The Student Room Group

Newcastle Medicine Applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Is the Durham cut off really 2500?? I thought I had no chance with 2840!! I called admissions before I sent my ucas and was told they expected it to be between 2700 and 2800, so I thought I'd risk it! Has anyone else been told 2500? Tempted to call tomorrow and check - it would be brilliant it it was that low! There does seem to be a distinct lack of applicants to both newcastle and durham, so maybe we'll all get lucky😁
Reply 81
Original post by Ben4444
Is the Durham cut off really 2500?? I thought I had no chance with 2840!! I called admissions before I sent my ucas and was told they expected it to be between 2700 and 2800, so I thought I'd risk it! Has anyone else been told 2500? Tempted to call tomorrow and check - it would be brilliant it it was that low! There does seem to be a distinct lack of applicants to both newcastle and durham, so maybe we'll all get lucky

So rumour has it. Someone says they called and that's what they were told. If you want to call to confirm that would be great though.
Reply 82
If they have the cut off it should only be a matter of time before interviews start being handed out considering they only rank on UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 83
I really think/hope there could be a lack of Newcastle applicants this year, there's only 5 A100 Newcastle applicants on the stalking page and then the fact this thread is only 2 pages in.. If they stick to what they say in their admissions procedure in that the top 40% of UKCAT are invited (rather than the top 500, so it's not a set number) it can hopefully mean a lower interview:redface:ffer ratio than usual.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ja1
If they have the cut off it should only be a matter of time before interviews start being handed out considering they only rank on UKCAT?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hopefully. The waiting is killing me. :frown:
But looking back at last years stalking page, the earliest interview date was the 16th of November. Which means we'll probably start getting news of interviews soon. :smile:
Reply 85
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2858959&page=5&p=51558423&highlight=newcastle#post51558423

Newcastle has an official TSR admin who are answering questions.

Regarding interviews this is the current response:

"Medicine interview invites will start going out later in November, although we do invite to interview in stages so we will send out invites up until February."

Someone's asked them to confirm the truth behind the 2500 UKCAT cut off rumour as well so we'll hopefully hear something back today.
Reply 86
Original post by am1992
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2858959&page=5&p=51558423&highlight=newcastle#post51558423

Newcastle has an official TSR admin who are answering questions.

Regarding interviews this is the current response:

"Medicine interview invites will start going out later in November, although we do invite to interview in stages so we will send out invites up until February."

Someone's asked them to confirm the truth behind the 2500 UKCAT cut off rumour as well so we'll hopefully hear something back today.

Thank you😀
Reply 87
Hey guys, I'm a 4th year and for the past few years I've put a info post at the beginning of the Newcastle application thread giving people some general background on Newcastle. It's a bit late this year... but, here it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51578377&postcount=2

:smile:

Any questions feel free!

e: Also, relevant:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Beska
Hey guys, I'm a 4th year and for the past few years I've put a info post at the beginning of the Newcastle application thread giving people some general background on Newcastle. It's a bit late this year... but, here it is: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=51578377&postcount=2

:smile:

Any questions feel free!

e: Also, relevant:

Thanks! However I think (and hope) that the UKCAT score required will come down. With only 25000 sitting it this year and a top decile score of 2880, only 2500 in the country have scored over 2880. That figure includes dentists as well! Assuming half of the high scorers applied to Newcastle (and several of them will be Oxbridge/London aspiring people) that's 1250 with scores above 2880.
.... I hope I have a chance as I scored 2910!
Original post by Flybynight18
Thanks! However I think (and hope) that the UKCAT score required will come down. With only 25000 sitting it this year and a top decile score of 2880, only 2500 in the country have scored over 2880. That figure includes dentists as well! Assuming half of the high scorers applied to Newcastle (and several of them will be Oxbridge/London aspiring people) that's 1250 with scores above 2880.
.... I hope I have a chance as I scored 2910!

top decile is 2820 so even more of a chance :smile:
Reply 90
Just been on the phone to admissions. I can confirm the cut off this year is 2500. I've also emailed to see if they'll give something in writing cause I know it seems unbelievable (I didn't really believe the person who called first tbh) but, yeah, it's true apparently!
Original post by am1992
Just been on the phone to admissions. I can confirm the cut off this year is 2500. I've also emailed to see if they'll give something in writing cause I know it seems unbelievable (I didn't really believe the person who called first tbh) but, yeah, it's true apparently!

i still dont believe you! haha
Reply 92
Original post by am1992

Yay!!!! That's amazing! So everyone over 2500 gets an interview?😵😵
Reply 93
Original post by langers21
i still dont believe you! haha

I'm struggling to believe myself and I was the one on the phone! I'll post any email reply I get but they said that while that's the cut off they don't officially publish anything until after the admissions cycle in case there's any changes (e.g. everyone they interview is rubbish so they lower the cut off score) so I'm thinking that they might not respond by email. Feel free to call yourself though!
Reply 94
Lol if the cutoff is indeed 2500 ima be so gutted I didnt apply
Reply 95
I think it's hard to believe that it would drop from the 2900 to 2500, given that Newcastle focuses heavily on ukcat and other unis like sheffield who don't put as much emphasis on ukcat have a cut off of 2600 also last year when i called admissions they said they couldn't give out information regarding cut offs, but that may not be the case this year, despite all that, it may actually be 2500
Reply 96
Original post by TCO
I think it's hard to believe that it would drop from the 2900 to 2500, given that Newcastle focuses heavily on ukcat and other unis like sheffield who don't put as much emphasis on ukcat have a cut off of 2600 also last year when i called admissions they said they couldn't give out information regarding cut offs, but that may not be the case this year, despite all that, it may actually be 2500

If it is in fact true that would mean even st georges would have a higher ukcat cut off.
I didn't apply here, but what I wanna know is...where on earth did all the people with 700+ ukcat apply then??!

Last year literally everyone with 700+ applied here I swear!
Reply 98
The cut-off is determined by the people that apply to Newcastle in any given year - it's a dynamic measurement, Newcastle haven't made a decision to "only take people with high UKCATs". If everybody with high UKCATs didn't apply, then the cut-off would be lower...
Original post by Beska
The cut-off is determined by the people that apply to Newcastle in any given year - it's a dynamic measurement, Newcastle haven't made a decision to "only take people with high UKCATs". If everybody with high UKCATs didn't apply, then the cut-off would be lower...

I know but it's crazy! As I said, I was an applicant last year, not this, but it seems as though so many people were put off by ukcat cutoff last year that it's plummeted!

It's nuts as I would have strongly advised anyone with below 650 not to apply here...shows how hard these things are to predict

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending