) I mentioned in my personal statement that I was considering teaching myself this A2 in my gap year but none of the unis I applied to made me an offer that was conditional on me getting that so it was all fine. :smile:
You should be okay so long as you don't enter the physics as a 'pending grade' on your ucas. Hope this all helps xx
Reply 2
I'm hoping my school will let me in to do the practicals when necessary, my physics teachers loved me but they've all left now so I'm hoping my legacy will be remembered.

So only mention it in my PS and not the actual form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you mention it on UCAS then universities can make you an offer conditional on a certain grade. However I think it pretty unlikely that anywhere other than Oxbridge would do so. Oxbridge might give you a conditional offer as they like people to complete what they start, however that might give us an unconditional and even if conditional the offer could be a C or just a pass.
Original post by Mini-Me
Hello,

I'm currently taking a gap year and planning to reapply to do Natural Sciences starting in 2015. I've achieved very good A2 grades in Maths, Biology and Chemistry, enough to surpass the overall entry requirements for my universities.

Having taken Physics AS last year, could I take the A2 section this year, to increase my module options available when at university? If I did that, would Universities make an offer based on this Physics A2? As I'd much prefer to have an Unconditional offer so I'm not stressed next summer.

Thanks

Do you actually want to do this, or do you just think it will make you a better candidate? You have what universities require, and they will make offers based on your 3 (very good, by your statement) A levels. They won't expect any more, so only do it if you actually want to do it for its own sake.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending