The Student Room Group

Third year or foundation year

Hello I was hoping to get advise and insight. I done a btec national diploma worth 2 alevels at distinction merit and I got a d in media. I got offers tondo foundation year, but I'd rather do a third year to save money, is it possible for me to do AS's and re apply for uni the following year and still get in, please quick replies to know.
Have you calculated the UCAS points of your current qualifications? You may meet the entry requirements for higher than a foundation year, if a uni is willing to accept your total points combined.

A foundation year is really not a bad option - you get an extra year to adapt to university study and make up for your grades that you missed.

If you decide to resit a year at college, you may have problems with accommodation, life at home, etc, and with a foundation year the only problem is that you're going to have an extra year to pay for in the future and maybe something left on your degree (but realistically it's better than a resit year at college).
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by mynameisntdoug
Have you calculated the UCAS points of your current qualifications? You may meet the entry requirements for higher than a foundation year, if a uni is willing to accept your total points combined.

A foundation year is really not a bad option - you get an extra year to adapt to university study and make up for your grades that you missed.

If you decide to resit a year at college, you may have problems with accommodation, life at home, etc, and with a foundation year the only problem is that you're going to have an extra year to pay for in the future and maybe something left on your degree (but realistically it's better than a resit year at college).

No forgot to say I got a d in my retake of English gcse but I still got accepted for the foundation year, that was the main reason I was going to do a 3rd year
Original post by j1996
No forgot to say I got a d in my retake of English gcse but I still got accepted for the foundation year, that was the main reason I was going to do a 3rd year

As I said, a foundation year is my personal recommendation. Good luck with your decision!

Quick Reply