The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
piginapoke
And that's exactly what I would do if I was wearing them, pull them off. Mind, I reckon I could make them work with my pink snakeskin shoes.

Totally playa dude! :cool:

<under breath> So gay... :biggrin:

More celebrating later in the day, keep the flag flying! And why the hell ain't this thread stuck yet!
Reply 21
:smile: http://images.google.co.uk/images?q=tbn:OAoM6IkHjXEJ:www.crwflags.com/art/countries2/england.gif:smile:

And Happy Birthday Shakespeare!! (but not really that happy because he died on the same date too!)
Reply 22
Since I posted this a different st george's thread (that I was unaware of) has been made into a sticky. Just wanted to say that to try and make myself look a bit less stupid! It hasn't worked has it?! Oh well. :redface:

St. George is brill and deserves 2 threads!!
HAPPY ST. GEORGE'S DAY AGAIN!!!

Mods - feel free to delete this thread, it's making me look like a bit of a loser!:redface:
Heyyy! I just gave out 100 flyers in 3 hours and only three that I know of have been thrown away...even though I found out it was redundant because some stupid kestrel decided to nest on it and has had babies so to remove it now would be illegal...

and now I have to get ready to go back to work at 12 to do a lunch, at least it's a St. George's day lunch...
Everyone knows St George was actually egyptian, right?
I don't see why we celebrate St Georges day to be honest.
Reply 25
:confused: what the holy freakin hell is st georges day?

Does this mean we can listen to the sex pistols?

E m I !!!!
Iluvatar
Everyone knows St George was actually egyptian, right?
I don't see why we celebrate St Georges day to be honest.
Palestinian.

Why is it SO BAD to be patriotic?!

I'm proud to be English and I feel insulted that we've lost our sense of national identity.

I just saw a vote about it and 93% said more people should be patriotic, it's called having a sense of identity.

And St George is important to me, he's the namesake of my grandad, my mother and myself.

And if you don't like it go live in Scotland or something
snark
:confused: what the holy freakin hell is st georges day?

Does this mean we can listen to the sex pistols?

E m I !!!!
St.George's day for those with a severe intellect deficency is the day we celebrate the Saint of England ie. St George.

And yes you may listen to the Sex Pistols, but only God Save The Queen
Danithestudent
Palestinian.

Why is it SO BAD to be patriotic?!

I'm proud to be English and I feel insulted that we've lost our sense of national identity.

I just saw a vote about it and 93% said more people should be patriotic, it's called having a sense of identity.

And St George is important to me, he's the namesake of my grandad, my mother and myself.

And if you don't like it go live in Scotland or something

I dont have a problem with patriotism, but i don't see St George as a symbol of this country's national identity.

But i wouldn't move to scotland, whatever happened!
Iluvatar
I dont have a problem with patriotism, but i don't see St George as a symbol of this country's national identity.

But i wouldn't move to scotland, whatever happened!

There is a reason for it, I just don't know...I shall go and find out
Reply 30
Iluvatar
i don't see St George as a symbol of this country's national identity.
Well, you should! HAPPY ST. GEORGE'S DAY!
Reply 31
they speak funny in scotland
snark
they speak funny in scotland

i think its increadbly sexy
HERE WE GO!!!

St. George, so the story goes, killed a dragon on the flat topped Dragon Hill in Uffington, Berkshire, and it is said that no grass grows where the dragon’s blood trickled down!

It was probably the 12th century Crusaders however who first invoked his name as an aid in battle.

King Edward III made him the Patron Saint of England when he formed the Order of the Garter in St. George's name in 1350, and the cult of the Saint was further advanced by King Henry V, at the battle of Agincourt in northern France.

Shakespeare made sure that nobody would forget St. George, and has King Henry V finishing his pre-battle speech with the famous phrase, ‘Cry God for Harry, England and St. George!’

King Henry himself, who was both warlike and devout, was thought by his followers to possess many of the saint’s characteristics.

And just to prove it a nice little song I was taught as a kid

"The English, The English, The English are best! I wouldn't give a tuppence for all of the rest!"
Danithestudent
HERE WE GO!!!

St. George, so the story goes, killed a dragon on the flat topped Dragon Hill in Uffington, Berkshire, and it is said that no grass grows where the dragon’s blood trickled down!

It was probably the 12th century Crusaders however who first invoked his name as an aid in battle.

King Edward III made him the Patron Saint of England when he formed the Order of the Garter in St. George's name in 1350, and the cult of the Saint was further advanced by King Henry V, at the battle of Agincourt in northern France.

Shakespeare made sure that nobody would forget St. George, and has King Henry V finishing his pre-battle speech with the famous phrase, ‘Cry God for Harry, England and St. George!’

King Henry himself, who was both warlike and devout, was thought by his followers to possess many of the saint’s characteristics.

But the national identity should be something current, something that we can identify with, not something from so far back in history.
At least, in my opinion.
Reply 36
Danithestudent
And just to prove it a nice little song I was taught as a kid

"The English, The English, The English are best! I wouldn't give a tuppence for all of the rest!"
Careful Dani, you might be accused of being racist in a minute!:rolleyes:
:smile: Happy St. George's Day to you!:smile:
Amb1
Careful Dani, you might be accused of being racist in a minute!:rolleyes:
:smile: Happy St. George's Day to you!:smile:

*Rolls eyes*
Oh no where are they?!?!?

*gets out her PC whacking stick*
Reply 38
Iluvatar
But the national identity should be something current, something that we can identify with, not something from so far back in history.
At least, in my opinion.
It also needs to include the reasons why we are still here and why England is so great. National identity should also be about pride in our history and respect for those who fought for us.
Amb1
It also needs to include the reasons why we are still here and why England is so great. National identity should also be about pride in our history.

Besides how long ago did St.David, St.Andrew and St. Patrick live?

Latest

Trending

Trending