Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It said in The Daily Express that the Tories have promised to abolish tuition fees if they get in.

If this is so how would it work if I am hoping to start uni this year and they win the election next year? (assuming it is next year that is)

Would my fees be cancelled and refunded or would i just pay for years two and three of my hopeful course?

Or would it all take so long to sort out that I will have been and gone at uni before they implement any such policy?

ReputationRep:
    You'd probably just carrying on paying.

Then they would start cutting uni places for prospective students.

ReputationRep:
    Do you reackon there will be less ppl applying to uni for 2006 entry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jyuk)
    Maybe, maybe not. Who knows? Who would have thought a few years ago that people would be paying hundreds of thousands of pounds for four walls and a roof?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jyuk)
    Fewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    You'd probably just carrying on paying.

Then they would start cutting uni places for prospective students.
    Suppose if depends on your classification of a "degree" and a "university".

ReputationRep:
    you pay the fee system that was applicable in the year that you joined uni. if you really dont want to pay, you could quit the uni after first year (if the tories get into power), and reapply to the same course again, thereby not having to pay TF.

ReputationRep:
    The Tories aren't stupid enough to refund peoples fees when they can simply blame Labour for student debt.

ReputationRep:
    Is it right that someone who wants a higher eduction will end up 15K-50K in debt by the time that they finish their course depending on when they start and what they do?

I am applying for Law with Poitics and the postgraduate course should I want to become a Barrister / Solicitor is about 9-10K for one year alone + living costs.

This means that if I was subject to full "top up fees" I would probably be 40K-50K in debt by the time that I start earning.

If I was two years later I would be faced with top up fees and the thought of 50K debt before I even started work in the legal profession is scarey!

In fact 50K may be a very conservative (no pun intended) 60K could be more like the true sum.

ReputationRep:
    you're lucky you're not in america, where its £20K+ a year for the top places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    YEah! And some! I was talking to one guy whose dad works for MIT so he got a free scholarship. They had to stop doing it soon after he started because it was costing too much money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Is it right that someone who wants a higher eduction will end up 15K-50K in debt by the time that they finish their course depending on when they start and what they do?

I am applying for Law with Poitics and the postgraduate course should I want to become a Barrister / Solicitor is about 9-10K for one year alone + living costs.

This means that if I was subject to full "top up fees" I would probably be 40K-50K in debt by the time that I start earning.

If I was two years later I would be faced with top up fees and the thought of 50K debt before I even started work in the legal profession is scarey!

In fact 50K may be a very conservative (no pun intended) 60K could be more like the true sum.
    Actually average expenditure is supposed to be up to £30k for three years.

In my opinion it turns a degree into an investment, and a lot of degrees are worth the returns in terms of job prospects and starting salary etc., but there are a lot of nonsense "degrees" out there that I can't understand people employing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    if you've got a middling income, you pay more like £10k pa, because you do get large scholarships. e.g. my gf's uni is $30,000 pa but she will be paying around $10,000 pa because of financial aid/merit scholarships. so it's not as unaffordable as you think.

ReputationRep:
    unlike the new system it's not going to change much... those from a poorer background will get the same financial aid as now. why do people want so much from government?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.