The Student Room Group

Can you get into 3rd year of a course through clearing?

I started a degree many years ago but didn't finish it, so I didn't state it on my UCAS. Can I apply for direct entry to third year?
Original post by Random254
I started a degree many years ago but didn't finish it, so I didn't state it on my UCAS. Can I apply for direct entry to third year?

No chance at all. Even current students find it hard to transfer into the second year at a university, so your old and incompatible study will get you nowhere. In addition, the rules of student finance are length of course plus one year, minus the number of years taken, which in your case gives you a total of 2. This means that even starting a new degree, you will have no finance for the first year, including fees loans, and will have to fund it upfront yourself. The remaining two years would be funded.
Original post by Random254

As second year credits usually count towards a degree, most universities are very very reluctant to accept people onto the 3rd year of a degree unless they are transferring from an approved foundation degree.

As your degree was started many years ago, it's probably the subject will have changed and moved on even at undergraduate level, and it would be hard to jump into study at a third year level after a long break. This means that it's even more unlikely to happen in your situation.

It would be a good idea to contact any universities you're interested in and ask what they would suggest in your situation, and if they would, for example, allow you direct entry into second year or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending