The Student Room Group

5 AS levels?

I want to take five AS levels; Chemistry, Biology, English Lit, History & Psychology. I am aware that these a levels are harder than others however I'm really interested in all these subjects, I know that doing five as levels doesn't grant any advantage over taking four as levels, I do not plan on carrying these to A2. My GCSE grades were average and could've been better; I got 4 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's. My question is would it be a good idea to take five as levels and would I be able to get A's and B's in all of these? Has anyone ever done it and actually done well? In the future, I either want to do Medicine, Law or Psychology at University.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Plenty of people do 5 AS Levels and do very well. I myself got 5As. Remember that you can always take 5 and then drop one if you find the workload is too much after a few weeks.

However, you should be careful that you don't over-stretch yourself. 4As is probably better than 3As and 2Bs, and is certainly better than 2As and 3Bs. Taking on an extra subject could affect your grades, although of course it doesn't for everyone. It's all about you individually. No-one on TSR can judge whether you're capable enough.
Reply 2
Original post by _Aqsxo
I want to take five AS levels; Chemistry, Biology, English Lit, History & Psychology. I am aware that these a levels are harder than others however I'm really interested in all these subjects, I know that doing five as levels doesn't grant any advantage over taking four as levels, I do not plan on carrying these to A2. My GCSE grades were average and could've been better; I got 4 A*'s, 3 A's and 3 B's. My question is would it be a good idea to take five as levels and would I be able to get A's and B's in all of these? Has anyone ever done it and actually done well? In the future, I either want to do Medicine, Law or Psychology at University.

Posted from TSR Mobile

There really is no need whatsoever to do 5 AS levels, I honestly don't see the appeal. If you were to take those five subjects you would have to do 9 exams in the space of around 3 weeks. The way I see it you should only do four because no university asks for 5 AS levels - you are just putting extra stress on yourself. You do realise they are a MASSIVE step up from GCSE - I know people who got all A*'s and A's at GCSE and have only managed C's/ D's at AS. In short, take four so that you are not overstretched - you could get mediocre grades in 5 subjects or good grades in 4. I know which one I'd rather. I know of only one person who goes to my college that has taken 5 AS levels, at GCSE they got 9 A*'s and 1 A..
Original post by JoshZ
There really is no need whatsoever to do 5 AS levels, I honestly don't see the appeal. If you were to take those five subjects you would have to do 9 exams in the space of around 3 weeks. The way I see it you should only do four because no university asks for 5 AS levels - you are just putting extra stress on yourself. You do realise they are a MASSIVE step up from GCSE - I know people who got all A*'s and A's at GCSE and have only managed C's/ D's at AS. In short, take four so that you are not overstretched - you could get mediocre grades in 5 subjects or good grades in 4. I know which one I'd rather. I know of only one person who goes to my college that has taken 5 AS levels, at GCSE they got 9 A*'s and 1 A..

The OP explained the appeal. They want to study those subjects. Education is about more than a bunch of letters.
Only do them if you can do well in all of them! AAAA is better than AABBB or AAABB.
Original post by _Aqsxo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Easy. Drop Psychology and English, take up Maths. This will leave you in a position to take any of those degrees in a relatively good Uni (probably any Uni for the latter two).
Reply 6
I hate maths, I'd rather not do maths again. But I want to do these subjects and I'm not sure which one not to take because I'm interested in all of them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tomfailinghelp
Easy. Drop Psychology and English, take up Maths. This will leave you in a position to take any of those degrees in a relatively good Uni (probably any Uni for the latter two).

They could do any of those degrees with the options already chosen.
Reply 8
Original post by PythianLegume
The OP explained the appeal. They want to study those subjects. Education is about more than a bunch of letters.

Yes, the OP also stated that they wanted to study medicine. I would say that getting the 'bunch of letters' required to do so is more important that studying 5 subjects you enjoy and instead only doing 4 subjects you enjoy.
Original post by JoshZ
Yes, the OP also stated that they wanted to study medicine. I would say that getting the 'bunch of letters' required to do so is more important that studying 5 subjects you enjoy and instead only doing 4 subjects you enjoy.

I never criticised that aspect of the post. I simply questioned that you couldn't see any appeal in doing 5 subjects.
Original post by PythianLegume
They could do any of those degrees with the options already chosen.

Psychology and Medicine without Maths?

Yes, that's entirely possible.
Reply 12
How is that average, 4A*s is above average.

People like me with 2A*s, 7A's and a B are at the average line.
Reply 13
Original post by VonDoom
How is that average, 4A*s is above average.

People like me with 2A*s, 7A's and a B are at the average line.

Imo they are average because I could've done much better if I hadn't of gotten lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You DO NOT NEED A-level maths for medicine; where on earth have you heard that? All the requirements are listed here for every medical school, and NONE of them require maths at A-level: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements
Reply 15
Original post by _Aqsxo
Imo they are average because I could've done much better if I hadn't of gotten lazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If I had not done Latin, and hadn't been playing games, I would have got at a minimum of 7A*s and 3A's :frown:
But anyway, I am using my GCSE grades as motivation for my A levels in which I hopefully destroy the paper.
Original post by Pectorac
You DO NOT NEED A-level maths for medicine; where on earth have you heard that? All the requirements are listed here for every medical school, and NONE of them require maths at A-level: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medical_School_A_Level_Requirements

If you go on the which university website it's clear that the vast majority of people who are accepted into a Medicine course at top universities have taken Maths, Bio and Chem at A level. So even though Maths isn't stated as a requirement it's obviously greatly advised to take if you want to study Medicine.

In fact for Cambridge ALL students took Maths, Bio and Chem.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/medicine-6-years-9000-a100
Original post by Arctic_Monkey
If you go on the which university website it's clear that the vast majority of people who are accepted into a Medicine course at top universities have taken Maths, Bio and Chem at A level. So even though Maths isn't stated as a requirement it's obviously greatly advised to take if you want to study Medicine.

In fact for Cambridge ALL students took Maths, Bio and Chem.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-of-cambridge-c05/medicine-6-years-9000-a100

That's for Cambridge; they're the only university in the whole country who actually require 3 science/maths subjects. They want biology, chemistry and one of maths or physics, so you don't actually have to take maths if you take physics. Every other medical school in the entire country gives no advantage to anybody who takes maths, and nowhere else asks for 3 science/maths subjects. Everywhere else you have just as much chance with chemistry, biology and a traditional arts subject.

UCL would rather you take an arts subject than maths: 'Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably.' http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/ubmmedsing01

Original post by Pectorac
That's for Cambridge; they're the only university in the whole country who actually require 3 science/maths subjects. They want biology, chemistry and one of maths or physics, so you don't actually have to take maths if you take physics. Every other medical school in the entire country gives no advantage to anybody who takes maths, and nowhere else asks for 3 science/maths subjects. Everywhere else you have just as much chance with chemistry, biology and a traditional arts subject.

UCL would rather you take an arts subject than maths: 'Previous study of chemistry and biology is required. Those also offering a contrasting arts subject will be looked on favourably.' http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/ubmmedsing01

But even at UCL, 80% of those accepted in the last 5 years took Maths.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/medicine-6-years-9000-a100-78780

If you are seriously looking to study Medicine at uni then I think the best option would be to take Maths, it seems you'll have a better chance of being accepted.
Original post by Arctic_Monkey
But even at UCL, 80% of those accepted in the last 5 years took Maths.
http://university.which.co.uk/university-college-london-university-of-london-u80/medicine-6-years-9000-a100-78780

If you are seriously looking to study Medicine at uni then I think the best option would be to take Maths, it seems you'll have a better chance of being accepted.

There's not enough information there to prove that. Those 80% may have been studying maths anyway, not on the hopes or pretence it would make them more likely to be accepted. 20% of people got in without it, and 1 person in 5 for medicine is quite a lot when you think about it. You can't say you have a better chance; you don't know how many of the candidates who took maths were borderline in terms of getting in or not, and how many of those who didn't take maths got offers with no difficulties. It could be any way; you don't know.

Quick Reply

Latest