Turn on thread page Beta

University selection "Lottery" watch

ReputationRep:
    There have been a couple more articles in the papers regarding unis rejecting v,. able candidates...does anyone else think it's almost like a "lottery"???
    I mean...students who get outstanding GCSE grades, A levels, extra-curricular activities and good interviews get rejected....euh...im worried now!!!

ReputationRep:
    When I came to Cambridge my parents were sent to another room and had a talk. They were told by the senior tutor, "we do not make mistakes in our selection process".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blissy)
    When I came to Cambridge my parents were sent to another room and had a talk. They were told by the senior tutor, "we do not make mistakes in our selection process".
    Good for you! I hope that's true for everyone...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_girl)
    Good for you! I hope that's true for everyone...
    Oh, I didn't make that clear! My parents, along with everyone else's, went for the talk.

Cambridge selects the right people, but a lot of very talented people are unfortunately turned down because of demand

ReputationRep:
    There have been a couple more articles in the papers regarding unis rejecting v,. able candidates...does anyone else think it's almost like a "lottery"???
    I mean...students who get outstanding GCSE grades, A levels, extra-curricular activities and good interviews get rejected....euh...im worried now!!!
    Yeah...these days more and more top applicants get at least one rejection...but you'd be damn unlucky to not get at least 2 or 3 offers from top universities unless there was something seriously wrong with your form.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say that it's like a lottery..the ones with the best Personal Statement or interview win... your grades aren't that important..
    like my grades at high school suck ass, but I have recieved 4 out of 5 offers at really good schools..rejected from IR LSE..

You just need to know how to sell yourself... most importantly make yourself more interesting than you really are..

If your Personal Statement sux, you look boring at an interview and overall your grades are good, than sure thing it's a lottery.

ReputationRep:
    "we do not make mistakes in our selection process".
    I am sorry, that is not true! Having had oxbridge candidates in my classes for the last two years, i have seen how they work in an academic environment much longer than the interviewers have done and i know who are more deserving of places than others, and sometimes the more deserving get rejected and the less deserving get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medic)
    I am sorry, that is not true! Having had oxbridge candidates in my classes for the last two years, i have seen how they work in an academic environment much longer than the interviewers have done and i know who are more deserving of places than others, and sometimes the more deserving get rejected and the less deserving get in.
    Surely you don't know more about the Oxbridge environment that the Oxbridge tutors 'emselves?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    Surely you don't know more about the Oxbridge environment that the Oxbridge tutors 'emselves?
    sometimes tho wen 2 candidates go up for the same subject and one of them gets in n the other doesnt u start thinkin wtf. we had 2 students go 2 cambrdige 4 interview for the same subject and the one who is by far the cleverer didnt get in, i know they're looking for potential but it made u wonder

ReputationRep:
    When we got a talk on admissions by an admissions tutor, he said that "Unfortunately, I regret about 1 in 10 of my admissions, and I know I make mistakes."

ReputationRep:
    Anyone see that in a newspaper this week, about the chick that's been rejected from all four of her med school choices, despite having all As etc?

Maybe admissions tutors felt she did not have the experience that other applicants did have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    sometimes tho wen 2 candidates go up for the same subject and one of them gets in n the other doesnt u start thinkin wtf. we had 2 students go 2 cambrdige 4 interview for the same subject and the one who is by far the cleverer didnt get in, i know they're looking for potential but it made u wonder
    Perhaps they were going for different colleges, were interviewed by different people, came across differently in interview. That's most likely the reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pepper)
    Anyone see that in a newspaper this week, about the chick that's been rejected from all four of her med school choices, despite having all As etc?

Maybe admissions tutors felt she did not have the experience that other applicants did have.
    Unfortunatley for her, these medics applications are absolutely amazing, havin a string of As, fantastic work experience and good extra curric acitivities seem to be the norm for them!

ReputationRep:
    Some courses do use a randomised system. For example Barts and The London School of Med and Dentistry allocate all applicants (who meet the basic academic requirements) to thier GEP course a number, and then pick numbers out of a hat....

Your number comes up, you get an interview.....

ReputationRep:
    I would probably think that they don't make mistakes in their selection process.

Although they do not always pick those who are obviously the brightest by results they do seem to go for those who apply themselves to work and can demonstrate enthusiasm for their subject by both personal statement and interview.

ReputationRep:

Apart from the whole Oxbridge debate, I think anywhere is a bit of a lottery; places like Warwick, Nottingham etc get far to many able candidates, and naturally have to reject some of them for spurious reasons. The key mistake, I think, is setting all your hopes on one or two places, as when you get rejected from them, despite getting 4 other offers, you then feel like you've been cheated of a place. I'm not talking from personal experience here, but I know people form school who got into places (eg Durham (!) ) that they didn't really like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rikku)
    I wouldn't say that it's like a lottery..the ones with the best Personal Statement or interview win... your grades aren't that important..
    like my grades at high school suck ass, but I have recieved 4 out of 5 offers at really good schools..rejected from IR LSE..

You just need to know how to sell yourself... most importantly make yourself more interesting than you really are..

If your Personal Statement sux, you look boring at an interview and overall your grades are good, than sure thing it's a lottery.
    From what I've heard from my head of 6th form, it's actually the opposite. They sometimes don't even look at your PS if you're only predicted, say ABB when the usual offer is AAA.

ReputationRep:
    What I'm wondering is how that girl was rejected from ALL 4 unis!!! I mean, it's not like she had awful grades...is it?! Well...we don't know what she got in her BMAT and what her interview was like, but...don't you think it's a little strange if she was rejected not from 1 or 2, but all 4???

ReputationRep:
    What I'm wondering is how that girl was rejected from ALL 4 unis!!! I mean, it's not like she had awful grades...is it?! Well...we don't know what she got in her BMAT and what her interview was like, but...don't you think it's a little strange if she was rejected not from 1 or 2, but all 4???
    No, but medicine is hugely competitive. Like you say, maybe her BMAT was poor, maybe she didn't do maths, maybe she didn't interview well. May she applied for a deffered place - those are almost impossible to get. Plenty of reasons to explain it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H&E)
    No, but medicine is hugely competitive. Like you say, maybe her BMAT was poor, maybe she didn't do maths, maybe she didn't interview well. May she applied for a deffered place - those are almost impossible to get. Plenty of reasons to explain it.
    Maybe she didn't do maths?! Aaaa, but I'm not doing maths a-level either! I thought it's ok to have physics instead??? :confused:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2004
Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.