The Student Room Group

University social life with RP (eye condition)

I am someone who, unfortunately, has a degenerative eye condition called retinitis pigmentosia, which basically means I have very poor vision in dark conditions, such as just walking home on even a reasonably lit street at night, or in somewhere dark such as a club, or even pubs; crowds of people make it even worse, as the eye condition also means I don't have great peripheral vision, and tend to bump into people! (in the past, I've even tripped over people who have just been sitting down in a brightly lit corridor!)

This is making me a bit worried I may miss out on some of the social events, particularly in Fresher's week, and that I may find it harder to make friends as a result, something that seems quite an important part of Uni life! So, was just wondering whether you fine folk had any advice, and whether this really will be an issue for me?

Honestly, freshers week events are not the time most people make their closest friends. Yes, you can meet lots of people, but there are also often daytime activities where you can do this. Most people make their best friends on their course, as you do spend a lot of time together, and often have shared interests.

A good idea in order to meet people would be to join a society or two which interest you- preferably those based around some kind of activity, rather than just a subject area. If you're doing an activity you enjoy with other people around, you'll have lots of chances to make friends. Lots of societies are happy to accept people with no prior experience of a sport or whatever, especially if it's something not many people will have had the chance to try.

As you meet people, I'm sure you'll find people who are happy to walk home with you after dark.

Is the university aware of this condition? Sometimes lecture rooms can be quite badly lit (or some lecturers put the lights out to make the screen easier to see). Also, last year I had lectures which finished at 6, which in the winter meant going home in the dark sometimes. It would be a good idea to make the relevant people aware if they aren't already.
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Is the university aware of this condition? Sometimes lecture rooms can be quite badly lit (or some lecturers put the lights out to make the screen easier to see). Also, last year I had lectures which finished at 6, which in the winter meant going home in the dark sometimes. It would be a good idea to make the relevant people aware if they aren't already.

Definitely agree with this - the Disability Support Office will be the department to talk to (sometimes it will be called something slightly different, but you'll be able to find it!) as they will be able to help put reasonable adjustments in place + help you apply for Disabled Students' Allowance
Reply 3
Honestly, freshers week events are not the time most people make their closest friends. Yes, you can meet lots of people, but there are also often daytime activities where you can do this. Most people make their best friends on their course, as you do spend a lot of time together, and often have shared interests.

A good idea in order to meet people would be to join a society or two which interest you- preferably those based around some kind of activity, rather than just a subject area. If you're doing an activity you enjoy with other people around, you'll have lots of chances to make friends. Lots of societies are happy to accept people with no prior experience of a sport or whatever, especially if it's something not many people will have had the chance to try.

As you meet people, I'm sure you'll find people who are happy to walk home with you after dark.

Thanks, that is encouraging to hear. It hadn't really occurred to me about lecture rooms, and whatnot. So long as it's just staying in one place, it's generally not too bad, so I guess I'll wait and see, and consider talking to the relevant people if it is a problem.

Original post by Origami Bullets
Definitely agree with this - the Disability Support Office will be the department to talk to (sometimes it will be called something slightly different, but you'll be able to find it!) as they will be able to help put reasonable adjustments in place + help you apply for Disabled Students' Allowance

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by ChrisC177
Thanks, that is encouraging to hear. It hadn't really occurred to me about lecture rooms, and whatnot. So long as it's just staying in one place, it's generally not too bad, so I guess I'll wait and see, and consider talking to the relevant people if it is a problem.

Thanks for the advice :smile:

I would advise you to contact the relevant people ASAP. There won't be any stigma attached, and there is usually lots of help available (including financial) for students with disabilities/issues at university. If you let them know now, they might be able to make sure most/all of your lectures are in well lit rooms, whereas later on in the term, room changes are unlikely to be possible.

However, I do think you won't have any problems making friends. At university level, there are lots of people around, so you should be able to find some you click with!
Reply 5
I would advise you to contact the relevant people ASAP. There won't be any stigma attached, and there is usually lots of help available (including financial) for students with disabilities/issues at university. If you let them know now, they might be able to make sure most/all of your lectures are in well lit rooms, whereas later on in the term, room changes are unlikely to be possible.

However, I do think you won't have any problems making friends. At university level, there are lots of people around, so you should be able to find some you click with!

Haha, thanks, that is very reassuring!

Haha, thanks, that is very reassuring!

Good luck with everything :smile:
Reply 7
this won't affect it at all?? whut

if anything it'll just be a good talking point for some banter, but anyway most people fall over in clubs and crap because well.. alcohol
Reply 8
Original post by Joshale
this won't affect it at all?? whut

if anything it'll just be a good talking point for some banter, but anyway most people fall over in clubs and crap because well.. alcohol

It's less a case of falling over, and more the problem of not being able to see where anyone actually is, and then just wandering aimlessly in the dark, hoping somebody takes pity on me (this is speaking from past experience), then ending up feeling like a burden to other people. But yeah, when I'm familiar with people it is something that we all just laugh about
Reply 9
It's less a case of falling over, and more the problem of not being able to see where anyone actually is, and then just wandering aimlessly in the dark, hoping somebody takes pity on me (this is speaking from past experience), then ending up feeling like a burden to other people. But yeah, when I'm familiar with people it is something that we all just laugh about

Just hold onto people, went to festival other day and making our way to the front we just held onto each other, I'm sure they'll let you hold onto them when you're out or something

Quick Reply