The Student Room Group

Has anyone got into a Science related degree with no relevant quals?

Holaaaaaaaa!

I'm interested in studying a Biology or Pharmacy related course, and hoping to get one via clearing. However, I've no A Levels in Science related topics-but Business! I'm wondering if anyone has got into a similar course without relevant A Levels!??!?
Lots of universities offer science/biology based foundation years which may be suitable for someone without science A-levels to then progress onto a BSc. You can normally get funding for a foundation year through SFE, and your student experience will be similar to a first year undergraduate. Foundation years are often available in clearing, but can be very popular with those who got worse A-levels than expected, so start looking ASAP.

It's very unlikely that you'd be allowed onto the first year of an undergraduate degree without relevant qualifications or possibly relevant work experience. Most undergraduate degrees will assume a certain level of knowledge from day 1, which it's unlikely you'll have if you haven't studied science A-levels. They'll also expect some knowledge of scientific method and understanding of how to run an experiment at a more detailed level than most people learn at GCSE. Many assume some knowledge of statistics and practical skills which you also may not have covered at GCSE. Universities don't like to set people up to fail, so they're unlikely to let you onto a course they think you'll be behind on from day 1.
Behind everything Slowloris says. If your A levels are some time in the past and you qualify, then an access course would be worth looking into.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending