Granted a a gap year but reapply via UCAS

Watch
rappyrat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 years ago
I have a complicated question. Suppose I managed to secure a 1 year deferred entry to LSE and paid up the required deposit to LSE to hold the place for me, can I still apply to other university during that 1 year? Meaning, if I change my plan and want to apply to another university, besides losing the deposit with LSE, is there any legal obligation? Will I be able to apply to another university via UCAS in the first place after having already secured a place with LSE for deferred entry? Pls help!
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by rappyrat)
I have a complicated question. Suppose I managed to secure a 1 year deferred entry to LSE and paid up the required deposit to LSE to hold the place for me, can I still apply to other university during that 1 year? Meaning, if I change my plan and want to apply to another university, besides losing the deposit with LSE, is there any legal obligation? Will I be able to apply to another university via UCAS in the first place after having already secured a place with LSE for deferred entry? Pls help!
Unless LSE have a very strange system that I've never heard of before (unlikely), then there is no deposit required to hold a place for you.

However, you can't hold a place from one university and then send in a whole new UCAS application in the following cycle without first rejecting your place at LSE.

It sounds like you haven't actually applied for any unis yet, so I would suggest that you simply send in your five applications as normal (deferred if you want a gap year, not deferred if you don't), see where you get places and then pick from that selection.
rappyrat
Rep:
?
Dear Origami Bullets
Thanks much for yr helpful reply.
Yes, I chance upon this site that read LSE has a deposit reqt for defer entry. I am not sure if this is correct though..

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/...erralForm.aspx

As I'm totally inexperience with uni application (I will only start applying end of this year), Pls help me with these questions:
1. so, Is it most UK universities do not normally need a deposit to hold a place?
2. If I need a defer entry and want to apply end of this year 2014 for 2016 entry, Do i put in UCAS stating right from the application stage to the university that I want a defer entry? Is that the normal procedure? or I should get an offer from the university first and then write in to request for deferment? which way is more favorable for me? which way is more correct?
Thank you & sorry for asking so many qns.

(Original post by Origami Bullets)
Unless LSE have a very strange system that I've never heard of before (unlikely), then there is no deposit required to hold a place for you.

However, you can't hold a place from one university and then send in a whole new UCAS application in the following cycle without first rejecting your place at LSE.

It sounds like you haven't actually applied for any unis yet, so I would suggest that you simply send in your five applications as normal (deferred if you want a gap year, not deferred if you don't), see where you get places and then pick from that selection.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Dear Origami Bullets
Thanks much for yr helpful reply.
Yes, I chance upon this site that read LSE has a deposit reqt for defer entry. I am not sure if this is correct though..

http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/...erralForm.aspx

As I'm totally inexperience with uni application (I will only start applying end of this year), Pls help me with these questions:
1. so, Is it most UK universities do not normally need a deposit to hold a place?
2. If I need a defer entry and want to apply end of this year 2014 for 2016 entry, Do i put in UCAS stating right from the application stage to the university that I want a defer entry? Is that the normal procedure? or I should get an offer from the university first and then write in to request for deferment? which way is more favorable for me? which way is more correct?
Thank you & sorry for asking so many qns.
That's only for people doing short term, professional courses http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/graduate/home.aspx

There's information for undergraduates here http://www.lse.ac.uk/study/undergrad...ger_1_Anchor_9 and there's no charge

1. No, they don't require a deposit to defer your place :nah:

2. If you know for certain that you want to take a gap year, then you should tell them straight away on your UCAS form. Whilst you could apply as a non-deferred student and ask later for deferral, they don't have to say yes if they don't want to.
rappyrat
Rep:
?
Thank you Origami Bullets,
you r so helpful ! Do u know much about oxford PPE application? I am considering applying for it.
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Thank you Origami Bullets,
you r so helpful ! Do u know much about oxford PPE application? I am considering applying for it.
I tend to leave the Oxford questions to people who know Oxford in far more detail than I do! Have you seen our Oxford forum?

Posted from TSR Mobile
rappyrat
Rep:
?
Ok thanks so much, i found the Oxford thread and will post my questions there. Thanks for your help on UCAS, i will write to you again should I need further help. U r great!
Origami Bullets
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ok thanks so much, i found the Oxford thread and will post my questions there. Thanks for your help on UCAS, i will write to you again should I need further help. U r great!
No problem, and thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (53)
17.67%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (83)
27.67%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (115)
38.33%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (39)
13%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.33%

Watched Threads