Advice for Y11? Watch

purpleh4ze
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey there (I'm new on here so I apologise if I'm posting this in the wrong place :facepalm:)

I start Year 11 very soon and I was wondering if there is anyone who has left school that can give me some serious advice on how to survive it... In Year 10 I was kind of lazy and did the stupid thing of not listening in any of my Chemistry & History lessons, and most of my Biology lessons (and I'm not kidding, I swear I slept through the whole of studying C1 in Chemistry). Which is why I'm worried and I don't want it to become a problem when exams get closer. I really need to get myself in gear with Chemistry & History, and sometimes I feel so much pressure from my family to do well in my exams just because my brother didn't do well.
I'm really worried for this final year and need some reassurance and advice on revision, and also not breaking down/tearing my hair out in the process? lol
Lokiofasgard
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by purpleh4ze)
X
Firstly, you can turn it around (so don't start tearing out your hair!). I was getting Bs in History throughout year 10 and year 11- got an A* in the end. Just take some time to go through the course and try to learn it- c1 is very easy for this as it isn't proper chemistry (unlike c3, which is closer to as level) and basically just requires rote learning. Same with biology- focus on exam technique and learning key words and their definitions.

As for History, all I focused on was learning specific facts (i.e. key dates and numbers- you could learn fatality figures or population statistics) and exam technique.

I hope that helps slightly!
purpleh4ze
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Lokiofasgard)
Firstly, you can turn it around (so don't start tearing out your hair!). I was getting Bs in History throughout year 10 and year 11- got an A* in the end. Just take some time to go through the course and try to learn it- c1 is very easy for this as it isn't proper chemistry (unlike c3, which is closer to as level) and basically just requires rote learning. Same with biology- focus on exam technique and learning key words and their definitions.

As for History, all I focused on was learning specific facts (i.e. key dates and numbers- you could learn fatality figures or population statistics) and exam technique.

I hope that helps slightly!
Thanks so much! This gave me some reassurance. I've just finished my first day and I was having a bit of a panic because I felt like I was very far behind, but I think with some hard work I'll get there. I'm just currently catching up on a lot of History.
Chloephilips98
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just work hard, go to ur teachers for help and there's this website for science my-gcse science.com it has videos on everything u need to know for chemistry, physics and biology. I had most of year 10 of with illness missed half of the work in lessons and came out with 3 A's in history and double science 3 B's in English lit, language and art 2 C's in business and maths and a D in French, but French is **** and worthless to me any way so I don't care lol. Also my target grade for history was a C but I worked my ass of and got an a moral of the story is, work your ass of and start revision early
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 31 Jul '19
  • Staffordshire University
    Postgraduate open event - Stoke-on-Trent campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 7 Aug '19
  • University of Derby
    Foundation Open Event Further education
    Wed, 7 Aug '19

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice now or on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (132)
18.78%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (70)
9.96%
No I am happy with my course choice (401)
57.04%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (100)
14.22%

Watched Threads