The Student Room Group

Flashcards

Are flashcards useful? If so, how do you use them? I've never given them a try, however going into A-Levels I feel like trying out new revision methods. Any response is appreciated.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 1
I find them useful; I write a question on one side and the answer to that question on the other. I then go through them and identify the cards I struggle on. Mix the order of the cards up, I find that when I learn them in a specific order I am less able to recall the information if not asked for it in the order I learnt it. You can also get family and friends to test you.

BBC News published an article last year about revision techniques. A study found that two of the most effective methods of revision are spreading out study over time and self-testing to check knowledge - especially using flash cards. There's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22565912
Reply 2
Original post by Marcum
I find them useful; I write a question on one side and the answer to that question on the other. I then go through them and identify the cards I struggle on. Mix the order of the cards up, I find that when I learn them in a specific order I am less able to recall the information if not asked for it in the order I learnt it. You can also get family and friends to test you.

BBC News published an article last year about revision techniques. A study found that two of the most effective methods of revision are spreading out study over time and self-testing to check knowledge - especially using flash cards. There's the article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-22565912

Thank you very much :smile: I'm using them for my Law notes. What subject did you use them for?
Reply 3
Original post by basham97
Thank you very much :smile: I'm using them for my Law notes. What subject did you use them for?

I used them principally for biology, but also used them for definitions in physics and chemistry. They also were useful for remembering the reagents and conditions of reactions in chemistry.
Yes I absolutely love using flash cards! They work so well. I used them for the first time ever for my gcse's this yr (especially for triple science) and I ended up getting 2 A*s, 5As, 3 Bs and 1 C. Whereas before my grades were just Cs and Bs with the odd A once in a blue moon! So they do obviously work really well, which is why I'm going to be using them for my as levels this year😋.
I just used them by writing a question on one side, then the answer on the other side and you literally memorise them. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by baaboo999
Yes I absolutely love using flash cards! They work so well. I used them for the first time ever for my gcse's this yr (especially for triple science) and I ended up getting 2 A*s, 5As, 3 Bs and 1 C. Whereas before my grades were just Cs and Bs with the odd A once in a blue moon! So they do obviously work really well, which is why I'm going to be using them for my as levels this year������.
I just used them by writing a question on one side, then the answer on the other side and you literally memorise them. Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for the response :smile: What subjects are you doing at A-Level?
I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths stats and food/nutrition. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by baaboo999
I'm doing biology, chemistry, maths stats and food/nutrition. Yourself?

Posted from TSR Mobile

English Literature, Law, History and Government and Politics. I goto enroll at 12pm :smile:
I lived both years of my A levels by revision cards and at the end of the course had a pile practically touching the ceiling

Best way I found was to put questions on one side and bullet point answers and key words on the other side,(did science subjects which meant there was a difinitive answer most times) but bare in mind you'll get through revision cards incredibly quickly this way!

Quick Reply

Latest