The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
yawn1
Why thank you kind sir!

I am waiting for a response from someone who may have said that God does not exist, therefore saints don't exist - so obviously they would have no interest in celebrating St. George's Day as that would be hypocritical, would it not?

I'd never really considered that but strictly speaking I suppose you're right.

However it does strike me that patron saints days are the days we celebrate a country rather than a man. For example I'm sure most Irish people celebrate their Ireland and Irish heritage on St.Patrick's day rather than dwell on St.Patrick himself.

Saint's days are really therefore more nationalistic than religious are they not?
Reply 101
Howard
I'd never really considered that but strictly speaking I suppose you're right.

However it does strike me that patron saints days are the days we celebrate a country rather than a man. For example I'm sure most Irish people celebrate their Ireland and Irish heritage on St.Patrick's day rather than dwell on St.Patrick himself.

Saint's days are really therefore more nationalistic than religious are they not?

Yes, you're right about that to a certain extent although there is the case where people do celebrate saints days for reasons other than nationality. I am thinking of those saints whom one would be named after e.g. St. Howard etc.

Irish people do also celebrate St. Patricks Day for the sake of St. Patrick - there is a hymn named after him, and people go to church on his feast day, even if they live abroad. I think the reason why St. Patricks day is so well known all around the world because of the spread of the Irish people round the world.
Today, with the focus on St. George's Day, it does all seem a little forced. There seems to be little spontaneous celebration, rather the media wearing their roses in their buttonholes and showing film clips of Morris Dancers! Only thing really real about it is the issue of the new England 'Away' soccer shirt :smile:
Reply 102
piginapoke
Perhaps that's because not many people take a real pride in being English?

I can't see why an English person wouldn't be proud to be English. Whatever about it's history, your nationality is what makes you what you are.

I think most people are proud of their nationality and so they should be!
Reply 103
yawn1
Yes, you're right about that to a certain extent although there is the case where people do celebrate saints days for reasons other than nationality. I am thinking of those saints whom one would be named after e.g. St. Howard etc.

Irish people do also celebrate St. Patricks Day for the sake of St. Patrick - there is a hymn named after him, and people go to church on his feast day, even if they live abroad. I think the reason why St. Patricks day is so well known all around the world because of the spread of the Irish people round the world.
Today, with the focus on St. George's Day, it does all seem a little forced. There seems to be little spontaneous celebration, rather the media wearing their roses in their buttonholes and showing film clips of Morris Dancers! Only thing really real about it is the issue of the new England 'Away' soccer shirt :smile:

"Howard the Good" I like it.
Reply 104
yawn1
I can't see why an English person wouldn't be proud to be English. Whatever about it's history, your nationality is what makes you what you are.

I think most people are proud of their nationality and so they should be!

I'm proud of our history as well.
Reply 105
piginapoke
Actually, its probably just in comparison to the Irish. For whatever reason, Ireland and the Irish is/are seen to be 'cool' in some way; just look at what it means to say you're from Ireland in America. Saying you're English over there just doesn't have the same ring.

That's true actually. I told everyone at work today it was St.George's day and they'd never heard of it. Yet last month they were all dressed in amusing shamrock hats. :rolleyes:
Reply 106
piginapoke
Actually, its probably just in comparison to the Irish. For whatever reason, Ireland and the Irish is/are seen to be 'cool' in some way; just look at what it means to say you're from Ireland in America. Saying you're English over there just doesn't have the same ring.

It's not so long ago (prior to the peace process) that the Irish in Britain were called all sorts of derogatory names and they were seen as far from 'cool'.

Now fortunately that is all behind us and they are our good friends as well as being 'cool'!! I think that impression stems from their relaxed attitude to life - something we could all do with developing imo.
Reply 107
what i like about england-

-the tolerance (although it doesnt seem like it but we can be a pretty tolerant nation)
-the rural areas as I bike to school
-the rain
-the timidity
-glastonbury
-that I'm able to say pretty much anything to pretty much anyone without being locked up
Reply 108
Happy St George's day.. :smile:
Down with scallies..(if i've spelt it correctly)
I hate the way the flag has been hijacked by the far right. There is much to be proud of about England, but not really all the 'Little Englander' stereotypes.

I don't think that St. George's day has much significance to me. Yeah, I'm English, but I'm not religious, and I don't believe that some bloke ages ago slayed a mythical creature.

I went right through the thread, but no-one else mentioned this, so, in case anyone is interested, as well as England, St. George is the patron saint of: Aragon, Catalonia, Georgia, Lithuania, Palestine, Portugal, Germany and Greece; and of Moscow, Istanbul, Genoa and Venice (second to St Mark). He’s also patron saint of soldiers, archers, cavalry and chivalry, farmers and field workers, riders and saddlers, and he helps those suffering from leprosy, plague, herpes and syphilis.
piginapoke
He'll do for me!

I've been pointing out the syphilis/herpes bit to people going over-crazy about St Georges.

Though I think they were more disgusted by him being the patron saint of Germany.
Reply 111
I read somewhere that St. George has been patron saint of England since the 16th century.

Prior to that - from the 9th century it was St. Edmund, King of the East Angles.
Reply 112
Howard
That's true actually. I told everyone at work today it was St.George's day and they'd never heard of it. Yet last month they were all dressed in amusing shamrock hats. :rolleyes:

pity- england has history and a culture as well :frown: tis like most people are embarrased to be english
Reply 113
ack, im proud to be english.

3 Brits die each year testing if a 9v battery works on their tongue.

142 Brits were injured in 1999 by not removing all pins from new shirts.

58 Brits are injured each year by using sharp knives instead of
screwdrivers.

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the
fairy lights were plugged in.
Reply 114
piginapoke
Isn't that just part of English culture then, to be embarassed about being English? We should celebrate it then, maybe even poke fun at ourselves.

do we ever do anything else?
Reply 115
Well the day of England was over half an hour ago, hope you had a good one! I know I did. They should do this again next year...
wot I like about england:
-nothing

lol i hope it doesnt offend any1
tammypotato
wot I like about england:
-nothing

lol i hope it doesnt offend any1

i gt 200 posts
Reply 118
Baron

31 Brits have died since 1996 by watering their Christmas tree while the
fairy lights were plugged in.