The Student Room Group

Help! Failed AS but not allowed to retake the year!

Hello. My brother wishes to study computer science at university, most courses of which require an A level in Maths. His AS results were not ideal:

Computing C
DT C
Maths E
Physics D

He has Asperger's Syndrome so really struggles with organisational skills and self discipline, and so underestimated the amount of revision he would have to do. He is not, however, unintelligent.

He and my family had decided that his best bet was to retake the year, with a greater understanding of what it involves so as to better his grades and his chances for university.

Unfortunately, today we discovered that his school will NOT allow him to retake the year, but to continue to A2 with computing, DT and physics! This would not be good for him at all, as having just sat the A2 year myself, I know how much harder it is than AS.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Having just retaken Year 12, and having to leave my current school and start attending a new sixth form in September, I strongly recommend that your brother leaves his current school and starts fresh at a new school/college. This seems to be the best option for him.
Good luck to him x
Reply 2
Original post by mysterymeat
Having just retaken Year 12, and having to leave my current school and start attending a new sixth form in September, I strongly recommend that your brother leaves his current school and starts fresh at a new school/college. This seems to be the best option for him.
Good luck to him x

I agree, I knew many people who left their school after year 12 to retake at another sixth form or college, it is not uncommon at all and he will not be alone in this situation. Best of luck to him and his decision making
Reply 3
Thank you so much! Will look into other schools available. Will the late application not be an issue? I heard some terms are starting on Monday!
Original post by Alyma
Thank you so much! Will look into other schools available. Will the late application not be an issue? I heard some terms are starting on Monday!

Some schools are likely to turn him away as they already have enough pupils and have gone through enrolment etc., but some are still likely to have places. Mine, for example, doesn't have enrolment for new year 12's until next Tuesday.

Quick Reply

Latest