AQA Chemistry or OCR A Chemistry AND Edexcel chemistry?

Watch
JAHLee
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Is AQA Harder? What are the differences in the specification?
JAHLee
Rep:
?
Anyone, please?
JAHLee
Rep:
?
I am going to move sixth form and one of the them have the AQA Syllabus as their exam board.
Could you please let me know what is AQA Chemistry in A-level is like? What are the differences between the OCR A and AQA?
JAHLee
Rep:
?
Please?
bump
theresheglows
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JAHLee)
I am going to move sixth form and one of the them have the AQA Syllabus as their exam board.
Could you please let me know what is AQA Chemistry in A-level is like? What are the differences between the OCR A and AQA?

AQA is a much nicer exam board for chemistry than OCR, the syllabus and exams are much more straightforward.
Rubato
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
My friend did OCR and said that it was so hard the year were complaining so my school have now changed it to AQA.
JAHLee
Rep:
?
Really? Because in my previous school we use AQA for biology and it was horrible- They were really being specific! But I wasn't sure if it was going to be the same with chemistry...
LazyAmbition
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by JAHLee)
Is AQA Harder? What are the differences in the specification?
Well it's really not easy to say what's 'harder' as people generally don't experience a particular subject in more than one exam board so it's difficult to compare. Although, some students that have moved from an exam board to AQA say they found AQA more comfortable.
An A level chemistry teacher I talked to said that every exam board has more or less the same content with bits here and there that are taught differently. AQA does have a reputation for being 'friendlier' but that doesn't mean the content is not challenging though the examination may seem a little more pleasant.
If you do however feel the need to pick the 'right' exam board I'd say to look at the coursework/exam ratio and see which one you'd feel you'd perform well in. Also look at past papers of the different exam boards and see what style of questions you prefer.

That being said I would stress that success at A levels isn't down to what exam board you have, I'm sure with hard work + focus + academic abilities, you'll achieve the grades you want whether you sit an AQA or OCR exam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (104)
60.82%
No (67)
39.18%

Watched Threads