The Student Room Group

I've never felt so alone

I'm going to uni next month and everyone at uni says that 'the best three years of my life await me', but I'm seriously unsure about the point in anything anymore. I've got no friends, my family don't like me - I've always been treated like a third class citizen by them compared to everyone else and I've got no money whatsoever saved for uni. I feel so alone now and am so scared for the future, why does no one like me? I just feel like giving up on uni and on all of my dreams, I got A*AAB in my A Levels and have an unconditional from a good RG uni next month but im so scared and don't see the point anymore, who could succeed at uni without friends or family?
You will make millions of friends. Everyone will be in a similar situation, don't worry!
Reply 2
Original post by StarvingAutist
You will make millions of friends. Everyone will be in a similar situation, don't worry!

I'm just scared because they'll have friends and family back at home, whereas I'll have no one and nothing. Is it possible to start uni with no money whatsoever, I'm desperate to find some job but there's absolutely nothing around where I live and I go in a month. :frown:
Hey buddy. I know how you feel because I was in a similar position last year when I started uni. I'm not exactly social or popular, but even I've made some good friends by joining societies. Join societies, sign up for a sport and relax. Be nice to people, but don't come across as needy.

As for the money, can't you get any additional financial support e.g. grants?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm just scared because they'll have friends and family back at home, whereas I'll have no one and nothing. Is it possible to start uni with no money whatsoever, I'm desperate to find some job but there's absolutely nothing around where I live and I go in a month. :frown:

You mention 4 things in your post, I didn't have any of them when I started uni and I did alright :smile: Think of it this way - surely one of the main reasons you are moving away from uni is to get away from problems like that?

In the 3 years they've known me none of my friends have met my family, my Facebook was only made for uni and i've mentioned virtually nothing about my 'pre uni' life. I stayed here every holiday and i've remained here after graduation. This does result in all kinds of jokes about how I didn't have a childhood, how i'm such a mysterious person etc but it's all in good humour. At least it makes me unique.
The whole point of uni is to start from scratch and make new friends.
Original post by cole-slaw
The whole point of uni is to start from scratch and make new friends.

i think the whole point of uni is to learn actually. :wink: social life second.
Original post by insertwittyname.
i think the whole point of uni is to learn actually. :wink: social life second.

There are many and diverse methods of learning my son.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending