The Student Room Group

I don't Know what im taking for a level

I don't Know what im taking for a level, I was thinking physics, history and computing. I wanted to take maths but it really is my weakest subject even though i got a b for it. I got A's in core and additional science and an A in history but im really confused on what courses to take as i dont know what degree i want to take at uni. Any advice?
Reply 1
Original post by AmmanK1
I don't Know what im taking for a level, I was thinking physics, history and computing. I wanted to take maths but it really is my weakest subject even though i got a b for it. I got A's in core and additional science and an A in history but im really confused on what courses to take as i dont know what degree i want to take at uni. Any advice?

Hi I enrolled for Sixth Form last week and I chose Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. I found this thread really useful when I was deciding which A-Levels to take. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1335691
Original post by AmmanK1

Maths does go well with both Physics and Computing, but if you anticipate struggling with it and not enjoying it then don't take it. However, a B at GCSE isn't a bad grade so depending on how hard you work you may be OK... (if your college even allows it as many have a GCSE grade A minimum for Maths).

Chemistry also goes well with Physics, but it's a difficult subject and only worth taking if you enjoy it. History would be complimented by English Lit, Lang, or both combined, as well as Philosophy.

What subjects did you particularly enjoy at GCSE?
Reply 3
Original post by LeFailFish
Maths does go well with both Physics and Computing, but if you anticipate struggling with it and not enjoying it then don't take it. However, a B at GCSE isn't a bad grade so depending on how hard you work you may be OK... (if your college even allows it as many have a GCSE grade A minimum for Maths).

Chemistry also goes well with Physics, but it's a difficult subject and only worth taking if you enjoy it. History would be complimented by English Lit, Lang, or both combined, as well as Philosophy.

What subjects did you particularly enjoy at GCSE?

History mainly and Business studies, maths i hate with a passion, i walked in to the exam without knowing half the material. But im relativley good in all subjects i got As in History and Sciences and b's for the rest of my subjects.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Take subjects you love. Unless you want to do something like History at uni (where you would obviously need you to do a history A-Level) they won't care what subjects you take. At the end of the day you'll be the one putting in the hours and sitting through lessons!

I took Sociology which I hate and I majorly regret it....on the other hand, I could sit in a history class all day!!
Original post by AmmanK1
History mainly and Business studies, maths i hate with a passion, i walked in to the exam without knowing half the material. But im relativley good in all subjects i got As in History and Sciences and b's for the rest of my subjects.

You could always take Business Studies at A level (or just to AS) - as it's a fourth subject it doesn't matter as much what it is. Take anything that you think you'll enjoy, and if you don't enjoy it, drop it after AS. (Or, within the first term you may be allowed to switch to a different subject)
Might want to hurry up and decide. I took physics and it was a load of balls. Don't do it unless you're great at maths.

Or you could go on the dole
Reply 7
Original post by HSRMJ
Might want to hurry up and decide. I took physics and it was a load of balls. Don't do it unless you're great at maths.

Or you could go on the dole

Yh thats why im second guessing. Im pretty **** at maths and even though i got an A* at physics GCSE the calculations were always a struggle and form what ive been hearing A level physics i mostly calculations
Reply 8
Original post by JadeMay
Hi I enrolled for Sixth Form last week and I chose Biology, Chemistry, History and Psychology. I found this thread really useful when I was deciding which A-Levels to take. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1335691

Im thinking to take biology,chemisty and history, any info for me ?
Original post by AmmanK1
Yh thats why im second guessing. Im pretty **** at maths and even though i got an A* at physics GCSE the calculations were always a struggle and form what ive been hearing A level physics i mostly calculations

If you're not great at maths I'd avoid it. If you don't need Physics for uni then avoid it. You'd be better doing a subject you know you'll do well in
Reply 10
Original post by HSRMJ
If you're not great at maths I'd avoid it. If you don't need Physics for uni then avoid it. You'd be better doing a subject you know you'll do well in

Thanks for the advice. So ive researched a bit and i think i should do history,bio and chemistry. Any advice on these and maybe you could recommend a fourth a level
Original post by PGAH
Take subjects you love. Unless you want to do something like History at uni (where you would obviously need you to do a history A-Level) they won't care what subjects you take. At the end of the day you'll be the one putting in the hours and sitting through lessons!

I took Sociology which I hate and I majorly regret it....on the other hand, I could sit in a history class all day!!

*******s. I'm taking sociology I think, why did you hate it and furthermore did your class mates hate it?
Original post by AmmanK1
Thanks for the advice. So ive researched a bit and i think i should do history,bio and chemistry. Any advice on these and maybe you could recommend a fourth a level

Sounds like a decent mix you've got there. I'd suggest keeping it to 3 so you've still got some free time but it's up to you
Reply 13
i'd suggest taking 4 AS's....partly because a majority of universities ask for a 4th AS at least to grade C.

Physics....well i took physics AS without maths....got a B, 79% which isnt bad. Honestly all the maths in there is putting numbers into equations that are given to you on a separate sheet. all you need to know is what the letters stand for and how to rearrange simple equations. Easy.

Y not take something like Psychology, or English lit. These go well with History
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest