The Student Room Group
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website

is city university a social uni?

I already know that in terms of the courses, city is one of my main targets. I also know that london is social hub, (lived here my whole life), however i would like to know whether the people that attend city uni are generally social or not. I dont mean clubbing, just in terms of wanting to meet new people, being interactive, not staying in their own shell/ethnicity for the whole course etc.

Thanks!!!:biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by idgentles
I already know that in terms of the courses, city is one of my main targets. I also know that london is social hub, (lived here my whole life), however i would like to know whether the people that attend city uni are generally social or not. I dont mean clubbing, just in terms of wanting to meet new people, being interactive, not staying in their own shell/ethnicity for the whole course etc.

I would think so otherwise its going to be quite difficult to get to know people. I guess most of us don't want that (so let's stay positive :biggrin:).
College Building - City, University of London
City University
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Jamzy96
I would think so otherwise its going to be quite difficult to get to know people. I guess most of us don't want that (so let's stay positive :biggrin:).

Yeah I'm trying to:smile: are you going to be starting in next month or are going going into A2 now.

Also, what course?
Reply 3
Yeah I'm trying to:smile: are you going to be starting in next month or are going going into A2 now.

Also, what course?

This will be my first year and i will be studying Software EngineeringWhat about you :biggrin: ?
Reply 4
I graduated from city about a year ago. Did computer science there.

People were friendly. However I found that most of the people just gathered into groups of their ethnicity/nationality, like if someone was from russia then they would mostly hang out with other russians, that sort of thing or like form groups with people living in halls. I didn't find that many interesting societies to join and like there's muslim society, bengali society, greek society etc. and I'm neither of those so I just didn't join any. In terms of like events and stuff, I either didn't hear about them or there actually wasn't that many.

What else, you'll also get a personal tutor when you start, however I found him kinda useless like I barely met the guy and all advice he had was to refer me to somewhere else like student centre, so I just went directly to someone and forgot he existed and he forgot I existed as well.

Modules, some were really great, some were really bad like the lecturer seemed like he was in wrong place other modules were alright (because the subject was quite dry like Object oriented programming can't image someone actually making it a thrilling subject)

A lot has changed though I think since I graduated, however for 9k a year that they charge now, I don't think it's worth the money. I'd probably go somewhere else maybe even different country for uni if I had to choose again.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Jamzy96
This will be my first year and i will be studying Software EngineeringWhat about you :biggrin: ?

im just about to start A2, good luck with your course!!!
Reply 6
Original post by McMicheal
I graduated from city about a year ago. Did computer science there.

People were friendly. However I found that most of the people just gathered into groups of their ethnicity/nationality, like if someone was from russia then they would mostly hang out with other russians, that sort of thing or like form groups with people living in halls. I didn't find that many interesting societies to join and like there's muslim society, bengali society, greek society etc. and I'm neither of those so I just didn't join any. In terms of like events and stuff, I either didn't hear about them or there actually wasn't that many.

What else, you'll also get a personal tutor when you start, however I found him kinda useless like I barely met the guy and all advice he had was to refer me to somewhere else like student centre, so I just went directly to someone and forgot he existed and he forgot I existed as well.

Modules, some were really great, some were really bad like the lecturer seemed like he was in wrong place other modules were alright (because the subject was quite dry like Object oriented programming can't image someone actually making it a thrilling subject)

A lot has changed though I think since I graduated, however for 9k a year that they charge now, I don't think it's worth the money. I'd probably go somewhere else maybe even different country for uni if I had to choose again.

interesting, sorry to hear about the problems that you had there. Did you manage to have a diverse group of friends?
Original post by Jamzy96

Finally someone else studying Software Engineering! I've only found one other person on our course so far haha
Reply 8
interesting, sorry to hear about the problems that you had there. Did you manage to have a diverse group of friends?

Yeah, had a few uni friends. However eventually I ended up spending most of my time with friends I had from outside of uni, like from work and had a girlfriend for a while, later during uni.

I'd say maybe it'll be different for you, if you find some societies to join or join some sports team or maybe you'll be living in halls, so who knows.
Reply 9
Yeah, had a few uni friends. However eventually I ended up spending most of my time with friends I had from outside of uni, like from work and had a girlfriend for a while, later during uni.

I'd say maybe it'll be different for you, if you find some societies to join or join some sports team or maybe you'll be living in halls, so who knows.

cool, thanks for the info. sorry to be asking so many questions but did you know anyone from Cass? if yes, how did they find it?
cool, thanks for the info. sorry to be asking so many questions but did you know anyone from Cass? if yes, how did they find it?

It's quite alright, fire away if you have more.

I didn't get to know anyone from Cass that well, so I'm afraid I can't answer that one. My impression of Cass is that it's way better than other schools in City for some reason.

There's a thread over here about Cass if you're interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834667

Also whenever watching uni ads I think of this video from collegehumor:
[video="youtube;hbsdlSpA2GU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsdlSpA2GU[/video]
Reply 11
It's quite alright, fire away if you have more.

I didn't get to know anyone from Cass that well, so I'm afraid I can't answer that one. My impression of Cass is that it's way better than other schools in City for some reason.

There's a thread over here about Cass if you're interested:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1834667

Also whenever watching uni ads I think of this video from collegehumor:
[video="youtube;hbsdlSpA2GU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsdlSpA2GU[/video]

thanks:smile:. I've actually already looked through that tread. I am convinced that cass is offering what i want from univeristy in terms of the courses. It has unique courses that other top10 unis dont do. Its just the social aspect that i am uncertain of. I plan to stay in halls. The thing i love about london is that it's international. hoping that people are willing to diversify their social groups. if not, it would really ruin this uni for me:frown:
thanks:smile:. I've actually already looked through that tread. I am convinced that cass is offering what i want from univeristy in terms of the courses. It has unique courses that other top10 unis dont do. Its just the social aspect that i am uncertain of. I plan to stay in halls. The thing i love about london is that it's international. hoping that people are willing to diversify their social groups. if not, it would really ruin this uni for me:frown:

Some definitely are willing to do that, but people from different countries tend to be drawn to people from same countries, because it's like you instantly have something in common with them and know something about them. It's not to say that they distance themselves completely from everyone else though and not everyone does that.

Courses are great and all, grades are definitely important but you have to have something else other than the 27k piece of paper if you want to get good job after uni, so focus from the first year so you could get a placement, or do something like learn language, participate in some business, definitely enter that yearly 1k competition if you can get a team together. And good luck! Work hard and play hard as they say.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by AlucardVoss
Finally someone else studying Software Engineering! I've only found one other person on our course so far haha

Nice!:banana2: your the first haha i was beginning to think classes we're going to be small but i guess most of the others dont use this forum lol.
Reply 14
im just about to start A2, good luck with your course!!!

Cheers and good luck with your A2 Exams!

Trust me, it is.

To-be City Uni student.

Sent from my iPhone
Reply 16
Original post by Sidhant Shivram
Trust me, it is.

To-be City Uni student.

Sent from my iPhone

cool, city is prob gonna be my back up uni now that ive done some research. I think I saw you on another thread,you're aiming for AS right? what kind of stuff do you enjoy doing socially? :smile: :smile: :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending