Do you have any experiences, good or bad, of the OIAHE?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
RichofYork
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Original post deleted by user.
Paul.Tereszczak
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by RichofYork)
For those who do not know, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIAHE) acts as an external body for student complaints when the student has exhausted all internal procedures. If you have had to make a complaint to the OIAHE about your university, please tell us about your experiences, good or bad, so that we can determine whether this external body is fulfiling the purpose for which it was set up.

Thanks
I have just been told that my complaint is 'not justified' after over 13 months waiting! The most upsetting part is the way that the OIAHE is biased towards the University (of Edge Hill). The final report favours them in every way and believes their story if it conflicts with what I say. I shall be writing to my MP and the press but I don't suppose that it will do any good.
Megajules
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Paul.Tereszczak)
I have just been told that my complaint is 'not justified' after over 13 months waiting! The most upsetting part is the way that the OIAHE is biased towards the University (of Edge Hill). The final report favours them in every way and believes their story if it conflicts with what I say. I shall be writing to my MP and the press but I don't suppose that it will do any good.
Paul, get in touch, we are a private support group on Facebook called Friends United Opposed to the Corrupt OIA.
Silver Arrow
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm still waiting for a response. I was promised on 2 weeks ago, but nothing yet and now they say it's the 15th of October that it'll come.

A complete ****ing waste of time (it's been a whole year) and i just know they'll give a negative response.
Megajules
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Silver Arrow)
I'm still waiting for a response. I was promised on 2 weeks ago, but nothing yet and now they say it's the 15th of October that it'll come.

A complete ****ing waste of time (it's been a whole year) and i just know they'll give a negative response.
See my post above...get in touch! The more the merrier!
gloriainexcelsis
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Megajules)
Paul, get in touch, we are a private support group on Facebook called Friends United Opposed to the Corrupt OIA.
Thanks good to know
SYAA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RichofYork)
For those who do not know, the Office of the Independent Adjudicator for Higher Education (OIAHE) acts as an external body for student complaints when the student has exhausted all internal procedures. If you have had to make a complaint to the OIAHE about your university, please tell us about your experiences, good or bad, so that we can determine whether this external body is fulfiling the purpose for which it was set up.

Thanks
I have had a bad experience with OIAHE. I had cause to submit a complaint about the University I was studying at. I submitted my compliant and was told I missed the deadline. I didn't accept this as I had mitigating circumstances. They then accepted this and my compliant was submitted. I was asked to wait until my case was appointed to a case worker. I waited for months on end and the reply I received was that my complaint was out of time!
If this is indeed the case then surely they would not have accepted the mitigating circumstances and allowed the complaint to be submitted. Can they use this as a reason to reject my complaint?
SYAA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by gloriainexcelsis)
Thanks good to know
I have contacted Match Solicitors to ask for advice after the OIAHE rejected my compliant, stating it was out of time. However, at the time they accepted the Mit Circs for this so how can this be an issue.
I will post more once I here further from Match Solicitors. SYAA
Micha3l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SYAA)
I have contacted Match Solicitors to ask for advice after the OIAHE rejected my compliant, stating it was out of time. However, at the time they accepted the Mit Circs for this so how can this be an issue.
hey, keep us posted what match solicitors tell you.
in my view, if they have accepted your complaint then it means you complaint was eligible for review. If they have carried out a review, i would say it not open for them to decide that it is out of time. they have to find out whether it's "justified". "not justified" or "partly justified"

I know that the OIA is **** but there is no better organisation to resolve complaints...
SYAA
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Micha3l)
hey, keep us posted what match solicitors tell you.
in my view, if they have accepted your complaint then it means you complaint was eligible for review. If they have carried out a review, i would say it not open for them to decide that it is out of time. they have to find out whether it's "justified". "not justified" or "partly justified"

I know that the OIA is **** but there is no better organisation to resolve complaints...
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to challenge the decision and have sought further clarification from the OIAHE. I know you say the OIA is the best place to resolve complaints, but I simply cannot see how they are impartial. They invite students to go through the complaints process. This is time consuming and very stressful. in my case the University has questionable teaching methods. I had cause to complain and went through the University's own complaints procedure. When this was exhausted I approached the OIAHE and I was told that I had sufficient grounds to complain. I feel as I though I've just been put through the motions and that the result is a forgone conclusion.
I'll keep you informed of the outcome.
Klix88
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The major problem with the OIA, is that it has no teeth. Even when students win their cases, the OIA has no power to force unis to follow their ruling. Unis can ignore final decisions by the OIA and there are no statutory consequences.
Micha3l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
if uni ignores the OIA's decision, this case can be taken to the court and the court is likely to rule in favour of the OIA's decision or against the UNI. they are an adjudicator and alternative to court.

the other problem is that the OIA are sly and try to cheat in favour of unis..
Micha3l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SYAA)
Thanks for the advice. I have decided to challenge the decision and have sought further clarification from the OIAHE. I know you say the OIA is the best place to resolve complaints, but I simply cannot see how they are impartial. They invite students to go through the complaints process. This is time consuming and very stressful. in my case the University has questionable teaching methods. I had cause to complain and went through the University's own complaints procedure. When this was exhausted I approached the OIAHE and I was told that I had sufficient grounds to complain. I feel as I though I've just been put through the motions and that the result is a forgone conclusion.
I'll keep you informed of the outcome.
hey, how is your case? did you contact the Match Sols? What did they say?
bubblea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
We have a group complaint with the OIA that has been going on for over a year (5 months with OIA)...

Please tell me that they at least sometimes rule in a student's favour? Feeling a bit deflated now

Is the facebook page mentioned earlier still going? I couldn't find it
Micha3l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by bubblea)
We have a group complaint with the OIA that has been going on for over a year (5 months with OIA)...

Please tell me that they at least sometimes rule in a student's favour? Feeling a bit deflated now

Is the facebook page mentioned earlier still going? I couldn't find it
it is very difficult to get a judgment in favour of a student. Even when the case is in student's favour they try to cheat etc.. they are lawyers and they strategically try to find in favour of Unis.

You should also know that they will dismiss your complaint if it relates to the merits. They can review only whether the Uni followed its own procedures. It is not going to make such findings that the court would normally do.
bubblea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks for the info... Should get an answer by Friday so I'll let the thread know how we do. 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
bubblea
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Surprise, surprise! The OIA found our complaint unjustified. The university found 2 of our complaints justified and 7 partly justified but the OIA were only looking into how the uni dealt with our complaint, not the actual complaint.

I really don't want to let this go but will have to...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Micha3l
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
yes. they do not consider complaints on merits they look into the procedure only and finds whether the uni has dealt with the complaint adequately in order to resolve it.
if the uni found your complaint justified then there must be a resolution in place and the OIA will therefore dismiss your complaint.

sounds odd but this is how they work... if the Uni has taken steps to resolve the case, the OIA will not help.
SSteph
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Megajules)
Hi mate,

I cannot find this group on Facebook.Is it still opened?
SSteph
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by SYAA)
Any update on your issue? Any opinion for Match Solicitors?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (83)
18.74%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (90)
20.32%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (84)
18.96%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (96)
21.67%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (44)
9.93%
I haven't started researching yet (46)
10.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise