The Student Room Group

When Is A Good Time To Apply For A Masters?

I'm starting my last year of my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering this September 2014 and I'm planning to apply for a Masters as soon as possible so that I can start my Masters in September 2015. I know that I can start preparing this September 2014 and I can apply until September 2015 but I'm not sure when I should really apply.

Should I wait until I get my transcript for my last year or should I apply before that?

The reason for this is because I would want to show them a transcript with a good score like a first class. I have a 2:1 for my first and second year but I don't feel that it's enough. Although the overall score is a 2:1, if you look at the individual module scores, many of them are actually not that good.

These are my grades from my first year: 35, 42, 52, 54, 62, 76, 82.
These are my grades from my second year: 52, 53, 55, 59, 62, 68, 68, 69, 75.

As you can see, I have one failed module, and a lot of 50's.
Most of this is because I slacked off and I really could have gotten better scores.
I'm really planning on working hard this year and I hope I can get some scores worth showing.

So my question is, when would be a good time to apply?

I would like to have some advice from those of you who have applied for Masters.
Thank you.
Original post by piskantilia
I'm starting my last year of my Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering this September 2014 and I'm planning to apply for a Masters as soon as possible so that I can start my Masters in September 2015. I know that I can start preparing this September 2014 and I can apply until September 2015 but I'm not sure when I should really apply.

Should I wait until I get my transcript for my last year or should I apply before that?

The reason for this is because I would want to show them a transcript with a good score like a first class. I have a 2:1 for my first and second year but I don't feel that it's enough. Although the overall score is a 2:1, if you look at the individual module scores, many of them are actually not that good.

These are my grades from my first year: 35, 42, 52, 54, 62, 76, 82.
These are my grades from my second year: 52, 53, 55, 59, 62, 68, 68, 69, 75.

As you can see, I have one failed module, and a lot of 50's.
Most of this is because I slacked off and I really could have gotten better scores.
I'm really planning on working hard this year and I hope I can get some scores worth showing.

So my question is, when would be a good time to apply?

I would like to have some advice from those of you who have applied for Masters.
Thank you.

Some of the most competitive universities have closing dates (not sure when) an almost all universities have closing dates to be considered for funding- normally by March/April. So it depends on which universities you are aiming for and whether you will want to apply for very competitive university scholarships- there is no student finance for stand alone masters.

Quick Reply

Latest