The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Flybynight18
I SO want Newcastle. Although my UKCAT score was 727.5. I think I will still apply as an aspirational choice. Fingers crossed it is lower this year.

Spoken to a girl who had an interview at Newcastle last year with a UKCAT of 712!
Also, I can no longer find any official (not TSR) reference to last years cut off of 745; can someone send me a link or has it been removed?
Hey! What does everyone think about choosing N or D or E? Does it reduce your chances if you just choose N? :smile: and why do people generally not like the Durham campus?

Spoken to a girl who had an interview at Newcastle last year with a UKCAT of 712!
Also, I can no longer find any official (not TSR) reference to last years cut off of 745; can someone send me a link or has it been removed?

Here it is: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/OverviewUKCATThresholds.pdf :smile:
Original post by sharvarivadeyar
Hey! What does everyone think about choosing N or D or E? Does it reduce your chances if you just choose N? :smile: and why do people generally not like the Durham campus?

Here it is: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/mbbs/admissions/documents/OverviewUKCATThresholds.pdf :smile:

Yes but the info on last years cut off (745) is missing! Can anyone locate it? I definitely have seen 745 recently and it was also flashed up on the board at the open day.
Reply 23
Original post by sharvarivadeyar

I'm going for either. The actual Queen's campus where the med school is looks very nice, and while I'm hearing iffy stuff about Stockton (the town it's near), it's still just a 5 minute bus/train ride from Middlesborough/Durham and half an hour train from Newcastle. Also increases chances for an offer should you get to interview. Having said that I would still prefer Newcastle campus

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes but the info on last years cut off (745) is missing! Can anyone locate it? I definitely have seen 745 recently and it was also flashed up on the board at the open day.

Yep sorry just found that! :smile:
http://www.ncl.ac.uk/media/sites/centralsite/undergraduate/documents/Application%20and%20Interview%20data%20External%20view.pdf

Original post by ja1
I'm going for either.

Yep I think I'm doing the same!
how many people do they interview? and how many offers?
Reply 26
Interesting how open days change your perception..well I thought I was applying to either but now I reckon I'll apply just for Newcastle. It seems very nice there, and has a good student vibe. Accommodation is very nice as well, particularly self catered. Drove through Queen's campus on the way back, and just don't think it would suit me, it's 1 hour bus journey from Durham and half an hour train ride from Newcastle. Think I'd end up always wondering, 'what's going going on/what am I missing out on in Newcastle/Durham City'. Still a nice campus though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I also wonder if there may be slightly less competition this year(even if UKCAT cut off remains around 750), only as Newcastle are known as very UKCAT heavy, and if the average score decreases less people would apply for Newcastle. Therefore less interviews and higher interview:redface:ffer ratio.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
sup guys, i've decided to apply to the Nuevo Castillo, so i thought I'd sub to the thread.
Profile (in case you were interested)
GCSE: 10A* 3A
AS: AAAA(a)
A2 pred.: AAA(a*)
UKCAT: 780 B1
Reply 29
just saying here in Newcastle we have loads of teachers, most of whom are practising doctors, and the staff student ratio is crazy, like a personal tutor between 2 or 3 people. DUQC however has no clinicians but does have that better chance at interview.
Any q's happy to try an answer
1st year medic @ncl
Reply 30
Hi do you think a score of 695 (8th decile - top 20%) will be sufficient for newcastle this year considering the averages have dropped significantly? Thanks.
Reply 31
Original post by R-Pilk10
Hi do you think a score of 695 (8th decile - top 20%) will be sufficient for newcastle this year considering the averages have dropped significantly? Thanks.

Spoke to admissions at durham (bearing in mind durham and newcastle use the same UKCAT cut off) and she thinks the cut off will be anywhere between 2700-2800, not higher. I have 2810 and I think I'm going to apply with E preference :smile:

I'm a local so if anyone has any general questions, feel free to ask x
Original post by summy96
Spoke to admissions at durham (bearing in mind durham and newcastle use the same UKCAT cut off) and she thinks the cut off will be anywhere between 2700-2800, not higher. I have 2810 and I think I'm going to apply with E preference :smile:

Thanks a lot for the info
So do you think I would be safe applying to Newcastle only with 2880

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by summy96

Wow! I have 2910; do you think it's enough for Newcastle? I loved the Uni and it's my first choice!
Wow! I have 2910; do you think it's enough for Newcastle? I loved the Uni and it's my first choice!

hey! I got 2910 too and I submitted my application for Newcastle last week :smile: I think you should definitely go for it, especially if it's your first choice!
Reply 35
Original post by summy96

Thanks for that!

I really hope so, think the final UKCAT finalised deciles and mean scores have proved that. I mean last year the cut off was 2950 ish but the 10th decile was 3030, hopefully that means this year it will be below 2820, I got 2830 so I'm really hoping that they take note of the difference in scores :wink:

Finalised mean scores and deciles are here: http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/App_Media/uploads/pdf/2014%20Mean%20Scores%20end%20of%20testing%202.pdf

Also I live in Newcastle and its a great location, especially as the University is in the heart of the city, not in any great rush to move away :wink:
do you have a higher chance of receiving an interview if you put your choice down as E as opposed to D or N?
Reply 37
Original post by blissfully
do you have a higher chance of receiving an interview if you put your choice down as E as opposed to D or N?

Shouldn't do, they have the exact same UKCAT cut-off
Original post by FergieD
Shouldn't do, they have the exact same UKCAT cut-off

but they have different number of [places in and also receive different number of applications
Original post by blissfully
but they have different number of [places in and also receive different number of applications

i think you'll have an equal chance at interview because they do them altogether don't they? but i think you may have more chance at getting a place after interview because more people want to go to newcastle

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending