Have you seen this stupid Better Together Video? #PatronisingBTlady Watch

clinkers56
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago

The video is stupid and just shows how desperate project fear is.

Some people have found it to be offensive as described by the Guardian

here

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/...?commentpage=1

what does TSR think about it?
Jackoclypse
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Seemed ok, what is the problem?
clinkers56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Jackoclypse)
Seemed ok, what is the problem?
1 have you heard how patronizing she is?
2 it is meant to encourage undecided female voters and from the way it's put it seems to make fun of female voters more than anything ( I am not female and I can clearly see this)
3 It just seems a bit desperate.
Jackoclypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by clinkers56)
1 have you heard how patronizing she is?
2 it is meant to encourage undecided female voters and from the way it's put it seems to make fun of female voters more than anything ( I am not female and I can clearly see this)
3 It just seems a bit desperate.
she didn't come across patronizing to me. And there is nothing wrong appealing to female voters is there?
Wee.Guy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by clinkers56)

nothing wrong with the video.

by any chance are you a Yes voter?:wink2:
Swanbow
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Absolutely abysmal advert for the No campaign. Could have put it a lot better, I mean seriously 'the man from the telly'? How insulting, they try to connect with the working mother by displaying her as ignorant. This lady didn't come to an informed decision at all, she just didn't understand the issues very well and somehow came to the conclusion to vote no. The Better Together campaign might have well just said 'Confused about the referendum? Vote no!', which is what this video basically was.

Politicians just think we are all idiots, unable to grasp the concepts they are discussing or the policies they wish to implement, and they always try to over-simply the issue which quite frankly I find insulting. This advert is almost as bad the one from the AV referendum, implying that electoral systems are akin to a horse race.
clinkers56
Rep:
?
(Original post by Swanbow)
Absolutely abysmal advert for the No campaign. Could have put it a lot better, I mean seriously 'the man from the telly'? How insulting, they try to connect with the working mother by displaying her as ignorant. This lady didn't come to an informed decision at all, she just didn't understand the issues very well and somehow came to the conclusion to vote no. The Better Together campaign might have well just said 'Confused about the referendum? Vote no!', which is what this video basically was.

Politicians just think we are all idiots, unable to grasp the concepts they are discussing or the policies they wish to implement, and they always try to over-simply the issue which quite frankly I find insulting. This advert is almost as bad the one from the AV referendum, implying that electoral systems are akin to a horse race.

Well put. :cool:
Skunk
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Didn't seem patronising but definitely trying to spread fear.
student1462
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You guys should check out this subtitled version of the video, it is hilarious but it also clearly shows its obvious and horrible flaws.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=759513240776856
student1462
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wee.Guy)
nothing wrong with the video.

by any chance are you a Yes voter?:wink2:

Nothing wrong with the video?!! Are you, by any chance, a male No voter?
Wee.Guy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by student1462)

nope :teehee:
Wee.Guy
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

but what is wrong with it in your opinion?
tomfailinghelp
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Does seem like a massive lot of fuss over nothing. I don't personally see how she's patronising at all really.

For or me probably the most substantial criticism is that it's sexist, but I still think that's rather a leap. Many voters are female, many have children, and a husband, many are worried about their future. Is No wrong to pick up on this? Just using the image of a typical woman isn't sexist. I can imagine that if they used anything other than this they'd be accused of tokenism.

Also, this is embarrassing? What about... http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/loc...rling-1.544899
student1462
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Wee.Guy)
but what is wrong with it in your opinion?
Well, apologies for the assumption but I find it amazing how anyone couldn't see how awful the video is.
Firstly, it is sexist. It is clearly trying to appeal to the average woman, the busy mother but there is nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is that they paint her as being ignorant- suggesting that the average woman does not care about politics- I mean, come on, she doesn't even know who the First Minister is! She talks about her husband's interest in politics with clear boredom and disinterest.
He asks her a serious question: 'Have you made your decision yet?'
She says 'It's too early for politics, eat your cereal.'
She then makes fun of his attempt to engage the children in conversation about politics because she assumes they won't be interested either. She doesn't see a point in educating them. Perhaps because she isn't educated in it herself.
She keeps talking about how she doesn't have time and says a couple of things she does know about the politics -which aren't correct, may I add-and then all of a sudden decides she's voting no, without even researching to make an informed decision. She is basically saying: I don't have time to think so I'll just vote no.
Jackoclypse
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well, apologies for the assumption but I find it amazing how anyone couldn't see how awful the video is.
Firstly, it is sexist. It is clearly trying to appeal to the average woman, the busy mother but there is nothing wrong with that. What's wrong is that they paint her as being ignorant- suggesting that the average woman does not care about politics- I mean, come on, she doesn't even know who the First Minister is! She talks about her husband's interest in politics with clear boredom and disinterest.
She then makes fun of his attempt to engage the children in conversation about politics because she assumes they won't be interested either. She doesn't see a point in educating them. Perhaps because she isn't educated in it herself.
She keeps talking about how she doesn't have time and says a couple of things she does know about the politics -which aren't correct, may I add-and then all of a sudden decides she's voting no, without even researching to make an informed decision. She is basically saying: I don't have time to think so I'll just vote no.
Why does it have to be sexist can't it just be how a certain woman might react? Just because things people do fit a stereotype doesn't make it automatically sexist to show. Also I'm pretty sure she knew who the first minister's name people just say that guy off the TV.

I think the point of the advert is to that women in her position can identify with her and they won't be thinking "OMG A WOMAN TALKING ABOUT HER CHILDREN THAT'S SO SEXIST".
Phoebe Buffay
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It's a bit rich of people in the yes camp to say this is patronising. All across the internet you come across these so-called 'cyber-nats' who are probably some of the most patronising people I've seen. You can't cite a fact without being labelled a fear-monger. I just really wish Scotland would vote yes.
PythianLegume
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Given the rate of turn-out for elections, she's probably quite representative. :teehee:
tomfailinghelp
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
She's not though, she spends her personal time thinking about it. She has a busy life. If it were any different they'd be accused of portraying her as a lazy housewife, which is also sexist!

Besides, I think you'll find that most people in modern democracies do tend to know ****-all about politics. Do you think the average person knows any substantial facts about independence? Because if you do you're wrong. Mostly it's just a shouting match of 'WHAT ABOUT CURRENCY?' Versus 'BUT MUH PRIDE' where no-one listens to reasoning.
Jordooooom
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can't believe idiots are actually attempting to defend this. Since when is having a 'busy life' any excuse to be so ignorant?

From the reactions I've seen, people on both sides of the debate and especially women are either angry or laughing at this ridiculous video.

It portrays women as naive and ignorant on political issues by showing a woman deciding to vote no after a few minutes reflection, having conducted no vital research or spoke to any friends or family on this massive decision which will impact her future generations. Not to mention she apparently doesn't even know the name of her own countries first minister :rofl:

You'd think that better together are actually attempting to sabotage themselves.
Mackay
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Swanbow)

Seconded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24.34%
No (317)
75.66%

Watched Threads