Note Taking Applications at University

Watch this thread
username1066741
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I don't know whether this should be in this section or in the technology section, so I'll just put it here...

I've read people recommending programmes such as Evernote and Onenote, does anyone actually use them? Are they worth it? If so which is better for student life?

I'm going to study mechanical engineering, if that makes a difference? Thanks!
Nymthae
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I did try to use something like that at some point (OneNote I think actually), but I just found it a bit of a faff - it's quicker to put down what I needed to put down on paper, because equation formatting etc. tends to take up a bit of time. Then, i'm never happy with the presentation, and so on.

I think for first year/now, just leave it and see if you feel you need it (try it half way through or something). I get the impression it's better for essay-based tasks, as it's dead easy to jot down ideas and tasks, but I imagine half of your modules will be heavily maths based, so not quite sure how good it would be. If/when you start doing projects it may be useful as you can get everything together then - not necessarily the project content, but just the organisational aspects.

I don't feel like my life is missing it
captaincabinets
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
don't really seem much point of using anything other than pen/paper, especially for mech eng where presumably you'd be taking down maths/diagrams etc.
GoingToBurst
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I tried to do everything electronically when I first started and it lasted like, a week and a half. Electronic note taking just does not work well unless your course is purely written word. Jotting down equations and graphs is 100x quicker on a notepad than it is to format on a laptop or something.
simpletech668
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
I'm not going to Uni this year but I've been planning on my Uni stuff for a long time. I don't even know if I'll get into Uni in the first place but anyway.
I was thinking of going absolutely paperless. I plan on doing a CompSci degree and the whole paperless thing appealed to me. I realise it will cost a lot but I think I have sorted it out....sorta.

I'm planning on buying the Surface Pro 3 or the iPad. The SP3 because it comes with a stylus, which is perfect for writing notes down on the tablet. it will mean I won't have to buy a laptop with it because it can run full windows applications which will be useful for coding etc.
The iPad will be used in the same way but I am yet to find a stylus which has a fine point like the SP3 stylus rather than the large, generic rubber tips ones. But taking the iPad will mean that I would need a laptop as well to code as there aren't really apps for coding on the iPad. Things like codeblocks and visual studio aren't available.

I'll be taking some paper and pens but i want to see how I manage without using paper, because the one thing I have learnt is that writing a **** ton of notes on paper for a level makes my desk really messy and I can't study properly.

What do you think? Obviously I'm not really desperate because I still have another year till Uni!
username1066741
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Thanks for all your advice, I'll probably just use pen and paper as it is better for equations, diagrams, graphs, etc. I might scan them in and use one to collate my notes however if I end up being really dis-organised
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (58)
65.91%
No (23)
26.14%
I didn't use it to prepare (7)
7.95%

Watched Threads