Turn on thread page Beta

Intercollegiate Halls - University of London watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi..
    does anyone have any expierience with any halls? Which ones are most friendly? Which ones have really nice accommodation? What about the room sizes?
    Thanks a lot..

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm going to be applying for Intercollegiate halls too. My first choice will be Canterbury because it seems to have more facilities than the other halls but I think it's really oversubscribed so I might not even get allocated a room there.

ReputationRep:
    I was kind of thinkin about International college or commonwealth...they have all the facilities I really need, but I'm wondering what the student life is like..
    everyone going to different colleges and stuff>>>it either means more friends or absolutly no friends... I thinks it's rather unlikely to meet someone from your class at your hall... :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I was kind of thinkin about International college or commonwealth...they have all the facilities I really need, but I'm wondering what the student life is like..
    everyone going to different colleges and stuff>>>it either means more friends or absolutly no friends... I thinks it's rather unlikely to meet someone from your class at your hall... :\
    Yeah, it's unlikely I'll meet anyone from my uni or course in those intercollegiate halls because they don't really allocate many rooms for first year students at the uni I'm going to but I'm sure it'll be good meeting people from different colleges.

Not really sure about those 2 halls you've mentioned but I've read that Canterbury, Hughes Parry and Connaught are probably the best ones.

Where are you planning to go and what course?

ReputationRep:
    at 40 week contracts, non of them

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to KCL War Studies or SOAS Dev.studies & Arabic..
    but rather KCL..
    and about the Halls...
    I was thinking Stanford or Great Dover...from KCL, but they're all self-catered and I can't cook..
    I dunno anything about the intercoll.h. so I set up this thread...
    But judging from the tiny pics International Hall looks real nice, but small rooms, Nutford has the biggest, I think, but it's quite funky... But really, I have no idea
    What uni and course are you on?

ReputationRep:
    Anyone??? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    economics at LSE
    staying at a lse residence cos i can not do a 40 week contract

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    but rather KCL..
    and about the Halls...
    I was thinking Stanford or Great Dover...from KCL, but they're all self-catered and I can't cook..
    But judging from the tiny pics International Hall looks real nice, but small rooms, Nutford has the biggest, I think, but it's quite funky... But really, I have no idea
    SOAS for Economics
    1st choice: Canterbury
    2nd choice: SOAS halls

ReputationRep:
    My first choice is the Soas accomodation but i put down international as my second.

ReputationRep:
    Hughes Parry Hall is a popular choice - although I have no idea why! I'm going to KCL as well

ReputationRep:
    im going to ucl this october and im also considering the intercollegiate halls.
    Does anyone know the bathroom situation at canterbury and commonwealth - ie how many other people u have to share with?

ReputationRep:
    UCl Law OCT 2004

1. Canterbury
    2. Connaught

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TickityBoo)
    My first choice is the Soas accomodation but i put down international as my second.
    have you received the soas accomodation forms yet??

ReputationRep:
    well i stayed in IH.....and i was going to say i had a brilliant time despite it looking minging but ive just been on the website and they have done a load of work on the place and it now looks really great! i couldnt believe it. the bar and dining hall appear to have been done and the entrance never used to look like it does now.
    so basically id say i had a brill time with all the people i met, from various colleges, despite most of it being very run down (which you do get used to after a while)...but now its been renovated id say IH would not be a bad place to get.
    good luck.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *boo*)
    have you received the soas accomodation forms yet??
    I haven't - I thought I was left out or something so I emailed Soas and they sent me a reference number so i could apply to sshl which i did, but they were supposed to email a confirmation of processing my application - which I haven't yet received - all in all it's been one big c*** up!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TickityBoo)
    I haven't - I thought I was left out or something so I emailed Soas and they sent me a reference number so i could apply to sshl which i did, but they were supposed to email a confirmation of processing my application - which I haven't yet received - all in all it's been one big c*** up!
    So do you think I should email them or wait until they send out the forms? I think the deadline for intercollegiate applications is end of May but not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    but rather KCL..
    and about the Halls...
    i know two people wh r going to do war studies at kcl and one doing it there already! must b pretty popular (its the only place in the country with it isn't it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by julia r)
    i know two people wh r going to do war studies at kcl and one doing it there already! must b pretty popular (its the only place in the country with it isn't it?
    Yeah, it's a really good course...6* or whatever..the best rating you can get..
    There are actually other war studies courses at a couple of unis (3-4) but KCL originally started it and is way better than the others...

ReputationRep:
    Visited the intercollegiate halls on Sunday, as well as all the Kings accomodation (minus Wolfson House and Kings College Hall).

All the intercollegiate accomodation was nice. However, I think Huges-Parry, Canterbury and Commonwealth were especially nice. The only thing that sways me towards these three is that they are all next to each other in a very nice part of London with their own private park with tennis courts just opposite. The main advantage of having three halls (and a fourth, Connaught about five minutes away) next to each other is that it gave the local environment a slightly more vibrant, studenty edge which the other halls may lack. The area, although still looking very posh and gentrified, had some dirt cheap bookshops and cafe's (full english breakfast for £1.50) to cater for the students that lived their. This is something that other halls such as College and International may lack.

However, all the halls were very nice and I'm sure anyone ending up in any of them would be very happy as they all had a great atmosphere. Then again, maybe the glorious sunshine enjoyed on Sunday when I visited them gave me a tinted image of them all!

The only decision I've got to make is whether I want catered or not. If not, then I'll be going for Great Dover St or Brian Creamer House.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.