Rear tinted windows and insurance? Watch

This discussion is closed.
burgergetsbored
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Just bought a new car and was thinking about tinting the back windows with 23% film, the upfront cost (£90) is decent but for some reason admiral count it as a modification and want £60 more a year to allow it?! They're the only insurer I can go with really as I have named driver no claims and multi car so no one can beat their price.

I'm just wondering, is that £60 going to be fixed every year as "modifications" (regardless of age and time driving) or is it likely to come down in price with the rest of my insurance in time?
daydreamer93
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
why would you wanna tint the back windows? are you planning a heist where you store the money in the back seat, so no one can see.
burgergetsbored
Rep:
?
(Original post by daydreamer93)
why would you wanna tint the back windows? are you planning a heist where you store the money in the back seat, so no one can see.
Exactly this. But I also want to be weary of my insurance so I can save as much of that stolen money as possible.
Alfissti
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
My LR Discovery has had its glass fitted with anti-shatter tint films and it has to be declared as a modification to the insurance company.

It does go down as the insured value of the vehicle reduces. Definitely the case with just about every insurance company. I got it waived this year because I told the insurance company that one of the insured drivers is allergic to UV rays and prone to sunburns thus require the car to be fitted with some kind of UV barriers. Also told them we don't want to use sunshades as the vehicle has side and curtain airbags and in an event of the airbags being deployed the sunshades might cause further injuries.
benji385
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I just wouldn't tell them. If your window breaks they gonna put in a clear one instead, so you would have to get it tinted again if you wanted to, but so what? unless you break it every year you save money by not telling them. Young people insurance is a rip off anyway dont make it even worse for yourself!
x-Venezia-x
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I don't really know if modifications has a fixed price on your car insurance. I would give Admiral a call and ask them but there's no need to tell them. Whatever you store in your car, is at your own risk.
burgergetsbored
Rep:
?
It ended up being £70 more a year when I rang to check this morning so with the £90 for having them fitted it just wasn't worth it. I'll try again next year and see if there's any difference I definitely wont be putting on a slightly larger spoiler if the windows cost that much!

I wouldn't have bothered telling them but they do class it as a modification so the woman said it have to be declared because something so silly like that could void my insurance if I claimed and they found out.... ridiculous money grabbers!
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Apart from repairs anything extra you put on or change in size. They need to be told about,you are right ref the money.

But it's better than getting 6 points and fine. Or having an accident and ending up in court.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rooster11366)
Apart from repairs anything extra you put on or change in size. They need to be told about,you are right ref the money.

But it's better than getting 6 points and fine. Or having an accident and ending up in court.
This thread is coming up three years old...
Rooster11366
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Oh yes just seen that myself. Need glasses I think. 😂
Devpatel
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Are you ok? People tint windows to make the car look more premium, make it just look better in general, that’s what the typical young male wants to do I guess. You just got to respect what people like, some people may not like what you do.
IWMTom
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Devpatel)
Are you ok? People tint windows to make the car look more premium, make it just look better in general, that’s what the typical young male wants to do I guess. You just got to respect what people like, some people may not like what you do.
Check the thread date.

RoyalSheepy
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do unconditional offers make teenagers lazy?

Yes (217)
60.11%
No (144)
39.89%

Watched Threads